If you have found the house of your dreams and the price is also acceptable, you must know that no matter how much you want that home, ignoring the condition of the roof and its needs can have very severe consequences. Whether or not you should leave the old roof on after (or if) you buy the property depends on several factors – here are some:
- Understanding the importance of the roof – the roof is the topmost line of defense of your home, the structure that will ensure your home’s energy efficiency and also one of the most expensive building components. When you buy a house, you need to know about all the faults that affect the roof and you should also have accurate information about how much longer you can keep the roof.
- When making your offer, you need to weigh and factor in all these aspects and the best way to ensure that you have all the facts to make an informed final decision is by hiring a trusted Fort Collins roofing company inspector to check and assess the roof for you;
- The final decision – if the roof on your dream home is not in the best condition, you should make that an argument when negotiating the price. Consider the budget you have for the roof repair or the roof replacement and make your bid based on that calculation.
Obtaining cost estimates from multiple roofers is a crucial phase in hiring the right Fort Collins roofing company for your residential project – here is why:
- The document includes everything you need to know about project costs – ideally, roofing cost estimates include not only the final amount to be paid for the roofing services. The document should include itemized lists of the products to be used on the roof, with prices for each of them as well as a list of the tasks and services provided by the roofer, with the associated labor rates;
- Giving you the big picture – labor rates and material prices vary considerably in the roofing business, that is why you should collect at least three or four estimates. Getting multiple quotes will allow you to get an idea of the prices practiced in your area and will give you ground for comparison.
The more estimates you can get, the better. When evaluating what is being offered by the contractors you have contacted, be aware that the most expensive quote is not necessarily the best and if an offer looks too good to be true, it usually is, so what you should look at while evaluating estimates is probably the offers in the mid-range.
If you are currently shopping for materials to use on your new roof, it is very important to explore all your options and to make an informed final decision.
The range of available solutions is certainly varied, but few of them offer the amazing benefits of stone coated steel – here are some that you should know about:
- An extremely lightweight material – stone coated steel is so lightweight that it hardly puts any pressure on the building it is used on, being suitable for any construction;
- Outstanding strength – stone coated metal systems are made from steel panels or from panels manufactured from some other alloy that are coated with stone chips fixed on the metal surface with acrylic film. A preferred Fort Collins roofing company substantiates that the resulting roofing materials are very strong, able to resist even the harshest weather without cracking, warping or getting otherwise damaged;
- Affordability – stone coated steel roofs, whether consisting of tiles, larger panels or pieces that feature other styles, are among the most affordable roofing systems available on the market;
- Easy installation and low maintenance needs – these systems can be installed without any special tools and they need very attention, other than occasional cleaning and inspections;
- Aesthetic appeal – stone-coated metal systems come in many colors, shapes and textures, so you can surely find the design that suits your building’s appearance.
Roof ventilation systems are composed of multiple vents installed in the roof in a way that ensures efficient air flow under the roof, in the attic space. Here are some important things to know about roof ventilation:
- Types of roof vents – roof vents come in many types, from simple devices that consist of a frame and holes to cupola-like structures and digital vents complete with thermostats that turn them on and off depending on the temperature under the roof;
- The benefits of efficient roof ventilation – in summer, roof ventilation serves the purpose of driving out hot air to reduce the temperature in the attic and the temperature of the roof, thus preventing heat damage. In winter, the vents control the quantity of moisture that accumulates in the attic space, thus preventing condensation and they also drive out warm air to prevent the melting of the layer of now that is in immediate contact with the roof surface and the formation of ice dams. A thriving Fort Collins roofing company confirms that by controlling moisture and temperature in the attic, roof vents can promote the energy-efficiency of the building by preventing energy loss and consequently reducing the amount of energy needed for cooling and heating the rooms.
Choosing the roofing material for your new roof has to go beyond aspects related to aesthetic appeal and affordability, one of the most important features to consider being the pitching angle of the roof. From the point of view of the sloping angle, there are two types of roofs: pitched roofs, sloping at a steep angle and flat roofs, that is, structures that look flat, but are usually just sloping at a very mild angle.
The two types of roofs are very different in terms of the materials that can be used – here are some examples:
- The most common materials used on sloping roofs – these structures are the most traditional roof types, either consisting of one steep slope or from two or more slopes meeting at the top. The most common materials used in pitched roofs by residential Fort Collins roofing company installers include clay and cement tiles, metal panels and shingles and asphalt shingles, each solution being available in many design versions;
- The most common materials used in flat roofs – the most popular material choices used for flat or low-sloping structures are metal sheets, synthetic membranes, including TPO and EPDM and built-up solutions, such as tar and gravel roofs or modified bitumen roofs. Green roofs, consisting of vegetation, are also very popular options.
