Some may think that being a Denver commercial roofer is easy, but in reality, there are a lot of things that make the job very difficult from time to time. For instance, having to work on very tall buildings can make the job quite difficult. That’s because the taller the building is, the more safety measures the roofers have to use. And that usually means restricting their range of motions, which in turn makes actually working on the roof even more difficult.
Another reason why being a Denver commercial roofer can be difficult at times is that sometimes you will have to work on old buildings that have severe damage to their understructure. That usually means that special measures will have to be taken in order to ensure that the structure can withhold the weight of the roof. But working on old structures can be dangerous. That’s because there’s no way of knowing how much longer the structure is going to last or where hidden weak spots may be. So, one has to be extra careful when dealing with such situations, both for their safety and for the protection of others and even of goods that can be affected by any wrong step.
The leading commercial roofing Denver CO companies, like Interstate Roofing, provide advanced training and safety protocol measures to their roofers. Interstate offers exceptional workmanship, commitment to customer satisfaction, and quality results.
The best way to make sure you end up with the right roof for your commercial building is to find a reliable and experienced commercial roofing company in Colorado, as only an expert roofer will be able to consider all factors and make professional recommendation based on the specific of your building.
Recommendations from a trusted professional carry considerable weight, but there are some other tips to take into account: the current condition of your commercial roof and the existing structures stored on it (HVAC equipment, solar panels etc), accessibility requirements, immediate surroundings and local climate – these are all important!
Commercial roofing Denver CO experts tell us that the range of options for covering flat roofs is pretty wide, but the solution that is considered the most durable at the moment is the EPDM membrane.
Such a roof guarantees half a century without problems of waterproofing. The EPDM membrane does not age and provides increased resistance to weathering and UV rays. It comes in very large sheets, so there will be a low number of joints, when installing it, which will keep the risks to an absolute minimum. Fewer actions are necessary to perform on the roof, during installation, which makes the entire process done in no time.
EPDM membranes are also an excellent support for green roofs. In recent years, due to global warming, more and more flat roofs are turning into green terraces, as they reduce the greenhouse effect, improve air quality and create beneficial micro-climates for insects and birds.
EPDM membranes also support the installation of photovoltaic panels.
The roofing professionals who specialize in commercial roofs and who provide their services to clients in Denver are never too busy to assess your project and to provide the help that you need. Here are some of the projects and issues that you can turn to them for:
- The installation of a new roof – if you have made up your mind and launched the construction of your own commercial building, your Denver commercial roofer will be able to help you pick the best type of materials for your new roof as well as install the structure for you.
- The repair of your roof – even the best maintained roof can sustain damage, especially in Denver, a city that is so frequently hit by extreme weather. Your commercial roofer will be able to help you with repairs in emergency regime as well as in the form of scheduled visits.
- Roof maintenance – the best and only way to ensure that your commercial roof will protect your building for as long as possible is through regular maintenance. If you enroll your roof into a professional maintenance program, your commercial roofing Denver CO maintenance specialist will come at the scheduled date to check the roof and to clean it, then you and your roofer will discuss any repair action deemed necessary based on the results of the inspection.
If you are in the process of picking the roofing material and designing the roof for your new or existing commercial building in Colorado, here are some tips to help you make the best choices:
- Consider the material – if you have been happy with the material you had on the old roof, you can continue using it, but it is a good idea to check out other options as well. The market of roofing materials is continuously evolving, with new solutions being launched all the time. Taking a look at the variety on the market is certainly a good idea.
- Consider energy efficiency – the price of energy is increasing continuously. Every business needs to pay attention to making their commercial buildings as energy efficient as possible. With the roof being the largest surface through which energy can escape from inside the building, trend setting commercial roofing Denver CO companies remind us that looking into energy efficient solutions is beneficial for the environment as well as for your business’ budget.
- Consult the experts – an efficient way to find answers to all your roofing needs is to turn to a professional roofer for the installation of your new roof, and also for advice and suggestions regarding materials and design choices prior to installation.
EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) is a modern roofing material that is efficiently used on commercial and industrial buildings that require a low sloping roof of special strength and durability. Commercial roofing Denver CO builders say that the material makes an excellent choice for the roofs on commercial facilities in Denver for the following reasons:
- What EPDM really is – the material is practically a synthetic rubber rolled into sheets and spread on the roof surface to be fastened with methods that do or do not involve the application of heat;
- The benefits of using EPDM – the material option comes with a very wide range of benefits. One of the features that convinces most businesses to turn towards EPDM is the material’s price – EPDM is currently among the most affordable commercial roofing materials available. The other qualities that makes the solution so popular and appreciated are resistance and durability – EPDM can stand up to a lot including harsh weather extreme temperature variations, even to chemical spills and heavy foot traffic on the roof. Another aspect that accounts for the popularity of the option is quick and easy installation – EPDM sheets are easy to spread under surface and the fastening process is also very quick and easy.
