Summer has come into its own, so it is time to consider performing a roof inspection to ensure that your roof is ready to withstand UV rays and potential summer storms. Most problems can be detected by checking the general aspect of the roof.
If you find the following issues, you should be aware that they will worsen shortly enough, because of exposure to the sun and other weather phenomena that may occur during the summer.
- Cracked, curled or deformed shingles
- Missing shingles
- Closed or missing ridge closure accessories
- Mold and moss formation
- Shingles that lose their granulation
- Flashing problems
- Rusty accessories
- Dry rot spotted in the roof`s structure
- Lose shingles
- Problems with the pluvial drainage system
Checking the attic or the space under the roof for water infiltrations and ventilation issues is also extremely important and should be done periodically. Even some aspects that may seem minor need to be resolved immediately. Troubleshooting and maintaining the roof to an optimal performance standard is the most affordable solution to ensure the roof’s durability and functionality. If you are unable to carry out the roof inspection safely and solve the problems you have discovered, we recommend that you call specialized Denver roofing companies.
Roof leaks appear when the water from rain or from melted snow penetrate the deeper layers of the roofing structure and from there into the attic. The water tends to accumulate on the attic floor, soaking it until the dampness appears on the ceiling of the rooms on the topmost level of the building. Depending on the amount of water that has accumulated in the attic and on the size of the pond, you might get a single leak or the leak might take the form of multiple leaks, that is, multiple bulges on the ceiling, all filled with water and then multiple holes through which water is pouring into the roof from upwards. To be able to detect the source of the leak, you need to have Denver roofing companies inspect the roof from outside as well as the attic space – here is how:
- Check the roof standing on the ground – large leaks can sometimes be detected from the ground. Look up on the roof to check for missing or damaged components;
- Check the attic – go to the attic right after the rain and find the pond of water or the damp patch through which water has entered your room. Thread carefully – if the water has soaked into the attic floor, it might be very dangerous to step on the floor.
Metal roofs are made from alloys resistant to corrosion and rust, but even so, rusty spots can appear, turning into more extended damage very quickly. When detected in time, roof rust is easy to remove and to treat – here is how:
- Clean the affected area or, even better, the entire roof – it is easier to detect rust and to assess the severity of the damage on a clean roof, so start the process cleaning at least the affected area with a mixture of water and a mild detergent. Use a hard brush to eliminate any dirt and removable rust;
- Check for rusted fasteners – screws, nails and washers tend to rust sooner than the metal panels that make up your roof. Check the fasteners on your roof and replace any damaged nails, screws and washers. Clean the areas around the replaced fasteners and fill them with some roof cement to prevent the rust from spreading;
- If you find larger rusty patches that might affect the integrity of your roof, you might want to consider replacing the affected panel;
- Have knowledgeable Denver roofing companies apply a protective coating – there are lots of roof coating products available that can efficiently prevent the appearance of rust on roofs. Apply a suitable product on your roof and don’t forget to repeat the procedure every couple of years to ensure proper protection.
Hail can damage any type of roof – really large hail stones can get at even the strongest, most durable roofing. The signs of the damage sustained can vary by the roofing system affected – here are the most common roofing materials and the respective signs that indicate hail damage:
- Shingle roofs – dents, curling sides, punctures, cracks, bruises and missing surface granules are the most common signs of hail damage on asphalt shingles;
- Metal roofs – metal roofing systems are extremely durable and resistant, but the point-like impact caused by hail stones can cause dents and deformation of the components. The severity of the deformations varies by the alloy used as well – steel is the most resistant to hail damage, while aluminium and copper can get dented more easily;
- Clay and cement tiles – these components are considered to be among the longest-lasting roofing materials, but both clay and cement are rigid material, prone to chipping, cracking and breaking when they are affected by impact.
Whatever type of roofing system you have on your building, the damage caused by hail must be taken seriously – the affected parts are weakened and they are prone to developing leaks than they used to be before the hail storm, so have Denver roofing companies fix hail damage as soon as you can.
If you have an older roof, it stands to reason that you should have a budget ready for possible roof repairs, until such time that you might be able to replace it. Since a roof replacement can be extremely expensive, getting your roof repaired is the next best thing. But you have to be sure that you can be prepared for the worst.
Roof repairs normally don’t cost so much. Most reputable Denver roofing companies will only charge you a few hundred dollars to fix a few leaks and replace a few shingles. If they have to work on the flashing and go deeper, to solve decking and underlayment problems, they might charge you a little more, but the overall amount shouldn’t exceed a couple of thousand dollars, even as a worst case scenario.
Nevertheless, while this might be the case most of the time, it’s a good idea not only to maintain a roof repair budget that is at least $1,000 higher than that amount, but also to change your insurance policy to one that favors roof repairs. As a result, you’ll be covered whenever a stronger storm blows past, and you’d normally have to dish out a lot of money just to get some of those older shingles replaced with brand new ones.