Correct calculations are key when it comes to any kind of building project, the installation of a new metal roof included, so here are a few things that you should know about how metal roofing cost estimates are calculated by a business savvy Fort Collins roofer:
- The amount of material calculated based on your roof’s square footage – metal roofing materials consist of large panels or sheets that need to be available in sufficient quantity to cover the roof surface. The size is usually expressed in squares, an imperial unit of measurement used in the US and equaling 100 square feet. How you arrive at that the number of squares is irrelevant for the pricing, which means that the price for a 1 square roof will be the same for a roof that measures 10 feet x 10 feet or 2 feet x 50 feet and so on;
- The price of the fasteners – metal roofs come in the form of kits that include all the fasteners needed to assemble the roof. The price of the fasteners will be added to the price of the roof covering material;
- Labor rates – the final price of your metal roof will consist not only of the materials used, but of the labor cost of the Fort Collins roofer as well.
Slate is a fine-grained, natural rock that has been used for building roofs since roofs exist. The traditional material is quite expensive and it is also heavy, which makes it suitable only for solid buildings able to support that weight.
Slate roofing comes with qualities that make it stand out – here are some:
- Unique appearance – no two pieces of slate have the exact same graining and color, so every slate roof is unique. Slate products are also available in a wide variety of shapes and styles, allowing any homeowner to find the best match for the overall style of their architecture;
- Durability – A candid Fort Collins roofer adept in slate roofing substantiates that slate is a hard and strong material that is unaffected by harsh weather. The roofs built from the natural stone can stand up to gale-force winds, heavy rain and snow, harsh sunshine as well as to temperature extremes;
- Longevity – correctly installed slate roofs can last for around a century without needing any special maintenance, other than regular cleaning and inspections, like other roof types;
- Easy repair – slate roofs consist of small pieces of stone installed individually. This feature makes repair quick and easy – if a piece sustains damage, the damaged square can be simply removed and replaced with a new piece.
Wood is used less and less, but it is still among the most attractive roofing materials, appreciated by many homeowners. Wooden roofing materials come in two basic forms: shakes and shingles. For the inexperienced eye, the two might look quite similar, but in fact there are many important differences between the two.
According to a seasoned Fort Collins roofer, these are the main differences:
- The distinctive features of wood shingles – single wood shingles in a batch are cut from the same piece of wood, therefore they feature a smooth, uniform appearance across the entire roof. They are manufactured with machines, which only ensures more uniformity;
- The distinctive features of wood shakes – shakes are also manufactured with machines, but the technology is more complex, adding a special texture that makes the shakes look as if they were split by hand on one side and smooth on the other. Shakes are different from shingles in terms of thickness – they are much thicker, much bulkier than shingles, which confers wood shake roofs a distinctive appearance.
Wood shakes and shingles are also similar in many ways, one of the most important similarities being the availability of three types of grains: edge grain, that offers the highest level of durability and strength; flat grain, that is cheaper, but also more fragile and slash grain, the cheapest variety that also comes with less attractive appearance.
Heat can be unbearable not only for humans, animals and plants – it can cause severe roof damage as well. Fortunately, there are several good ways to prevent heat damage on your roof – here are some tips offered by a knowledgeable Fort Collins roofer:
- Ensure that your roof is installed properly – using the right type of materials on your roof and ensuring that all the layers are correctly installed, including the sheathing and the underlayment is essential for a roof that is able to withstand high solar heat;
- Proper ventilation – any roof should have at least two vents to ensure that the air is able to move under the roof to vent out hot air. In very hot climate regions, it is a good idea to have more than two vents and to check the vents regularly for clogs and other damage;
- Light-colored materials – the lighter the color of the roofing surface, the more heat it reflects;
- Using roof coats – most types of roof surfaces can be treated with coatings to enhance particular qualities. You can today find many products that serve the purpose of improving the roof’s ability to reflect heat, thus preventing the roof damage caused by heat – most of these products are similar to paint and they are applied like paint, too.
Utility costs make up a significant amount of the monthly expenses of any household. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to reduce those costs while also making your home greener – here are some:
- Check the seals around the doors and the windows – the gaps around the openings on your walls are a very common culprit for energy loss. Check those sealings and replace them if they seem to have lost their ability to provide a good enough energy barrier;
- Fix leaky appliances – a dripping faucet can cause gallons of lost and wasted water each month. Check your fixtures and faucets and repair any leak that you find – the results will be visible on your water bills almost instantly;
- Use water and electricity wisely – turn off the faucet while you are scrubbing your dishes and have no need for running water; shower instead of taking long baths in your tubs and turn off the lights whenever you are leaving the room;
- Use energy-efficient bulbs – modern LED lights use about 70% less energy than conventional bulbs and they also last much longer, contributing a lot to your energy savings;
- Install insulation under your roof – A respected Fort Collins roofer confirms that the roof is among the largest structures through which energy can escape, therefore installing insulation in your attic makes lots of sense.
