If you are in the process of getting a new commercial roof in Denver, you probably have lots of questions. The best source of information is the roofer who will install your new roof for you – here are some of the topics that you should ask your roof specialist about:
- Building permits – most roofing projects require building permits. Find out about the documents that your commercial roof needs, about the related costs and procedures;
- Materials – there are many different materials available for commercial roofs, the best choice depending on the climate, the type of your commercial activity, your budget and the expected longevity. Ask your commercial roofing Denver CO pro to tell you about the pros and cons of each solution;
- The installation procedure – each material used for commercial roofing is installed using different tools, accessories and fastening methods. Ask your roofer to tell you about the procedure used for the material that will be used to build your roof as well as about the time needed for completing the process;
- Care and maintenance – some materials only need to be inspected and cleaned regularly, while others need to be protected with special coatings. Talk to your roofer about these procedures as well.
If rain water reaches the inside of your house, it is too late to think about prevention, so you will have to be quick and focus on performing some repairs to minimize the damage.
If the problem seems rather minor and appears after an abundant torrential rain, you might be lucky: your shingles may be in good shape and the leak may be only temporary and related to a clogged pluvial system. This scenario is not so frightening and it requires you to clean your gutters and downspouts from debris. To prevent such problems, you should clean your pluvial system regularly, at least twice a year, or to install gutter guards, which will allow you to ignore this maintenance operation for a longer time.
On the other hand, if the water leak is caused by problems with your shingles, the necessary repairs can be more complicated and you may need to call a leak repair commercial roofing Denver CO professional. However, there are a few quick ways to repair some minor problems on your own, but make sure you are skilled enough, have the right tools and protective equipment to work safely at height.
Replacing missing or damaged shingles/ tiles
Missing or damaged shingles/ tiles represent a breach of the water tightness of your roof and must be replaced as soon as you notice the problem. You can do this yourself, if the damage is limited to only a few shingles. Just make sure you follow a professional commercial roofing tutorial, to avoid causing additional damage.
Flashing is made of metal and it will corrode in time. When it does, it needs to be replaced because, considering that it protects roof valleys and surrounds other roof penetrations, flashing is essential to prevent water infiltrations.
When it comes down to commercial flat roofing, business owners have a lot of options that they can usually consider. Some of them might involve standard roofing products and materials that are quite common, while others could, for instance involve a custom made metal panel roofing system that can deal with specific stressors – such as ensuring that a more stable temperature is maintained throughout the building.
Nevertheless, EPDM roofing is considered by many to be one of the best types of flat roofing available, and for very good reason:
- This type of rubber roofing is excellent for extreme conditions, being able to keep the temperature in your building quite stable even if the weather outside is bad.
- EPDM is rated at a durability level that suggests a lifespan of around 30-50 years.
- It’s recyclable and eco-friendly.
- Like all types of rubber, it’s flexible. But EPDM is also extremely durable and resilient, so you won’t have to worry too much if the weather gets bad and you experience hail storms, for instance.
So, next time you want to consider replacing the roof on your commercial building, consider asking your thrifty commercial roofing Denver CO contractor about the specific benefits of using EPDM to cut costs, increase energy efficiency and raise the long term durability of your roof over the next few years and decades.
Any commercial building is a big investment from the start, and every owner should make sure that it is in good shape, regularly.
Usually, scheduled commercial roofing Denver CO inspections and maintenance begin with the roof verification, because commercial roofs are constantly exposed to the weather and structural movement. Identify in advance the minor problems before they get worse. What to Check:
- Start with the exterior structural components, like the drip edges, chimneys, vents, fascia, and decking, for missing components or rotting signs. These areas usually get affected by leaking. If your building has a flat roof, you should also look for blisters in the membrane granular loss, ponding and holes.
- The interior roofing damages occur when the interior components are neglected for a long time. The most common damages are the ones caused by the leaking, but the source isn’t always easy to spot or above the damaged area. Flat roofs are the most vulnerable to leaks and surface degradation. Also, check for other structural damages, like mold, mildew, and rot.
- Visible damages are the easiest to repair. In this case, look for any structural deformations, standing water, clogged gutters and downspouts or debris. Metal roofs should be checked for corrosion and bent and wood shingles should be inspected for signs of mildew, mold or warping.
As far as the roofing materials are concerned, their choice depends on several factors such as the purpose for which the building is used, priorities, or budget.
The most popular option currently available on the market, thermoplastic polyolefin roofs have many benefits. Apart from being non-toxic, TPO is also very flexible, and therefore it can be easily molded around the shape of the roof. Due to the fact that they are heat-welded together, TPO membranes are more resistant than glued ones. In fact, TPO roofing warranty periods can range from 10 to 35 years.
TPO is a single-ply roofing system that is also very reflective. Due to this fact, inner temperature can be controlled more easily during the hot season, and it works well with buildings which do not have any air-conditioning systems installed.
The thickness of a TPO roofing system can vary a lot in terms of thickness. This is another detail that makes TPO a highly eligible material for your roof.
A properly built TPO roofing system plays an essential role in a building’s protection against weather conditions. To ensure the best results, it is very important to make a proper estimate with the help of TPO commercial roofing Denver CO professionals.
