Gutters are simple and often neglected components of building envelopes, but they are also essential for maintaining the safety and the durability of the entire building. The gutters are responsible for collecting the water coming from the roof and for directing it away from the building and into the ground to prevent water damage to the roof as well as to the walls and to the foundation. To be able to do their job properly, gutters need to be maintained free of clogs – based on feedback from Colorado Springs roofing company pros, here is how to achieve that cleanliness with a few simple moves:
- Get a scoop, a brush, a bucket and a ladder – these are the tools you will need;
- Put on proper work gear – non-slip boots, work gloves, comfortable work clothes and a protective helmet are essential for safe gutter cleaning;
- Doing the job – climb up on the ladder with your tools, scrape out any debris and goo that you find in the gutter pipes and collect all that dirt into your bucket. Check and clean the downspouts, too – they direct the water into the ground, therefore they should also be clog free;
- Flushing the roof – if you have a hose that is long enough to reach the gutters, flush the pipes with water for even more thorough cleanliness.
A roof that catches fire can be extremely dangerous. Normally, the fumes from a fire tend to travel upwards, and if your attic and upstairs windows are not sealed and the ventilation system keeps working, you still have a good chance of escaping a fire without injury and having the firefighters keep it under control. If the roof is intact and designed to resist the flames longer, then even a bad fire can be contained. A roof made out of wood or another flammable material, however, is a lot more problematic.
Finding good fireproof or fire-resistant materials can, of course, be difficult if you don’t know where and how to look. Most of the time, however, the best Colorado Springs roofing company installation experts confirm that the following four choices are considered to be the best:
- Clay roofing is long lasting, appealing and highly resilient. Best of all, clay is a non-combustible material which makes your clay tiles some of the best roofing materials for achieving protection from fire.
- The most durable and most expensive roofing material is slate. Despite being heavy and not at all cheap, slate lasts a very long time, and it comes with beautiful colors and textures. It’s also a great fire-resistant choice for roofing.
- Concrete tiles are even more durable and rough than clay tiles, and they are pretty low maintenance. Even though concrete tiles are a bit on the expensive side, their impressive fire-resistance rating and versatility makes them one of the best roofing choices overall.
- Metal is probably your best choice for fire-resistant roofing. It’s energy efficient, lasts for more than half a century, and it’s one of the least high-maintenance roofing materials on the market.
Hail storms are severe weather phenomena that may cause a lot of damage. Those small pieces of ice (which are not always so small…) fall with high velocity and may destroy buildings, crops, vehicles etc.
When it comes to protecting your roof from hail damage, you may be disappointed to find out that there is not much you can do. There is no fix or magic trick for preventing hail damage. All you can do is to make sure your roof is in good shape all the time, because this way it is more likely to resist to this type of aggression.
There are impact-resistant roofing materials you can consider for your roof, especially if you live in a region where hail storms are common. A professional roofing contractor can give you the best recommendation. Just make sure to stay away of storm chaser. They may show up after a hailstorm and promise you a new roof that will keep you protected from hail forever, when in reality they are concerned exclusively about taking your money and go.
Contact a well-established Colorado Springs roofing company in your community and ask for options when it comes to protection from hail, to avoid being ill-prepared in front of a hail storm that may leave your home exposed and defenseless.
According to statistical data, the average cost of the installation of a new roof is in the 5,000-11,000 range, with the price of most new roofs being around 8,000. However, according to knowledgeable Colorado Springs roofing company experts, the actual price that you will have to pay for your roof depends on many factors – here are some that will influence the final costs:
- The material used – the most affordable roofing solutions are the systems that use asphalt shingles, followed in line by metal and various synthetic materials and with clay and cement tiles and natural roofing materials, such as green roofing, wood and slate occupying the top of the price range;
- Labor costs – shingle and metal roofs are the easiest and cheapest to install and they can be installed on top of the old roof if it is strong enough, the feature further reducing the related labor expenses. Clay and cement tiles, slate, wood and green roofs require special expertise to install, therefore they incur higher labor rates;
- Maintenance – when calculating the costs of your new roof, you should add maintenance costs, too. Most roofing materials are cheap and easy to maintain, all they need being regular inspections and cleaning, while others, such as green roofs require professional maintenance, which adds to the overall costs.
The average price of a roof replacement is around 8,000 dollars, but the costs of replacing your old roof with a different type of material depends on many factors – here are some:
- The price of the new material – currently, asphalt shingles are the most affordable roofing materials; the second material in the line in terms of pricing is metal, followed by synthetic materials, clay and cement tiles and with wood, slate, green roofing systems and solar roofs being the most expensive options;
- The removal of the old roof – some roofing materials can be installed on top of the old roof, while others need the old roof to be removed completely. The previous category requires less work and the process does not generate any debris, therefore it is cheaper;
- The size of your roof and the extra features that need to be catered for – the price of your new roof is calculated per square foot, so the larger the roof, the higher the final amount. Colorado Springs roofing company authorities remind us that remodeling a roof that features multiple slopes and other features, such as dormers or skylights also make the roof more expensive;
- Labor fees – not all materials are installed for the same rates. Asphalt shingles and metal panels are the cheapest in terms of labor costs, too, while green roofs, solar roofs and the materials that require special expertise, dedicated technologies and tools to install will be the most expensive.
