The quality of the commercial roofing services you receive from your roofer depends on the amount of the roofer’s experience as well as on the contractor’s professional knowledge. Here is how the two aspects are so important:
- Knowledge of local features – only a contractor who has the right type of experience knows what materials and roofing solutions will work for your property and for the weather-related challenges typical for your area. An experienced commercial roofer will have a portfolio of many roofing projects accomplished successfully and knowledge about a wide range of roofing solutions as well;
- Knowledge of local codes – your roof needs to comply with local building codes as well and the best way to ensure that compliance is by hiring an experienced commercial roof repair Fort Collins contractor who is aware of the importance to stay up to date with all the changes in the applicable codes;
- Meaningful warranty on the labor – when you work with an experienced, established and reputable roofer, the warranty provided by the contractor really means that the roofer stands behind his work and that the new roof installed on your facility or the repaired surface is indeed as durable and resistant as it should be.
Commercial roofs are different from residential roofs in many ways, the most obvious different being the sloping angle – while most residential roofs feature steep sloping angles, residential structures are almost completely flat. The difference in structure brings about differences in terms of the materials used on the two types of roofs – here are the best options to choose from for your commercial roof:
- Ethylene propylene diene monomer – usually referred to simply as EPDM, the material is a lightweight and very durable synthetic rubber that can resist extreme weather due to its elasticity and that can provide a significant improvement in the entire building’s energy efficiency. Well-maintained EPDM roofs can last for about 25-35 years;
- Thermoplastic polyolefin – TPO is also an elastic, rubberized material that offers roughly the same life expectancy as EPDM and that stands out with its capability to reflect light and its resistance to UV radiation;
- Built-up roofs – the most classic roofing solution for residential applications uses alternated layers of bitumen, ply sheets reinforced with organic materials or fiberglass and aggregate. BUR systems provide superior protection from leaks, heat, UV radiation and fires. Leading commercial roof repair Fort Collins pros say that, properly inspected and maintained, they can be expected to last for up to 30 years.
When you are planning to hire a Fort Collins roofer for your commercial roof, one of the first and most important things to check is legitimacy. In most states, roofing contractors are allowed to operate only if they have previously obtained a state-issued roofing license and only if they are also properly insured, carrying at least a general liability insurance and a workman’s compensation insurance if they have employees.
There are many ways to verify the roofer’s license and insurance policies. Most roofers nowadays have websites on which they present their services and portfolio. Reliable contractors are aware of the legal requirements to carry a license and the relevant insurance policies, therefore they usually provide information about those documents on their website. The other way to check the credentials is to simply ask the roofer to provide copies – if this what you choose, take the time to read them and to check whether the license has been issued by your state and whether the insurance policies are valid.
While checking your commercial roof repair Fort Collins credentials, it is also very important to find out whether the roofer will be providing the services you need through their own team or subcontractors will be involved, too. In the latter case, you will need to make sure that the roofer has insurance coverage for any damage caused by the subcontractors as well.
Fort Collins gives home to many excellent roofing companies that specialize in commercial systems – here is how to find the best commercial roof repair Fort Collins specialist for your roofing project:
- Ask other business owners – word of mouth is still a reliable source of information. Contact other business owners and ask them to tell you about their experiences with roofers;
- Look for Fort Collins roofers online – most roofing companies are present online and with a simple query, you can identify the roofers that provide the type of services that you need. Enter your search term, then take the time to check out the websites of local roofers one by one, looking for descriptions of their expertise and for portfolio images. It is a good idea to check the testimonials on the roofer’s website and the reviews and ratings provided by previous customers on relevant websites;
- Contact the roofers on your list – personal contact is essential, so schedule meetings with all the roofers on your list. During the meetings, check whether the roofer carries a state-issued license and is insured, describe your project or invite the roofer to see the roofing site, discuss the process, then request written cost estimates to see the details of the roofers’ offers;
- Pick the roofer and sign a contract with the contractor – the contract must include all the details of your agreement.
A leak in your commercial roof can bring a stream of water into your office or commercial facility and quite a lot of extra-damage and discomfort.
- Minimizing interior damage
If it happens to you, the priority is to minimize interior damage, until you manage to bring a roofer to fix the problem. When water flows into your building, quickly clear the area of equipment, furniture and supplies, to prevent them from being damaged. If some of these cannot be relocated, at least cover them with plastic foil. Place some receptacles on the floor to collect the water, and then mark the location of visible leaks while they are still occur.
- Look for other leaks
If you are lucky, the leak will be limited to one area, but if you are not, you might find other leaks in your commercial building, so make sure to look around!
- Call a professional roofer
Call a commercial roof repair Fort Collins leader and announce the emergency. Most companies are ready to intervene promptly in such situations and help you minimize the damage. Roofers will examine your roof system carefully, identify the problem that allowed the water leak and provide a project quote. You can also use this quote to make an insurance claim.
