The problems that can occur with a roof are multiple, from the simple discoloration of the cover materials, the damage or detachment of certain parts, to water infiltrations that affect the structure of the construction and may cause a variety of moisture-related problems, including mold. In extreme cases, where the materials were of doubtful quality, and the owners did not turn to roof repair services as soon as they should have, there is also the risk of a roof collapse, which would endanger not only the entire construction, but the safety of the occupants too.
To prevent such situations, you need to know that, regardless of the type of roof covering, the roof needs to be inspected at least twice a year. Failing to identify roof damage in time automatically generates more damage, as well as more (and often unexpected!) additional expenses.
When it comes the time to repair a roof covering system, it is advisable to opt for high-quality materials, but also for professional services. An expert Fort Collins roofer is best able to offer you the support for fixing your roof. Do not look for cheap solutions, but for professional repair practices that, even if they cost a little more, will provide you with a regulated framework that simplifies the situation when problems arise and protects your rights as a consumer.
The works performed by a licensed roofing company involve the existence of a contract and a warranty certificate, which are non-existent when you leave your roof in the hands of an amateur.
Not many people may know this but having a roofing warranty is like having insurance. If anything happens to your roof, professional roofers will come and help you. That’s why having this warranty is such a big thing. When the warranty expires, you should make sure that you extend it. This can be done in a number of ways. Firstly, you can call on the same company that offered you the warranty in the first place. Usually, an honest Fort Collins roofer will extend the warranty on something that they did. That’s because having loyal clients is important.
Secondly, you can go to another company and get your roofing warranty. But if you choose to go with another company than the one that built your roof in the first place, there will be some things that you will have to do before you get the new warranty. For starters, an assessment of the roof will be done by a professional sent by them. This is because they need to know how well the roof has held-up since it was installed. Then, they will have to make sure that they can get the materials used for the roof and have somebody to work with them.
Metal shingles are some of the most popular roofing materials that tend to surpass common asphalt shingles, due to the indisputable advantages related to functionality and performance, as well as appearance.
A metal roof is one of the most advantageous options when it comes to installing a roofing system due to the fact that it offers a wider range of sustainable solutions for functional and aesthetic buildings that meet the highest quality requirements.
Here is a list of great reasons that could convince to opt for a metal roof:
- Maintenance costs are minimal, and maintenance operations are very easy to perform.
- When you install a metal roof, it is not necessary to disassemble the old roofing system. A metal roof is lightweight and can be installed as an additional layer. Moreover, the versatility of this material allows it to fit to almost any roof shape and structure.
- Metal shingles are reflective, providing increased resistance to UV radiation as well as better energy efficiency.
- A metal roof ensures tightness and a uniform appearance.
- It provides a great price-quality ratio.
- It can be easily installed and it has a neat and uniform aspect.
- A metal roof is 100% recyclable.
For optimal functionality and uniform design, an expert Fort Collins roofer recommends choosing metal roofing accessories from the same manufacturer, because in this way, there will be no differences in color shades or quality.
Since ancient times, mankind has built shelters, and roofs have become part of them. Their purpose is to protect you from the weather and cold, but their functionality is not the only important aspect. Over time, roof manufacturing has been refined to become almost an art, adapting to various architectural styles. Nowadays, the harmony between the building and the roof plays an important role in curb appeal improvement.
It has certainly happened to you, at least once, to admire a newly built house. Every time, the first thing that catches your eye is the roof, and that’s because this is the main visual element of the aesthetics of that building. The identity of a building is given, to a large extent, by the shape and aspect of the roof.
When choosing a roof, the visual impact should be as pleasant as possible because it will give the house a certain personality. Choosing a roof that retains a captivating identity can provide residents with extra spiritual comfort.
For example, if you have a Mediterranean-style house, you can choose ceramic tiles, which are traditionally associated with this style. It will surely look great with a wooden roof if you have a rustic home, while metal shingles will complete just great modern architectural styles.
You will also be able to choose from an extremely varied color range. A knowledgeable Fort Collins roofer affirms that most roof shingles and tiles can now be produced in dozens of glossy or matte shades, which can contrast with the barricades of the building or match its shades.
The roofing on your home is an investment into the attractive appearance, the safety, the comfort and the value of your property and also one of the most important components of your building. The roofing on your home is also a building component that is sturdy and sensitive at the same time, therefore any process of installation, repair or maintenance should be handled with all these features in mind.
Fort Collins roofing experts usually warn anyone considering an amateur roofing job that any task performed incorrectly can do more harm than good and can also involve dangers. Here are some reasons outlined by a credible Fort Collins roofer about why you should never attempt work on your residential roof:
- The risk of falling – roofing work is dangerous work for anyone not used to performing activities at heights and in awkward positions. To avoid any accidents caused by inexperience, you should never perform any work on your roof and you should leave all those tasks to professionals.
- The risks of not following procedures – even the simplest roofing task needs to follow certain steps. Most amateur roofers are not familiar with the techniques to be used for roof repairs and their less than professional work can cause more harm than good.
