Getting a new commercial roof is not easy and that is why many building owner or managers prefer to postpone such a project and opt for making repairs and hope for the best. Not that there is something wrong with making repairs; it is just that, in some cases, repairs may not be efficient anymore and they will end up being more expensive, in the long run, than replacing the roof altogether.
So, repairs are good as long as they solve the problem of your commercial roof. But if they only put a temporary Band-Aid on the problem, it is time to consider a roof replacement.
Commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO technicians substantiate that other signs indicating that your commercial building needs a new roof include the age of the existing roof and high energy consumption that does not reflect into a better thermal comfort.
Depending on what they are made from, commercial roofing systems can be more or less durable. The average lifespan is 20-25 years. A roof that gets close to the end of its lifespan needs to be replaced soon, because you do not have to expect too much from it anymore, except from problems and discomfort.
As for energy efficiency, a new roof will ensure better insulating properties, so it will get you better thermal comfort and lower energy bills.
The roof installed on your commercial property will determine many things, from the value of your business property to the safety and comfort of your employees or tenants and from your energy costs to your insurance premiums and the appearance of your property. To ensure that your commercial roof can fulfill all these purposes, you need a great commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO contractor who is able to avoid the most common pitfalls related to commercial roofing. Here are some of those pitfalls:
- Choosing the wrong material – the market of commercial roofing materials is very wide, with options available for any requirement and any need. The abundance of choices makes the final selection more difficult, but an experienced commercial roofer will be able to help you select the best value for your money, the material that best serves your interests.
- Problems arising from incorrect installation – installation mistakes are also very common in the world of commercial roofs. If you choose an experienced commercial roofer, the expertise of the professional will guarantee that your roof will be free from such mistakes.
- Warranty problems – hiring an experienced Colorado Springs professional roofer to handle all the tasks related to your commercial roof is the only way to avoid problems related to warranty, such as voiding your warranty due to incorrect handling or due to being handled by a roofer without a license.
Flat roof maintenance is among the most essential roofing tasks that you should never neglect. Ideally performed twice a year, once in fall and one more time in spring, your roof maintenance sessions should also include roof inspection. Here are some essential things to look for during that inspection:
- checking for the most common issues in sensitive areas – flat roofs tend to become more prone to damage in the areas where two types of materials meet, therefore it is very important to include all these areas into the inspection. The seams, the sides, the areas covered in flashing should all be checked to detect surface damage that could cause legs to appear;
- checking the gutter systems – the drainage of your flat roof is an essential component that ensures the roofs prolonged life. A commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO Roofing Association Member confers that roof inspections should always be extended to the drainage system as well, checking the gutters for clogs, cracks, damaged fasteners and other issues such as corrosion;
- Problems that affect the surface – blistering, punctures, cracks and sagging areas that allow for water to accumulate should all be eliminated as soon as detected, so these problems should always be checked for during roof inspections.
Commercial roofs are usually very strong and extremely durable structures that are built professionally, using special materials that can stand up to almost any weather and to lots of stress, too.
However, even these extremely strong building components suffer if they are neglected, so here is how experienced commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO maintenance service contractors can prevent damage on commercial properties:
- regular inspections – one of the most important tasks involved with commercial roof maintenance is the meticulous, inch by inch checking of the roof surface as well as of the adjacent parts and accessories, such as the gutters, the roof vents and the chimneys for faults. The problems that your roofer will look for include surface damage, such as holes, punctures and sagging, damaged vents and gutters and improper sealing around roof openings;
- roof cleaning – another essential step in professional roof maintenance is the removal of any debris from the roof surface as well as from the gutters to ensure proper water drainage and drying;
- roof repairs – if the maintenance visit reveals the need for any roof repair, your roofing technician will discuss with you the best course of action and will also perform the repair after you give green light.
Flat roofs, whether installed on commercial facilities or used on residential buildings, are strong structures that can stand up to a lot, but even these strong building components need regular maintenance to maintain their strength. Here is how that maintenance should work:
- Regularity is key – maintenance sessions should be carried out based on a schedule. Ideally, your flat roof and the adjacent gutters need to be cleaned and inspected twice a year, once in spring and again in fall, to prepare the roof for the two harder seasons, summer and winter;
- Additional inspections – strong storms and other forms of extreme weather can damage even well-maintained roofs, so it is very important to check your roof after each major event;
- The tasks involved with maintenance – maintenance visits should involve the thorough cleaning of the roof surface as well as of the gutters and the vents and the detailed, inch-by-inch inspection of the roof and the adjacent parts. Any roof faults detected during the inspections need to be addressed in a timely manner – commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO pros recommend that quick repair action is essential to prevent the aggravation of the fault and to prolong the life of the roof;
- Coating – if the roof is made from a material that could benefit from the additional protection provided by weatherproof coatings, the coats need to be refreshed every couple of years after the first application.
Commercial roofs might not be visible from the ground, but they are surely exposed to the elements and protecting your building all the time.