Hailstorms cause roof damage worth at least $15 billion each year in the United States, accounting for a little less than half of all roof damage claims filed to insurers. Some forms of hail damage are quite obvious, while others more concealed. Calling a storm damage repair Fort Collins roofer to perform a detailed inspection of your roof after each hailstorm is very important for being able to act quickly if necessary. Here is what to look for to find out whether your roof has sustained any hail damage:
- Granule loss on shingle roofs – the topmost layer of roofing shingles consists of mineral granules that serve the purpose of protecting the shingles from harsh weather. Hail can dislodge those granules, leaving the shingle mat exposed and vulnerable;
- Cracks – the most common sign of hail damage on roofs made from asphalt shingles, cement tiles or clay is cracks in the roof covering elements;
- Dents and punctures on metal – metal roofs as well as the metal flashing and metal gutters used on roofs made from other materials can develop smaller or larger cracks or holes as a result of the impact caused by hail stones. Small hail stone can cause cosmetic damage in the form of dents – these issues usually do not require repair, but they do need to be monitored because they might turn into more severe damage.
A GAF Master Elite contractor is a roofer who is certified by GAF, one of the largest, oldest and most prestigious manufacturers of roofing materials in North America. The certification is so difficult to obtain that only about 3% of all roofers can achieve the approval. A GAF-certified roofers need to be licensed and insured, they need to have a very high rating with the BBB, at least a 99% percent rating in GAF satisfaction surveys, a great banking record and no unresolved complaints from previous customers. The GAF Master Elite certification process also involves the attendance in numerous training courses and workshops to learn about new roofing technologies and materials.
GAF Master Elite roofers being so highly trained and knowledgeable of their trade, they usually work for higher rates than non-certified contractors. However, their higher fees are guarantees that your roof will be in the best hands – whether you need complex roof repair or a brand-new roof, a GAF Master Elite Fort Collins roofer will know how to best handle the project. These high-profile roofing experts also offer solid warranty on their workmanship and they will guarantee that your home will enjoy the highest level of safety with the repaired roof or with the new roof installed.
It is not uncommon for profitable businesses to start giving back to the community that has made them successful, engaging in sponsorships, donations and charity work. If you are currently in need of a roofer and you are also a responsible member of your community, finding a roofing specialist who is, just like you, dedicated to helping the community might be an idea that appeals to you.
Here are some ways to find such a community minded Fort Collins roofer:
- Follow local charitable events – whether you attend the events yourself or read about them in the local newspaper or through your news feed, pay attention to any news about local roofers offering their help to people who need it;
- Check the websites of local roofers – most roofers who participate in charity events or give back to their community otherwise usually provide presentations of their charitable activities on their websites. They do that not to brag about their good deeds, but to show a positive example to follow;
- Look on social media – networking platforms are also great sources of information about local charity events and the roofing contractors who have participated or will attend. You can use social media to find out about donation projects and the local contractors committed to these causes.
Shortly, everywhere! The internet is your best resource, but you should also ask people around you – someone might be able to make you a recommendation. However, you will have to do some research for ensuring that you are hiring the best Fort Collins roofer.
You should contact a few different recommended Fort Collins roofers and ask for written estimates, to be able to compare them. Make sure you get complete estimates that detail each step of the roofing project and each important detail, including the price and payment options.
Talk to each company’s representative who looks at your roof and learn as much as you can about the services you can get from them. Do not jump at the lowest price offer and make sure to watch out for potential hidden fees. Ask for a portfolio and look for other accomplished roofing projects, similar to yours. This way, you can see if the company has enough experience to do what you want it to do about your roof. Ask for a list of previous clients and contact them; the word of mouth is often the best advertisement for a Fort Collins roofer and you can make an idea on the company`s professionalism from the level of satisfaction of its previous clients.
Check a roofing company`s license and certifications; you need to be sure that it is registered and properly insured, to avoid experiencing legal issues.
Roof cleaning is essential for keeping your roof in good health, regardless of the type of the structure or of the material it is made from. Here is why cleanliness is so important for roofs:
- Damage prevention – a popular Fort Collins roofer affirms that regular roof cleaning is the best way to relieve the roof from the unnecessary and dangerous burden of accumulated dirt and to achieve the clean surface that can be inspected to detect any faults;
- Getting rid of discoloration – even roofs that are not covered in dirt can develop discolorations. The usual culprits for the issue are algae and moss growths, both easy to remove, but unsightly if left to proliferate;
- Attractive appearance – the roof fulfills not only multiple important practical roles, but has an aesthetic role as well. A clean roof is always more attractive than a dirty, neglected one, so roof cleanliness is important for curb appeal as well;
- Improved energy-efficiency – a clean roof has a better thermal performance because it is able to disperse heat more efficiently than a structure covered in debris. Very often, roof cleaning has an almost instant positive effect on energy bills, starting to reduce energy expenses significantly right after the cleaning session.