Finding a good Colorado Springs roofing company is no easy task. If you want to avoid any problems and botched roofing jobs, consider following these guidelines on how to select the best and most reliable roofing contractor for a specific roofing job that you want help with:
- Start by evaluating exactly what type of project you want help with.
- What type of new roof do you want to have installed, or what type of repair do you need help with. Jot down all the details.
- Start your search online, and limit it to small, local roofing companies specializing in the type of task you need help with.
- Write down the names and contact details of all the relevant roofers you find.
- Narrow down your search to include only licensed, insured and bonded roofers that have at least 4-5 years of experience.
- Check all of their track record as well as any complaints associated with their names on the BBB website.
- Look up reviews and online ratings.
- Call the best of them and ask them to provide you with some insight on how they can help you.
- Ask for references and for a detailed, written quote.
- Weigh in all your options, and narrow it down to the one roofing contractor that has the services and costs that are best suited to your needs and budget.
Colorado Springs roofing company experts are often talking about the necessity of gutters and why they have to be kept clean and in good condition at all times.
Here are just a few of the most essential reasons you need to consider:
- Gutters are responsible for allowing rainwater to safely get from your roof to the ground without affecting the structure of your home. As a result, everything from water damage to your roof, to siding damage and even foundation damage can be prevented as long as you simply keep your gutters clear of any unwanted debris and anything that could clog them or damage their structure over time.
- Your gutters should also be kept clean in order to discourage the presence of pests. Some insects as well as other pests, can be drawn to dirty or clogged gutters, where they could even set up their nests or create an infestation that can affect your entire home.
- Clean gutters will be free of debris and dirt, allowing water to move freely and preventing damage that would require extensive repairs down the line. As a result, it’s very much in your financial interest to keep your gutters clean at all times, since it will prolong their lifespan, prevent the need for frequent repairs and help you save a lot of cash over the next few years.
When replacing the roof or building a new one, it is important to know what type of material should you choose. The most important factors for you to consider when choosing one are durability, energy efficiency and longevity.
If you want to make sure that your roofing material is durable enough, you could consult with a seasoned Colorado Springs roofing company expert to help you. Meanwhile, you can also consult this list.
- Metal roofing material made from aluminum, steel, copper or zinc are significantly more durable and have a long lifespan, up to 50 years. This material also impacts resistance and need less maintenance than others. Because a metal roof acts as a natural insulator, it is energy efficient and it is also is 100% recyclable.
- The plastic polymer is incredibly durable roofing material. It can last more than 50 years and require little maintenance and is very energy efficient.
- Asphalt shingles may be the most popular roofing material, but make sure to choose the one with a good indicator of impact resistance and overall durability. Asphalt shingles can last up to 30 years.
- Slate is one of the oldest roofing materials but is also one of the most expensive ones. It can last more than 100 years and it is fireproof. The main inconvenience though is that slate tiles can crack under heavyweight.
A home inspection is mandatory when you want to sell or to buy a house. But home inspection does not include a roof inspection too. As a buyer, would you like to buy a house with a roof in really bad shape?
To prevent this from happening, you need a roof certification. Sometimes you have to ask for one because it is not always stipulated in purchase contracts. This certification, basically, it is like a tool that helps both the seller and the buyer to make the deal much more confidently. This way, the buyer can make a general opinion about the potential investment and the seller can prove that the roof is in good condition.
On the surface, the roof may seem safe, but a Colorado Springs roofing company roof inspector can tell you if there are some missing roofing materials, or if the flashing, chimneys and the HVAC units are in a good shape. If there are some repairs required, the roofing company will provide the seller this certificate only after the issue is solved. And even if the roof does not require major repairs at the moment, a Colorado Springs roofing company roof certification helps you estimate how old the roof is and the remaining years of life.
The performance of a roof should be one of the main concerns of any homeowner, considering that the indoor safety and protection from weather largely depend on the roof.
It is good to know that the best roof you can have is not necessarily the most expensive; it is the roof designed to withstand local climate, using high quality materials and installed flawlessly by a reputable Colorado Springs roofing company.
Factors that negatively impact the performance of a residential roof include:
Sun the most damaging factor to a roof, in the long run. Constant exposure to UV radiation causes deterioration of roofing materials and premature aging of the roof.
Trees with untrimmed branches hanging above or too close to the roof are a damaging factor. Leaves will accumulate more frequently in the gutters, not to mention that high winds can cause branches to fall on the roof and damage shingles and accessories.
The worst enemy of any roof remains the rain. Water infiltration, no matter how small and insignificant, is an emergency and requires very prompt repairs, otherwise the roof degradation will advance quickly and in a very unfavorable way for you.
A poorly ventilated roof loses its insulation properties and causes decay and damage.