The summer heat is an especially insidious enemy of flat or low-sloping roofs – here is how the extremely high temperatures and the UV radiation associated with summer weather can harm your roof:
- The degradation caused by UV rays – ultraviolet radiation can decompose almost any material it comes into contact with by altering the chemical composition and the physical features of the materials. As a result, the material that your roof is made from can lose its oil content and moisture, becoming brittle and prone to developing cracks. Dedicated commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO contractors corroborate that UV radiation can also accelerate the aging of the roof, leading to the need to replace it before time;
- Overheating – an unshaded roof can also absorb lots of heat from the sun. When the roof overheats, the materials used on it react with drying as well as with expansion. When the material becomes too dry to expand, but the heat still forces it to change size, the roofing surface will develop cracks and will become prone to water damage. When the heat subsides and the night comes with lower temperatures, the roofing materials that have become dilated during the day start shrinking again – a movement that can also cause cracks if the material is not sufficiently elastic.
Getting your roof replaced is a costly process and unfortunately, it can have many pitfalls due to poor craftsmanship. To make sure that your new roof is not affected by installation mistakes, here are some things that you should inspect before approving the work performed by your roofer:
- The roof sheathing – also called the roof decking, the sheathing consists of thin boards of wood placed on the trusses and serves the purpose of supporting the roof layers on the top. Signs of improper sheathing installation include an uneven roof surface and roof fasteners that protrude;
- The underlayment – ideally, the sheathing and the roofing cover should be separated by a waterproofing layer. Check the existence of the layer – it is essential for preventing leaks;
- The placement of the nails on shingle roofs – the shingles on your roof need to be individually fastened on the roof to prevent any lifting or tearing by wind. Check whether the nails on your roof are driven in sufficiently deep;
- The overlap – whether you have shingles or tiles on your roof, the individual component need to be installed in an overlapping pattern. One of the most common roofing mistakes is to make that overlap too short. While having a shorter overlap reduces the quantity of the materials used on the roof, it increases the risk of leaks and can have severe consequences.
- For quality roofing you can count on, discuss your project with commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO trusted contractors at Interstate Roofing.
A collaboration with a commercial roofing company is very important for ensuring that the roof on your building stays strong and healthy for as long as possible. Here are some tips to identify potential contractors in your area:
- Ask around – you probably know other business owners who work with a contractor to take care of the roof on their building. Ask these people to provide you references and to tell you about their experiences – after all, word of mouth is till the most reliable way to obtain first-hand information;
- Look online – most roofing companies today have websites on which they present their services. Use your internet browser to find local contractors that specialize in commercial roofs, then take your time to check each website. While evaluating commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO contractors, look for a roofer that is suitably licensed and insured and that offers references as well;
- Contact the roofers who seem suitable – personal meetings are also essential, so contact the roofers that you find suitable, tell them about your roof and request roofing cost estimates from them. Before you make your final decision, collect three or four estimates and compare the documents in terms of pricing, material quality and the warranties offered by the roofers.
Waterproofing the roof is an extremely important step for ensuring protection against water infiltration in the house, office building or commercial space. Therefore, commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO authorities suggest that an EPDM membrane may be the long-term solution you are looking for.
Produced in large sheets, the EPDM membrane is made of a synthetic rubber specially designed to adapt to the most demanding requirements in construction and roof waterproofing.
The first EPDM membrane sheet was installed in 1980, on the roof of a building in the USA, being still functional today. Nowadays, with over 1.5 billion square meters installed globally, EPDM membrane is a reference product in waterproofing that has won the appreciation of customers through the perfect quality of waterproofing and the outstanding properties of the material from which it is made.
EPDM is a fully vulcanized membrane, composed mainly of EPDM polymer and carbon black, which offers unmatched resistance to ozone and ultraviolet radiation. Because it does not contain flame retardants or plasticizers, it has stable characteristics. The EPDM membrane remains flexible up to temperatures of 45 ° C and has an elasticity of over 300%, which gives it resistance to building movements and temperature fluctuations.
EPDM membrane can be used in a wide range of applications, from foundations, terraces, ponds and lakes to industrial waterproofing.
Most commercial roofs are flat and designed by respecting the type of structure, thermal insulation – waterproofing technology and the operating conditions depending on each roof. These factors determine the life span of the roof.
Currently, the best material for a commercial roof is considered the EPDM membrane.
EPDM rubber products for construction were developed in the late 1950s. The climate in the Middle East required a roofing material able to withstand it. The material had to be very flexible and remain stable even in temperatures variations between -45 and + 120 °C. EPDM rubber proved to be a very suitable product for this market.
Ethylene Propylene Dien Monomer is a synthetic rubber, very resistant to UV, ozone and other atmospheric influences. In addition, it is known for its great, permanent flexibility. The material has proved its efficiency for more than 50 years, and is used by commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO flat roofing specialists as a waterproofing material for flat roofs and other architectural or non-architectural applications.
The characteristics of natural rubber could not be adapted or manipulated. However, with a synthetic rubber product, scientists can select, adapt and modify the basic products to determine the molecular structure, thus allowing them to design the construction of polymers. The result allows EPDM synthetic rubber to adapt precisely to its specific uses and requirements.