The roofing quotes that you receive from the roofing contractors you have found potentially suitable for your project is a very important document – actually, it is the document that will help you decide which roofer around you is the best for your project. Here are the most important things that a good roofing quote includes:
- An itemized list with the materials to be used – this is perhaps the most important part of the quote. Commercial roofing materials come in many different quality levels and when you agree to start the project with a particular roofer, you need to know exactly what materials will be used on your roof. An honest, reliable commercial roofing Denver CO contractor will never keep the materials secret and will provide an easy to understand, detailed list of whatever will be used on your roof;
- Information related to warranties – you should expect to receive two types of warranties with your roof: you should receive a manufacturer’s warranty on the materials that are used on your roof and you should also receive a warranty document that covers for the workmanship provided by your roofer;
- Information related to the deadlines – your quote should provide the details related to the project milestones and to the final completion of the roofing project.
Commercial buildings can use sloping, flat as well as arched roofs, but when it comes to the roof type that works best for really large commercial buildings, flat structures seem to be most common choice partly due to the stability, durability, strength and easy maintenance offered by the option and partly due to the lower costs of building flat roofs compared to arched or pitched designs. Here are some of the materials that respected commercial roofing Denver CO pros commonly use on large flat roofs:
- Metal in the form of sheets or panels – the traditional solution for commercial roofs, metal roofing systems come in a variety of alloys and they are preferred by the owners of commercial buildings for their affordability, their strength and their durability for around 30 years;
- EPDM – the single-ply membrane is made from synthetic material that come in large sheets that are simply rolled out on the roof surface and fastened. The material is resistant to punctures, UV radiation and chemical spills and it can stand up to harsh weather as well;
- TPO – another lightweight, durable and puncture-resistant membrane, TPO is also a synthetic material that is quick and easy to install and works great for small as well as for large roofs.
Commercial and residential roofs are different in many ways – here are some of the most important differences addressed by Interstate Roofing professionals:
- The design – the most obvious difference between the two roof types is the shape: commercial roofs are usually flat structures, while residential structures usually feature a pitch, though many modern residential architectures use flat roofs, too;
- The materials used – while the most common materials used on pitched residential roofs are asphalt shingles, metal, clay, cement and slate, commercial roofs are usually built from synthetic membranes, such as TPO or EPDM or feature a built-up structure, such combinations of tar and gravel or modified bitumen. The residential buildings that have flat roofs use the same materials as commercial architecture;
- Installation and repair – commercial and residential roofs have very different needs and requirements in terms of installation and repair. Commercial roofs are usually larger and they consist of more layers than residential structures, therefore they take longer to build – while the roof on an average-sized home can be installed in a couple of days, the installation of a roof on a large commercial building can take a month. The same goes for repair: Interstate Roofing commercial roofers suggest that flat roofing structures take longer to repair and the repair procedures usually require more experience and knowledge than the repair of sloping roofs.
Metal roofing systems enjoy huge popularity throughout the nation, Denver being no exception. Commercial roofing Denver CO advisors substantiate that these features make metal panels an excellent choice for commercial buildings in the Mile-High City:
- Longevity – correctly installed metal roofs can last for over three decades without requiring any major repair;
- Durability – metal, especially the alloys used for making the panels for commercial roofs, can stand up to harsh weather of all kinds, including rain, snow, harsh sunshine and winds. The resistance of metal roofing systems can be further enhanced with specialized coatings applied at regular intervals;
- Easy installation – metal roofing systems usually come in the form of kits, with easy to follow instructions and all the tools and components needed for the installation, therefore they can be installed without any specialized knowledge;
- Easy maintenance – metal roofing systems do not need any special attention, other than the regular inspections and cleaning that all roofs need;
- Safety – metal is a non-combustible material, therefore it is ideal for buildings in which there are sensitive activities performed, such as for warehouses used for the storage of flammable materials. Metal is also impervious to pests, so metal roofing systems are the perfect solution for buildings in regions where termites and other invaders are a risk.
Having a new roof installed on a commercial facility or having a damaged roof repaired are considerable expenses, therefore it is very important for business owners to know that the roofer they hire for the job has the experience and the knowledge to provide the best service. Here is how to find out about the prospective commercial roofing Denver CO contractor’s previous experience:
- Check the roofer’s website – most roofers today operate their own company website on which they usually provide information regarding their previous experience. Check multiple roofing websites before contacting potential roofers to hire and take the time to visit the relevant pages on the websites;
- Ask the roofer to tell you about their previous experience – the process of hiring a roofer should include an interview as well. During the meeting, ask the roofer to tell you about their experience;
- Ask for verifiable references – your roofer will probably have a portfolio with facilities that they worked on in the past. Get a list with those references and drive to the addresses to see the roofs with your own eyes. You can also ask the owners of those businesses to tell you what they think about the services provided by the roofer you are verifying.