- The risk of losing warranty coverage – the manufacturer’s warranty that comes with the materials used on your roof is valid only if the installation, repair and maintenance work on the roof is performed by licensed professionals. Any work performed by an amateur will lead to the voiding of the warranty.
Today, metal roofs are among the most popular roofing systems used in all climate areas and for all sorts of buildings. The systems made from metal come in a variety of styles and types. The best way to ensure that the structure you get on your building meets your expectations is to prepare a checklist and evaluate the available metal systems based on the categories in that checklist. Here are some categories to include in your checklist:
- Material price – while some types of metal roofs, such as aluminum and steel are among the cheapest solutions, others, such as copper or zinc-coated materials are more expensive. To be able to pick the best alloy, start the evaluation process with allocating a budget to the roof replacement project. Contacting a respected Fort Collins roofer with metal roofing experience is a great way to start to gather pertinent information.
- Material weight – not all the metal alloys used for making roofing systems weigh the same. Before picking your material, check the weight bearing capacity of your building and make sure that the alloy you choose matches this capacity.
- Resistance – not all metal alloys can withstand the elements with the same efficiency. Not all of them are resistant to corrosion and chemical spills in the same way. Before you pick your material, make sure to find out how the alloys you have in mind fare in that respect.
Residential roofing is a profession that requires dexterity, responsibility and knowledge about how to handle a variety of materials and products. Here are some of the most common tools and pieces of equipment used by residential roofers that help them achieve all that:
- Ladders – a well prepared Fort Collins roofer does not ask clients to provide the ladders to use for climbing to the roof, but they have their own;
- Personal safety equipment – a responsible roofer is a professional who takes care not only to handle roofing materials as they should be handled, but also someone who takes care of their own safety. Consequently, one of the most important pieces of equipment used by residential roofers is their personal safety gear composed of harnesses with anchoring units, work gloves, helmets and work shoes;
- Hammers – specialized roofing hammers are among the most frequently used tools of any roofer;
- Nailers – no roofer refuses a little powered help. Driving in nails and other fasteners is a task that takes up most of the time off roofers, so a powered nailer is among their most frequently used tools;
- Utility knives – these sharp tools do an excellent service whenever roofers need to cut something or when they need to elaborate a nail or a screw as well.
The roof on your home plays several, very important roles that include not only aesthetics, but also energy efficiency and safety. To make sure that your roof is able to fulfill all these roles, you need to be sure that any and every installation, repair and maintenance procedure is performed the right way – here are some more details about why you always need an experienced roofer for working on the top most structure on your home:
- safety comes first – roofing repair jobs can be highly dangerous for the roof as well as for the person performing the repair if proper safety and technical measures are not respected. The best way to ensure that your roof is repaired as it should as well as that the person working on the roof is safe is by hiring a Fort Collins roofer with safety training who knows exactly what they are doing;
- warranty on the workmanship – the only way to have a warranty on the repair work performed on your roof is to turn to a professional roofer. Amateur repairs threaten not only the aggravation of the initial roofing problem, but also the voiding of the warranty on the roofing materials. All this means that apparent savings that might look attractive when undertaking DIY roof repairs is just apparent – in fact, going up to fix your own roof is not worthwhile at all.
When it comes to upgrading your home, one of the structures that are the costliest to refresh or to replace is the roof. Fortunately, there are many ways to upgrade your roof without having to replace it altogether. Here are some such ways:
- Install insulation – insulation that you can install underneath the roof, in the attic area, comes in many forms from blankets to be placed on the attic floor to foam to be injected and two gaps and several other options. Whatever you choose, the benefits are instant and incredible, the temperature in your attic becoming stabilized right away and the temperature of the roof being free from extremes too;
- Replacing roof vents – roofing ventilation is an important through feature that cannot be achieved without having proper efficient vents. Have a trustworthy Fort Collins roofer check the existing vents on your roof and decide whether ventilation is a point for improvement. If it is, make sure that you have two efficient vents, one at the base of the roof and one under the ridge to ensure that the air always moves around;
- Apply a roof coating – roof coats today come in several types from products that improve the roof’s resistance to water penetration to coatings that prevent the harm caused by the sun’s rays. All coating products are quick and easy to apply and they can be used to upgrade your roof’s strength and energy-efficiency.
When it comes to the replacement of the roof on your home, you might be tempted to try to save some money by performing the removal of the old roof and the installation of the new roof on your own or with help from some friends, especially if your roof is not very large and it is not complex either. However, the decision to handle the roof replacement yourself is not a good idea. A Fort Collins roofer near me advises strongly against DIY roofing. Here are some arguments why you should leave roof installation to the professionals:
- DIY roofing will not save you money – roof installation, even on simple roofs, with materials that are simple to install, requires experience and knowledge to perform correctly. Any installation mistake can cost you dearly – the roof you install might not be as resistant to the elements as you want it to be and it might be more prone to leaks and other forms of damage;
- Voided warranty – the warranty that you have on your roofing materials is valid only as long as the materials are installed by a professional roofer. Any roofing work performed by an unlicensed person leads to the voiding of the manufacturer’s warranty.