If you are currently browsing roofing materials, either for an upcoming roof replacement or for the roof on your new construction, here are the most popular choices:
- Asphalt shingles – by far the most popular roofing material, preferred for its affordability, its visual appeal and its resistance. Shingles come in many different shapes, sizes, colors, textures and types, allowing you to choose the variety that matches your tastes, the style of your building as well as the climate zone where the building is located;
- Metal roofing – made from various alloys, metal roofing materials are very durable, very easy to install, even on top of an already existing layer of roofing material and they come in many shades and shapes, too. The material can serve you well for 50+ years without requiring special maintenance, other than regular roof cleaning and inspections;
- Clay tiles – this eco-friendly material confers and elegant appearance to any building and it can protect your building for a century. The material is available in many shapes and colors and suitable for high-pitches and low-sloping roofs alike, but you must know that is quite heavy, so you should make sure that your building is able to hold up the extra weight.
Interstate Roofing is a reputable and knowledgeable roofing company you can count on to handle all your roofing service needs.
The colors used on the exterior side of the building envelope all have an impact on how efficiently the desired temperature can be maintained inside the building. As a general rule, darker colors absorb heat, while lighter hues reflect it, but here are some more details of how the rule applies for roofs.
In terms of contact with solar radiation, the roof is the most exposed housing component, in constant daytime contact with the sun’s rays. Black or dark colored roofs absorb the heat of the sun and transmit it towards the building interior, therefore dark shades are great for cold climate areas, where any help that can make the work of the heating system is welcome. Lighter colors, on the other hand, reflect solar heat, which means that they never become as hot as dark roofs and they make it easier to maintain the air inside the building cool.
The color of your roof can, in itself, reduce the strain that your air conditioner or your heating system has to endure in respective peak periods, but to be able to make the most of the thermal protection provided by your roof, it is a good idea add insulation underneath the roof as well.
Let the experts found at https://www.interstateroof.com/ provide you with additional information to this and all your roofing service questions.
Gutter cleaning should be an important component of your spring roofing maintenance session – without clean, solid, clog-free gutters, your roof cannot eliminate water and excessive raining can damage the entire top section of your home. However, gutter cleaning involves work done standing on a ladder, so you need to pay special attention not only to the efficiency of your work, but also to your safety – here is how:
- Place the ladder on even ground and fasten it to the roof, too – if the ground on which you want to place your ladder is not sufficiently hard or even, you can use a wood board to straighten it. Place the ladder on the wood board and anchor it to the edge of the roof as well;
- Get the right tools – find a tool that you can use for scraping off even hard debris and also get a bucket in which you can collect the scraped-off dirt;
- Wear safe clothes – non-slip boots, comfortable work clothes and sturdy work gloves are essential for your safety while you are cleaning your gutters;
- Use your garden hose to flush off the downspouts – make sure you de-clog the downspouts, too – leaving them clogged would significantly decrease the efficiency of your gutter pipes.
If you are uncomfortable on a ladder or do not have the tools to complete this important task, call on Interstate Roofing in Colorado for all your roof and gutter services.
Flat roofs vary according to inclination and functionality. Some have a higher pitch than others, and some may have a special complex shape. They can also be used for several purposes. In summer, for example, they can host terraces and some owners even choose to turn them into small gardens. On a flat roof one can also store things such as exterior units of air conditioners.
There are different flat roof options and modern materials provide great protection. Flat roofs were long time covered with a mixture of concrete and gravel, but this solution is not so durable. This type of asphalt becomes fragile over time and cracks are a common occurrence. In addition, this solution is not considered a sustainable one because, during production and installation, chemicals may be released into the atmosphere.
The good news is that Fort Collins Interstate Roofing has new and improved flat roof options, such as a variety of polymer-based composite liquids. They provide a significantly increased efficiency by creating a flexible and resistant membrane that seals the roof.
A flat roof covered with adequate materials is a wise choice for many buildings, being a relatively easy-to-install and low-cost option that offers multiple possibilities for using the space. Its aspect is also an advantage if you want a modern, minimalist house or simply a more particular design.