Solar panels are wonderful inventions of modern technology that reduce the energy needs as well as the energy footprint of your household. Though solar panels act as very durable roofing that is resistant to wind, snow, rain and impact, on very rare occasions, the roofs fitted with solar panels might start leaking. If it happens, the first leak will become noticeable very soon after the solar panels are installed, usually within the first year. The most common causes are to be found in improper installation, in the use of some dirty or improper components or maybe the roof is not suitable for supporting the solar panels – here are some of the causes your solar roof starts leaking:
- Poor installation – the installation of solar panels requires drilling into the deeper layers of the roof. While a knowledgeable Denver roofer will know how to do that drilling in a way that does not let water through later, inexperienced workers might damage the roofing structure during the procedure;
- A roof that is too old or too weak – solar panels are heavy, so they can be successfully installed only on roofs that are sufficiently strong to hold the excess weight. If your roof is not suitable for carrying the weight of the panels, you might have to get some of them removed.
Roof repair issues come in different forms, some visible even standing on the ground, others almost invisible even when you are looking at the roof standing on its surface. Identifying roofing problems through inspection is an essential phase of roofing maintenance and repairs – an issue that you don’t know about cannot be repaired, so thorough inspection by a Denver roofer is key to successful roof preservation. Here is how you should handle the roof inspection task:
- Check the attic – go to the attic soon after the rain and inspect the attic floor for wet spots, then have a look at the rafters and the decking, too. Wherever you find dampness or ponding water, the roofing above is likely to be damaged;
- Go to the roof to check the areas right above the leaks you have seen in the attic – be very careful as you move to prevent accidents. If you don’t find the source of the problem right above the damp patch or spot detected in the attic, look a bit higher because water travels downwards between the tiles or the shingles;
- Check the flashing and the roof valleys – roofs tend to be weaker, more prone to developing leaks wherever two of its sections meet, so make sure you check those areas as well.
Any roof has a warranty period, depending on the durability of the materials it is made from. However, a roof that is maintained regularly can last quite a long time past the initial warranty, pushing back roof replacement and helping building owners to save money.
If you want to get the most of your investment in the roof, you must consider maintenance not as an option, but as an integral part of a responsible plan.
With the roof maintenance, timing is everything. Any roof type should be inspected at least twice a year. Denver roofer specialists suggest that spring and fall represent the right times to schedule the inspection, to determine if the roof is prepared for the cold season, of if it is still in good shape once the winter is over. However, “twice a year” is just the norm. In reality, a roof must be inspected anytime it is needed, which means after any severe weather phenomenon.
This practice is preventative; it helps you detect vulnerabilities and small problems before they turn into a disaster.
As a building owner, the best strategy is to establish a periodic maintenance plan and stick to it. If you do not know it, you must document the history of the existing roof and make a comprehensive roof survey featuring a detailed report of the current condition of the roof, its age, size and other important factors.
Premature roof replacement is a major investment that is dreaded by most homeowners. Fortunately, most Denver roofing issues do not require replacement – with efficient and timely repairs, the resistance and the durability of the roof can be restored.
Here are some of the signs that indicate the immediate necessity of roof repairs:
- Shingle roofs – the most common sign of damage on shingle roofs include curled, cracked or missing shingles or shingles that no longer have the topmost layer of granules. The components affected by these signs need to be replaced as soon as possible;
- Clay tile roofs – cracked, chipped and displaced tiles need to be replaced by a Denver roofer immediately and you need to install new tiles in place of the ones that have been damaged;
- Metal roofs – dents and rust are the forms of damage that need your immediate attention.
There are signs that are common for all roof types. These signs include sagging rafters, leaks, mold and mildew in the attic area or inside the house, damp stains on the ceilings and on the walls inside the house and sagging, broken, cracked, clogged or rusty gutters are also signs that are can cause roofing damage, therefore they must also be handled immediately.