A roof underlayment is a layer of waterproof material installed underneath the roof that serves the purpose of preventing the penetration of water under the roof covering. A reputable Fort Collins roofing company informs us that there are several types of underlayment available, asphalt-saturated felt, rubberized asphalt and synthetic, non-bitumen materials being the most common, all of them fulfilling the same important roles.
Here they are:
- An efficient moisture barrier – roof covering materials are water-resistant, but even so, they need some extra protection to prevent water penetration and that extra protection is provided by the underlayment;
- The prevention of ice damming – ice dams form when warm air rise to the roof without meeting obstacles and comes into contact with the cold roof, increasing its temperature and melting the thin layer of snow in direct contact with the roof. The roof underlayment can prevent the formation of ice dams by preventing the contact between the warm air and the cold roof;
- A more even and more attractive roofing surface – however hard your roofer might try to make the roof deck perfectly even, some denivelations still remain. The roof underlayment can straighten those bumps and valleys, ensuring that your roof surface will be perfectly even and much more attractive than it would be without that layer.
Any roof, even the strongest, best-kept ones, might need repairs every once in a while. Here are some of the most common types of roof repairs completed by an established Fort Collins roofing company:
- Roof leaks – these issues can be caused by many things, from damaged or ripped-off roof covering materials to cracked or detached flashing. A leak can take many forms, from droplets accumulating on the surfaces under the roof to the appearance of mold in your rooms to damp patches on the ceiling or even water pouring in your rooms;
- Gutter damage – the drainage system that surrounds your roof is an important part of your roofing system and also a frequent cause of roof damage. The most common gutter issues are clogging and sagging, both problems being quite easy to correct, but that can lead to severe water damage if neglected;
- Shrinkage – when roofing materials are exposed to extreme heat, they expand, while cold temperatures cause materials to shrink. When your roof is exposed to rapidly changing temperatures, they might shrink for good, becoming very brittle and exposing the deeper layers of the roofing structure to the elements. The best solution is usually the replacement of the affected components.
If you need a new roof, it means that you also need a good Fort Collins roofer. The process of hiring a really good contractor needs to include an interview during which you discuss several topics that are relevant for your roofing project – here are some such topics:
- Credentials – roofers are required to obtain a state-issued license to be allowed to practice and they are also required to have insurance. Ask the prospective roofer to show you copies of these documents as well as copies of any other relevant certificates;
- The roofing process – ask your roofer to walk you through the roofing process and to provide a detailed explanation of all the steps involved. Ask questions about the warranties offered on the roofing materials and the labor, about how the job site will be prepared before the project and cleaned afterwards, how the generated waste will be disposed of;
- Get a written cost estimate – ask the Fort Collins roofer to include all the details of your roofing project into a written cost estimate and study the document very carefully.
Ideally, you should repeat the above procedure three or four times, with different roofers, to find the Fort Collins roofing company that offers the best quality and the best terms and conditions.
Finding a roofing contractor can be a daunting task and, considering the very high costs related to a roof replacement, you surely want to be sure that you hire the best of the best.
Choosing a local roofer has some particular benefits that cannot be ignored.
Knowledge of local weather and building codes
Local knowledge is extremely important when it comes to roofing, because a roof must be chosen primarily according to the local climate. Besides, building codes and permits vary from state to state, but you can be sure than a local roofer is familiar with all of these.
A local roofer will be there, supervising the job site and interacting with you directly. You will not receive that from out-of-area franchises, as they mostly work with subcontractors.
A local roofer will be there when you need it, readily available to help you or to respond to your questions.
A locally licensed Fort Collins roofing company will most likely be very reliable and work with you to understand your needs and meet your expectations. That`s because local companies are a part of the community and they have a reputation to protect right there.
You help your community
Each time you opt for local services, you invest in the well being of your community.
The two principle types of contractors that you can hire for a construction or remodeling project are general contractors and specialized contractors. In many cases, the activities performed by the two types of contractors and the services they provide might overlap, but there are several important differences as well. Here are some:
- The services provided – general contractors usually provide services of overseeing and coordinating the various phases of the construction project and the work of the specialized contractors, while licensed contractors usually work as the subcontractors of general contractors and provide specialized services, such as plumbing, excavation, masonry, electrical installation or painting;
- Who to turn to – general contractors are usually hired for complex projects that require the simultaneous management of multiple processes, while licensed, specialty contractors are the businesses that you should turn to if you need just one or two types of specialized work, such as the installation of a new roof by a credentialed Fort Collins roofing company or the building of a masonry fireplace;
- Licenses – in many states, general contractors are not required to be licensed (except the general contractors that also provide specialized services through their own teams), but most states have very strict regulations and requirements in place regarding the licensing of specialized contractors.