Either you want to improve the curb appeal of your home or looking forward to selling it, deciding on a new colors scheme will greatly improve the value of a home. Just like any project done to a home, repainting the exterior is a major investment and one must be sure that the right color scheme has been chosen.
Some may want to completely change the look of the home and repainting could achieve just that. There are many color choices to choose from. A good place to start before choosing a color would be by choosing the preferred shading. Do you want the home to have a darker color, mid-tone or light? The color of the roof must also be taken into consideration. When a home is being constructed, the right color scheme can be chosen from the start. However, if the home needs repainting, the chosen color should fit and complement the roof above. Experienced Denver roofing companies will have a good sense on what style, color, and materials best match your home, budget, and neighborhood vibe.
Most people use neutral color on almost the entire house which is complemented by different accents. The different accents of colors could come from windows, doors and stutters. Their color should contrast the overall color of the home. So, if the main color of the home is a type of neutral light color, going with darker window frames and stutters could create a strong composition, having the home looking like it’s making a statement.
On the opposite end, if the majority of the home is painted using darker shades, for example, navy blue, having white window frames and stutters will create a sharp contrast, making them stand out. The main thing to avoid when choosing a color scheme is to avoid matching colors that when put together blend, giving the exterior a monotone and boring aspect.
When it comes to roofs, the wind is among the most harmful of nature’s elements – according to the statistics, as much as one quarter of all reported roof damage is caused by strong winds. While winds can affect any part of the roof, the areas that are exposed to the highest risk of damage are the parts that stand out, such as the roof ridge, the corners and the edges of the roof. Wind can grab even components that hang as little as an inch over the edge – the moving air can get underneath the component, lifting it and ripping it off along with adjacent parts.
The easiest and safest way to detect wind damage on the roof is by looking at it from the ground first, then taking a closer look at the roof from up there. Grab a pair of binoculars and inspect the roof – if there is any severe damage, issues that involve torn or completely missing components, you will be able to spot the problems easily. However, wind can also cause less conspicuous damage, such as components that have been chipped or slightly displaced – to detect them all, you will need to climb up to the roof on a ladder and check the surface from there.
Better yet, count on renowned Denver roofing companies to inspect and repair your damaged roof as needed. You can trust in their experience and honest services.
Roofs can stand up to a lot, but not to everything – the harmful effects of the weather as well as neglect can all damage them. According to expert Denver roofing companies here are some of the most common ways that roofs get damaged:
- Storm damage – strong sunshine, winds, heavy rain, snow and hail can all damage roofs. The wind can sweep off roofing components, water, whether in liquid or frozen form, can enter areas where it harms the roof components made from materials sensitive to excessive moisture, while the impact caused by hail stones can cause mechanical damage, such as cracks, displacement, chipping, dents and curling. The sun’s rays are not gentle on roofs either – solar radiation can weaken the material that the roof is made from, fading its color and making it prone to developing rust, corrosion and leaks;
- Neglect – this is another very common cause of roof damage. Most forms of deterioration start as small and easy to remedy problems. However, if the roof owner neglects roof maintenance duties, the small initial problems usually aggravate very quickly, turning into severe damage that can affect not only the roof surface, but the deeper, structural layers of the roof as well as the attic underneath.
Stains and discolorations are among the most common roofing issues, especially in regions that are close to large bodies of saltwater or fresh water. Unfortunately, the problem is not merely a cosmetic issue, but in most cases, it is not very difficult to solve. Here are some things quality conscious Denver roofing companies want you to know about roof stains:
- Dark brown or black stains – usually caused by an infestation with algae or fungus or by a bleed-through of the asphalt layer on shingle roofs. The issue can be remedied with adequate algae and fungus removal substances or through the replacement of the components affected by the extractive bleeding;
- Dark grey, sticky stains, moss and lichens – these spots are most often caused by the secretion of a tree right above the roof. The shade provided by the tree might also favour the growth of moss and lichen. The best way to address the issue is to trim the tree and to clean the roof with some water mixed with a suitable detergent;
- Rust stains – rust appears on metal surfaces, including not only the roof surface, but metal flashing and gutters as well. Metal roof components become affected by rust when the surface treatment gets damaged or weakened and the metal comes into direct contact with moisture. To solve the problem, the rust must be removed with a brush or with suitable, rust removal products, then the surface coating needs to be restored, too.
Summer has come into its own, so it is time to consider performing a roof inspection to ensure that your roof is ready to withstand UV rays and potential summer storms. Most problems can be detected by checking the general aspect of the roof.
If you find the following issues, you should be aware that they will worsen shortly enough, because of exposure to the sun and other weather phenomena that may occur during the summer.
