The performance of a roof should be one of the main concerns of any homeowner, considering that the indoor safety and protection from weather largely depend on the roof.
It is good to know that the best roof you can have is not necessarily the most expensive; it is the roof designed to withstand local climate, using high quality materials and installed flawlessly by a reputable Colorado Springs roofing company.
Factors that negatively impact the performance of a residential roof include:
Sun the most damaging factor to a roof, in the long run. Constant exposure to UV radiation causes deterioration of roofing materials and premature aging of the roof.
Trees with untrimmed branches hanging above or too close to the roof are a damaging factor. Leaves will accumulate more frequently in the gutters, not to mention that high winds can cause branches to fall on the roof and damage shingles and accessories.
The worst enemy of any roof remains the rain. Water infiltration, no matter how small and insignificant, is an emergency and requires very prompt repairs, otherwise the roof degradation will advance quickly and in a very unfavorable way for you.
A poorly ventilated roof loses its insulation properties and causes decay and damage.
When you experience problems with the roof, you are definitely stressed enough to think about anything else. However, things can become even worse if you are not careful enough and hire the wrong contractor.
There are many roofing scams out there; you can find them at your door anytime, promising you fantastic services or trying to convince you that you have a problem with your roof that you know nothing about, but they most likely appear after a big storm or other severe weather phenomena that affects an entire area, because they know perfectly well that people in such situation are vulnerable and would do anything to have their problems fixed as soon as possible. These roofing scams have no scruples and could make you sign a contract that doesn’t actually protect you, or provide you low quality services, take your money and disappear.
If you want to avoid all these, no matter in what situation you are and how badly you want your roof to be in good shape again, TAKE YOUR TIME TO FIND A TRUSTWORTHY Colorado Springs roofing company contractor.
Speak with your insurance company first, then find a few local contractors, licensed, insured, with good reputation and get their estimates in writing, to compare them. Never make verbal arrangements or sign a contract with blanks.
Roof damage is inherent and may sometimes be quite costly. If you are on a budget, we can give you some tips so you will not be surprised by the costs and have the budget ready for it.
None of us wants to experience roof problems. Many people deny the inevitable and try to convince themselves that they do not or will not have serious roof problems. However, the best thing is to keep an eye on your roof through periodic inspections and maintenance operations and pay attention to small things rather than to face big problems that can shorten its lifespan and make you pay a lot more.
Another important thing to consider when you are on a budget is getting insurance for your roof. This way, you are protected no matter when the problems appear and you will not have to worry about paying a large sum of money from your pocket at once.
Choosing the right time for the roof repair will also save you money. Colorado Springs roofing company technicians experienced in roofing installation and repairs are the busiest at the end of summer and in autumn, so planning to replace or repair the roof at the end of winter or in spring will likely bring you discounts, and operations may take less time.
Most of the home maintenance is done in Fall. During this period, there are many things tackle. So much so, that it can get a bit confusing and by preparing either a plan or checklist could result in fewer headaches during this period. There are a variety of little things to keep track of during Fall maintenance.
Developing a schedule for the work that needs doing each day could prove to be a useful tool so that no important details are being overseen that could be a problem in the future. Assigning a day to have a Colorado Springs roofing company rep inspect the roof, having another day prepared for checking the attic and another one for cleaning the exterior of the home, and so on.
Keeping track of the maintenance during Fall as well as other improvement projects on the home can be a huge benefit to making sure that the structure is in good condition and presents no issues, especially during the winter months. Keeping track of any maintenance or improvement done to the home is recommended. Every detail such as repairing or replacing the roof, cleaning the gutters, repainting the home or repairing the siding should be taken into account.
The roof pitch, often referred to as the roof slope, is the angle of the sides of the roof, the measurement of the vertical rise by the horizontal run. The parameter is among the most important ones that are associated with roofs – the pitch will be the factor that determines the materials that can be used on the roof, the overall costs as well as the duration of the roofing process. Here are some more details related to the roof pitch:
- All roofs have a certain pitch – there is no such thing as a completely flat roof, even the ones look flat have a small pitch to prevent the accumulation of ponding water on the surface of the roof;
- Each roofing material comes with specifications related to the range of pitch that the material is suitable for;
- Durability – as a general rule, steeper roofs are more durable due to the fact that they drain more efficiently. Flat roofs, on the other hand, need some help to resist for long, but with some attention to the drainage system attached to them, they will protect the building they are installed on for the expected amount of time without problem.
For more information regarding roofing service costs, contact a local family owned Colorado Springs roofing company for honest and knowledgeable support.
Storms cause millions of dollars of damage on roofs across the country and many owners of buildings that have suffered roof damage caused by storms fail to address the problem properly or receive the right amount of insurance compensation because their actions are informed by misconceptions.
