Roof inspection is one of the most important tasks that precede any repair or maintenance procedure. To be able to determine the best course of action, even the smallest punctures holes, even the most hidden of hairline cracks need to be detected, but unfortunately attention in itself is not enough for doing the inspection right. Here are the most common mistakes that are made during roof inspections:
- Doing the inspection only from the ground – while larger problems, such as missing components, can be easily detected from the ground, smaller issues cannot be seen from down there;
- Overlooked issues – it takes a trained Denver roofer to notice all the issues that are present on a roof. Hairline cracks, spots of incipient rust or algae infestation and other problems that can aggravate quickly are easy to overlook, the mistake usually being the cause for the appearance of unexpected leaks on otherwise well-maintained roofs;
- Overlooked safety rules – overlooking roofing faults is a serious mistake, but climbing up on a roof without suitable safety gear is foolish. Even so, safety equipment being heavy and uncomfortable, many roofers, especially amateur, self-proclaimed experts climb on the roof without properly anchoring themselves, risking accidents and injuries that can affect not their own health, but can damage the roof as well.
A fresh coat of paint can work wonders, refreshing the appearance of your home inside and outside. While most people consider the solution suitable only for walls, doors, window frames, decks and and fences, painting is a great way to refresh and protect your roof, too, what’s more, a suitably selected color can improve your building’s energy efficiency, too. However, not all roofs can be painted, so here are a few important things that you should know about roof painting:
- Roofs that can be painted – the roofs made from aluminum and metal are most commonly painted, but the roofs made from tiles, asphalt shingles, even the ones that use wood shakes or slate can also be painted;
- Benefits – roof paint improves not only the appearance of the roof and, with it, of the entire building. The color of the roof will also have an impact on how much energy you will need to heat and to cool the building interior. As a general rule, light colors reflect heat, so they work better in hot climates, while dark hues absorb solar energy, therefore they are more suitable for cold regions;
- Roof preparation – the paint should be ideally applied on a well-maintained surface, so the roof needs to be cleaned and all the problems repaired by a Denver roofer before applying any paint or surface coating.
It is possible that over time, unsightly stains may appear on your roof. These are caused by moisture, which may alter the color of some roofing materials or favor the appearance of mold and mildew that also stain the roof.
Mold and mildew are often found on the northern part of the roof which is not so exposed to the sun; if leaves and other debris remain on the roof for a longer period, they retain moisture and allow mold and mildew formation. These stains can be cleaned easily with special solutions, often including chemicals, to destroy potential bacteria and microbes that can spread from the roof to the walls inside the house, if they are not removed promptly. Before using chemical cleaning solutions, an informed Denver roofer recommends testing them on a small area, to see how the material reacts under the action of chemical ingredients.
Sometimes simply washing the roof can be enough to remove the stains. However, it is also possible that the stains indicate a worn out and degraded roof profile; in this case, repairs or even a roof replacement might be in order.
If you find that your roof has what appear to be water stains, contact a specialist to determine what is to be done about them.
Solar panels are wonderful inventions of modern technology that reduce the energy needs as well as the energy footprint of your household. Though solar panels act as very durable roofing that is resistant to wind, snow, rain and impact, on very rare occasions, the roofs fitted with solar panels might start leaking. If it happens, the first leak will become noticeable very soon after the solar panels are installed, usually within the first year. The most common causes are to be found in improper installation, in the use of some dirty or improper components or maybe the roof is not suitable for supporting the solar panels – here are some of the causes your solar roof starts leaking:
- Poor installation – the installation of solar panels requires drilling into the deeper layers of the roof. While a knowledgeable Denver roofer will know how to do that drilling in a way that does not let water through later, inexperienced workers might damage the roofing structure during the procedure;
- A roof that is too old or too weak – solar panels are heavy, so they can be successfully installed only on roofs that are sufficiently strong to hold the excess weight. If your roof is not suitable for carrying the weight of the panels, you might have to get some of them removed.
Roof repair issues come in different forms, some visible even standing on the ground, others almost invisible even when you are looking at the roof standing on its surface. Identifying roofing problems through inspection is an essential phase of roofing maintenance and repairs – an issue that you don’t know about cannot be repaired, so thorough inspection by a Denver roofer is key to successful roof preservation. Here is how you should handle the roof inspection task:
- Check the attic – go to the attic soon after the rain and inspect the attic floor for wet spots, then have a look at the rafters and the decking, too. Wherever you find dampness or ponding water, the roofing above is likely to be damaged;
- Go to the roof to check the areas right above the leaks you have seen in the attic – be very careful as you move to prevent accidents. If you don’t find the source of the problem right above the damp patch or spot detected in the attic, look a bit higher because water travels downwards between the tiles or the shingles;
- Check the flashing and the roof valleys – roofs tend to be weaker, more prone to developing leaks wherever two of its sections meet, so make sure you check those areas as well.
Any roof has a warranty period, depending on the durability of the materials it is made from. However, a roof that is maintained regularly can last quite a long time past the initial warranty, pushing back roof replacement and helping building owners to save money.
If you want to get the most of your investment in the roof, you must consider maintenance not as an option, but as an integral part of a responsible plan.
With the roof maintenance, timing is everything. Any roof type should be inspected at least twice a year. Denver roofer specialists suggest that spring and fall represent the right times to schedule the inspection, to determine if the roof is prepared for the cold season, of if it is still in good shape once the winter is over. However, “twice a year” is just the norm. In reality, a roof must be inspected anytime it is needed, which means after any severe weather phenomenon.
This practice is preventative; it helps you detect vulnerabilities and small problems before they turn into a disaster.
As a building owner, the best strategy is to establish a periodic maintenance plan and stick to it. If you do not know it, you must document the history of the existing roof and make a comprehensive roof survey featuring a detailed report of the current condition of the roof, its age, size and other important factors.
Premature roof replacement is a major investment that is dreaded by most homeowners. Fortunately, most Denver roofing issues do not require replacement – with efficient and timely repairs, the resistance and the durability of the roof can be restored.
Here are some of the signs that indicate the immediate necessity of roof repairs:
- Shingle roofs – the most common sign of damage on shingle roofs include curled, cracked or missing shingles or shingles that no longer have the topmost layer of granules. The components affected by these signs need to be replaced as soon as possible;
- Clay tile roofs – cracked, chipped and displaced tiles need to be replaced by a Denver roofer immediately and you need to install new tiles in place of the ones that have been damaged;
- Metal roofs – dents and rust are the forms of damage that need your immediate attention.
There are signs that are common for all roof types. These signs include sagging rafters, leaks, mold and mildew in the attic area or inside the house, damp stains on the ceilings and on the walls inside the house and sagging, broken, cracked, clogged or rusty gutters are also signs that are can cause roofing damage, therefore they must also be handled immediately.