Warranties provided by commercial roof repair Fort Collins companies that execute the waterproofing of a flat commercial roof are given on the basis of a reception report that specifies the types of membrane used as well as the verification of the quality of the work. The roofing contractor guarantees the work in conditions of normal operation and repairs the eventual defects of the waterproofing in case of infiltration and other problems that occur during the guaranteed period.
An efficient waterproofing work has a duration of 10 years, provided for the integrity of the bituminous material exposed to the weather conditions specific to the area where it is installed: frost, heat, UV rays, pollutants etc. During this period, the material is expected to remain intact, without losing its qualities. However, the lifespan of a commercial roof will continue, in most of the cases, past the warranty period, if the roof is maintained properly and there are no mechanically perforated points in the membrane.
How long a commercial roof will last also depends on the type of the cover. Asphalt waterproofing membranes can be made of: oxidized raw bitumen (5 years), plastic additive bitumen (10 years), and elastic additive bitumen (10 years). There are also different types of synthetic membranes that are typically more durable: EPDM (30 years) and PVC (20 years).
Wherever you live, there are surely many commercial roof repair Fort Collins companies in your area that say that they have the right experience and expertise to do the roofing work that you need.
Unfortunately, not all roofers are legit businesses – as making sure that your roofer is legally allowed to provide roofing services is essential in any roofing project, here are some tips how to find out about that:
- Ask for proof of insurance – before signing a contract with a roofer, ask the contractor to show you copies of their insurance policies. Checking the documents is important not only for verifying legitimacy, but also to know that your property is covered if any damage occurs because of the roofer’s fault;
- Ask for references – any respectable roofing company has a list of references that you can contact to find out about the quality of the roofer’s previous work;
- Ask for proof of license – in most states, roofers can work legally only after they have obtained a license issued by the state. Roofing licenses are issued only to roofers who pass several difficult exams to prove their knowledge, so ask your prospective roofer to show you a copy of their license – it will prove that your contractor is the specialist they claim to be.
The first step you need to take when you want to buy a roof for your business is to look for a roofing company from which to request an offer. There are many commercial roofers in Fort Collins and you can make a preliminary list by searching on the internet. After that, you will need to evaluate a few commercial roofers in order to make the best final choice.
Always look for local licensed commercial roof repair Fort Collins contractors. If you cannot check the license of a roofing company, you should remove it from your list; no need for other reasons.
Make sure the company has a good local reputation and many commercial roofing projects finished in your region.
Orient yourself towards the best quality/ price ratio. It is very important to benefit from a good price for the purchase of a new commercial roof. However, you should not opt for the lowest price you can find, because a very low price doesn`t necessary mean a great discount, but rather low quality materials and/ or services.
Try to find the roofing company that offers you the best value for your money. You will achieve this by making an analysis of market prices and comparing the technical characteristics of the materials.
It is important to have homeowner`s insurance, but if you think you cannot afford it, you should know that the price you will be required to pay for it can vary by hundreds of dollars and… yes, you can also get discounts.
Just take into account the following tips:
- Take your time to shop around
There are different sources of information you can use when shopping around for insurance: the Yellow Pages, your state insurance department, National Association of Insurance Commissioners, insurance agents and more. It will take you some time indeed, but shopping around can save you a significant sum of money.
Also, do not be ashamed to ask different insurers what they would do to reduce your costs.
- Make improvements to your home or business
Making your home and/or business more disaster resistant will allow you to save on your premiums. Improving your home/business security can also bring you discounts. For example, a burglar alarm and a smoke detector can bring you a discount of 5%, while a more sophisticated security system can get you a 20% discount, from some insurance companies. You can also receive insurance discounts for up to date roofing. Check with commercial roof repair Fort Collins improvement specialists for a free inspection.
- Try to stick with your insurer for a long time
Staying with the same insurer for at least 6 years may reduce your premiums by up to 10%.
Asphalt shingles represent a material that never seems to grow stale, although it is definitely not the most impressive, neither in terms of aspect, nor in terms of durability. However, its popularity is far from being random and is due to the great balance between the price (very affordable, $5-$6/ sq. ft.) and the overall performance. As a bonus, manufacturers offer a vast asphalt color palette, that can be skillfully installed by commercial roof repair Fort Collins roofers to complement any building aesthetic.
Architectural shingles are great for any building but especially for old buildings, with beautiful architecture. They can add up to 20% value to a renovated property and, due to their high density, they are more resistant and durable than asphalt shingles.
Wood shakes and shingles provide a simplistic and naturally amazing look, making your roof standing in the neighborhood. Such a roof can withstand all kinds of Colorado weather. Wood shakes and shingles cost $7-$9/ sq. ft. and are expected to resist for 30-40 years, with proper maintenance.
This is another natural and traditional roofing material, with high capability to withstand intense heat and cold. They are also fireproof. Their distinct aspect is definitely a pro, providing a subtle Mediterranean feel and raising your property`s value. A clay roof is expensive ($13-$15/ sq. ft.) but it will last for a lifetime.