Here are some of the most common myths about storm roof damage repairs that you should not believe:
- If there are no missing components, I don’t need repair – missing roof components, such as shingles or tiles that have been swept off, are the most obvious, but not the only sign of storm damage. Storms might cause leaks or other forms of structural damage without sweeping off parts of the roof, so if you suspect your roof is under such stress, you will need to get the roof inspected by a professional storm damage repair Colorado Springs roofing company;
- Storm damage on my roof is covered by manufacturer’s warranty – most manufacturers exclude the damage caused by hail and storms from the coverage and so do most roofers;
- The damage on my roof is very small, therefore I should not file an insurance claim – you should file a claim for any damage that is covered by your policy, no matter how small it is. Roof damage can aggravate quickly, so any issue needs to be addressed in a timely manner and why pay for it if you can get compensation from your insurer?
Most commercial buildings are flat, and the lack of slope is a risk of standing water and infiltrations that add a big stress to the roof and void warranties. Here comes the role of tapered insulation: it has been designed precisely to create artificial roof slopes and eliminate ponding water from the surface of flat roofs.
A tapered roof system can be installed much easier than adding a layer of screed on top, which saves about 25% on roofing costs. It is lightweight, so it can be handled with ease and does not load the structure of the building.
Design is tied to its performance. In most of the cases, Colorado Springs roofing company specialists use polyisocyanurate insulation, which is rigid foam insulation, commonly used in flat roof construction, being compatible with any roof membrane. There are different potential slope designs that can be created, but roofing specialists must consider each building’s layout, the presence of HVAC units, drainage locations, as well as specific concerns each client may have.
Tapered insulation also has superior R-values. The level of insulation is directly responsible for the energy costs for heating & cooling, so adding tapered insulation to your flat roof will allow you to pay less for energy bills.
Structural roofing issues are problems that affect the support structure of the roof. They can be caused by a building or design defect, by leaks that have gone undetected and therefore neglected for a long time, by the excessive weight of snow that has spent too long on the roof, by pest attacks and in the most severe cases, they pose very serious safety concerns for the building and for the entire household.
Here are some of the major symptoms of such structural issues:
- Roof ridge bending or sagging – a sagging or uneven ridge can be detected from the ground, by simply looking up at the roof; A reputable Colorado Springs roofing company will easily spot structural roofing damage, and provide necessary repairs.
- Excessive moisture in the attic – wet beams, rafters and soaked or damp insulation are clear signs that moisture has penetrated through the roof and has soaked into the roof’s support structure, damaging and weakening it;
- Signs of structural roof damage inside the house – any deformation or major deterioration of the roof affects the structure of the building underneath as well. Cracked plaster, windows and doors that no longer open and close properly, ceilings that start sagging, cracking or warping, severe leaks that keep recurring are all signs that the roof is affected by unwanted structural changes.
The lifespan of your roof depends on many different factors – here are some of the most important aspects that influence roof longevity:
- The roofing material – some roofing materials are longer-lived than others. Plain, 3-tab asphalt shingles last around 20 years, architectural shingles live for 25-30 years, metal panels can stay on your building for around 30-50 years, while clay tiles can last for a century;
- The climate – your roof is continuously exposed to the elements, which means that the roofs in harsh climate areas need to withstand more beating from the weather than the roofs in milder climate zones;
- Care and maintenance – you can prolong the life of your roofing with regular maintenance and timely repairs. Ideally, roofs need to be cleaned and inspected professionally by Colorado Springs roofing company experts every six months and whatever fault is detected during the inspection needs to be corrected in a timely manner, before it aggravates;
- Roof sloping angle – high-pitched roofs usually last longer than flat roofs because ponding water does not affect them and snow will also slip downwards on the sides, without pressing hard and damaging the surface. However, you can also make sure that your flat roof stays strong by removing excess snow and regularly removing excess water from the surface.
Roof replacement is a major investment that requires planning and financial efforts. However, postponing the replacement for too longer after you have found out that it is the only way to get proper protection from the elements in your home is not the best idea – here is why:
- Roofs that need to be replaced can cause various other forms of damage to your building – roofing components might fall of the roof and large leaks can develop quickly, posing the risk of injuries around the house and causing issues, such a leaks, the appearance of mold and mildew inside the house, the elimination of which will only to the already huge costs of roof replacement; It is important to contact a reputable Colorado Springs roofing company for an inspection and repair before additional damage is incurred.
- Roof collapse – roofs that need replacement are usually weakened and can collapse anytime. Roof collapse can completely ruin your home, requiring you to invest not only into a new roof, but into other types of restoration as well;
- The sooner you can put all that stress behind you, the better – roof replacement work involves disruption in the daily life of your household, so the sooner you start it, the better because the sooner it can get finished and the sooner you can forget about it all.