- Cracked, curled or deformed shingles
- Missing shingles
- Closed or missing ridge closure accessories
- Mold and moss formation
- Shingles that lose their granulation
- Flashing problems
- Rusty accessories
- Dry rot spotted in the roof`s structure
- Lose shingles
- Problems with the pluvial drainage system
Checking the attic or the space under the roof for water infiltrations and ventilation issues is also extremely important and should be done periodically. Even some aspects that may seem minor need to be resolved immediately. Troubleshooting and maintaining the roof to an optimal performance standard is the most affordable solution to ensure the roof’s durability and functionality. If you are unable to carry out the roof inspection safely and solve the problems you have discovered, we recommend that you call specialized Denver roofing companies.
Roof leaks appear when the water from rain or from melted snow penetrate the deeper layers of the roofing structure and from there into the attic. The water tends to accumulate on the attic floor, soaking it until the dampness appears on the ceiling of the rooms on the topmost level of the building. Depending on the amount of water that has accumulated in the attic and on the size of the pond, you might get a single leak or the leak might take the form of multiple leaks, that is, multiple bulges on the ceiling, all filled with water and then multiple holes through which water is pouring into the roof from upwards. To be able to detect the source of the leak, you need to have Denver roofing companies inspect the roof from outside as well as the attic space – here is how:
- Check the roof standing on the ground – large leaks can sometimes be detected from the ground. Look up on the roof to check for missing or damaged components;
- Check the attic – go to the attic right after the rain and find the pond of water or the damp patch through which water has entered your room. Thread carefully – if the water has soaked into the attic floor, it might be very dangerous to step on the floor.
Metal roofs are made from alloys resistant to corrosion and rust, but even so, rusty spots can appear, turning into more extended damage very quickly. When detected in time, roof rust is easy to remove and to treat – here is how:
- Clean the affected area or, even better, the entire roof – it is easier to detect rust and to assess the severity of the damage on a clean roof, so start the process cleaning at least the affected area with a mixture of water and a mild detergent. Use a hard brush to eliminate any dirt and removable rust;
- Check for rusted fasteners – screws, nails and washers tend to rust sooner than the metal panels that make up your roof. Check the fasteners on your roof and replace any damaged nails, screws and washers. Clean the areas around the replaced fasteners and fill them with some roof cement to prevent the rust from spreading;
- If you find larger rusty patches that might affect the integrity of your roof, you might want to consider replacing the affected panel;
- Have knowledgeable Denver roofing companies apply a protective coating – there are lots of roof coating products available that can efficiently prevent the appearance of rust on roofs. Apply a suitable product on your roof and don’t forget to repeat the procedure every couple of years to ensure proper protection.
Hail can damage any type of roof – really large hail stones can get at even the strongest, most durable roofing. The signs of the damage sustained can vary by the roofing system affected – here are the most common roofing materials and the respective signs that indicate hail damage:
- Shingle roofs – dents, curling sides, punctures, cracks, bruises and missing surface granules are the most common signs of hail damage on asphalt shingles;
- Metal roofs – metal roofing systems are extremely durable and resistant, but the point-like impact caused by hail stones can cause dents and deformation of the components. The severity of the deformations varies by the alloy used as well – steel is the most resistant to hail damage, while aluminium and copper can get dented more easily;
- Clay and cement tiles – these components are considered to be among the longest-lasting roofing materials, but both clay and cement are rigid material, prone to chipping, cracking and breaking when they are affected by impact.
Whatever type of roofing system you have on your building, the damage caused by hail must be taken seriously – the affected parts are weakened and they are prone to developing leaks than they used to be before the hail storm, so have Denver roofing companies fix hail damage as soon as you can.
If you have an older roof, it stands to reason that you should have a budget ready for possible roof repairs, until such time that you might be able to replace it. Since a roof replacement can be extremely expensive, getting your roof repaired is the next best thing. But you have to be sure that you can be prepared for the worst.
Roof repairs normally don’t cost so much. Most reputable Denver roofing companies will only charge you a few hundred dollars to fix a few leaks and replace a few shingles. If they have to work on the flashing and go deeper, to solve decking and underlayment problems, they might charge you a little more, but the overall amount shouldn’t exceed a couple of thousand dollars, even as a worst case scenario.
Nevertheless, while this might be the case most of the time, it’s a good idea not only to maintain a roof repair budget that is at least $1,000 higher than that amount, but also to change your insurance policy to one that favors roof repairs. As a result, you’ll be covered whenever a stronger storm blows past, and you’d normally have to dish out a lot of money just to get some of those older shingles replaced with brand new ones.