Choosing a commercial roof is a process that includes evaluating, comparing and identifying the most important features to ensure your roof will be the best fit for the building. The key is to plan ahead and take your time.
Most commercial roofs are flat, but you must keep in mind that what works well for one building may not be a good choice for another.
First, you must choose a roof that fits your commercial building and your business needs. A building where chemicals are produced will need a different roof than a building designed for offices. The building`s location also matters. Take into account the shade provided by trees or taller buildings, variations in rainfall or wind velocity, what direction it faces etc.
Considering that we are talking about a commercial roof, you may also want to take into account future expansion, as your business may grow and your needs will change in this case.
Finally yet importantly, you must also identify a licensed local commercial roofer here https://www.interstateroof.com/ that can offer you recommendations for choosing the best design, materials as well as an adequate maintenance plan. If you take into account the professional advice you get, you have better chances to choose the best commercial roof for your business.
An impact resistant roof is built with Class 4 shingles, which is the highest rating when it comes to shingle ability to resist hail damage. These shingles have been tested to meet specific standards. They are made with fiberglass mat, which makes them more sustainable and effective than ever.
When you start looking for this type of shingles, you will soon find out that there are actually many Class 4 impact resistant shingles on the market, so identifying the best option is overwhelming and somehow confusing. After all, how can you be sure that any product rated Class 4 impact resistance really deserves your money? Considering that these shingles are quite expensive compared to regular shingles, it is natural to wonder if such an investment is a good idea. Fortunately, there is an indicator of quality: shingles listed UL 2218 Class 4 are those that have gone through tests, so you can be sure that the classification is valid. Talking to an experienced Class 4 shingle commercial roofing Denver CO contractor is the best way to find out more about Class 4 roofing shingle options and pricing.
These shingles are based on a styrene-butadiene-styrene modified asphalt formula (rubberized asphalt), which is obtained by mixing a normal shingle with the SBS and obtain a rubbery and more flexible product, which does not crack. Most manufacturers design these shingles in different styles, to match various buildings and customer`s preferences.
A new roof installation is a big investment, regardless the type of the roof. However, commercial roofs are typically less expensive than residential roof, because their shape is simple and the materials typically consist in different membranes that are cheaper than tiles or shingles.
However, the cost remains one of the biggest concerns for residential building owners.
There are a few factors that influence commercial roofing Denver CO installation costs:
- The size of the commercial roof (the cost effectiveness starts to show if the roof is larger than20,000 sq feet )
- The transportation of the materials (this operation takes up to 3% of the project costs)
The condition of the existing roof (there are costs for cleaning and preparing the existing roof, as well as to stripping and removing it).
- Distances and height of the roof
These factors influence the access on the roof, so they also affect the price.
- The type of materials you opt for
There are a few common types of flat roof materials: Thermoplastic polyolefin membranes, EPDM rubber membranes, PVC membranes and metal retrofit roofing.
Typical cost for single-ply flat roof installation ranges from $3 to $5/ sq. foot, while typical cost for built-up bituminous roof installation ranges from $3.50 to $6.50 / sq.foot.
Properly maintaining and repairing a roof is much better than waiting for it to deteriorate and having it replaced altogether. Damage to a flat roof can come from many sources and, if not prevented, may lead to having an entire roof replaced. The presence of ponds and water on the roof after rainfall is a serious cause for concern and should be the first and easiest detail to notice.
A poor drainage system or the roof itself not being properly installed can cause the rainwater to remain on the roof which over time can greatly reduce its longevity. The presence of plant life on the roof is another cause for concern. The remaining water can create the right environment for mold, fungi and even grass to grow.
This may cause the roofing material underneath to deteriorate even more leading to leaks and more serious structural damage. The presence of water on the roof, 24 to 48 hours after rainfall, is a major sign that the flat roof is improperly installed.
Checking for any small cracks and tears in the roofing material is a next step that will help you decide whether or not the roof needs replacement. If the damage is small and secluded to a small area, a proper repair should do the trick. If it spans across the entire surface, then a commercial roofing Denver CO roof replacement would probably be in order.
Surfaces that present no visible damage should also be checked. For example, if steeping on an area gives a squishy and soft feeling, it could be an indication that moisture is present underneath the material. These are some essential details and signs to look for during the next roofing inspection that could help determine if it needs replacing.
Flat roofs come with specific must-dos for commercial roofing Denver CO building managers – here are some of the most important fall maintenance tasks:
- Roof inspection and cleaning – both processes are essential for keeping your flat roof in good condition. Make sure that the roofing surface is inspected inch by inch, by an expert checking for weakened areas, punctures, holes and cracks in the roof, signs of ponding water and alligatoring (a problem that affects roof surface, making it look like alligator skin);
- Repairs – the issues detected during the inspection need to be repaired, too. With regular, semi-annual inspections, the faults that you find are likely to be small, but roofing problems can aggravate quickly, so timely repairs are very important;
- Gutter maintenance – water drainage being of special importance in the case of flat roofs, the maintenance process needs to be extended to the gutters as well. Check the gutters and the downspouts for any faults, such as cracks, punctures, loosened hardware, rust, corrosion and also make sure that the gutter pipes are obstacle-free. Check the downspouts as well – the components responsible for directing rain and melted snow into the ground can be affected by the same issues as the gutters, inspections, cleaning and repairs being just as essential.