The R-value indicated in the specifications attached to insulation materials indicates the material’s resistance to conductive heat flow, that is, the material’s ability to prevent thermal exchange between two spaces. The higher the R-value indicated on a product, the more effective the product is in terms of insulation capacity.
When making decisions about the insulation materials to be installed in your home, you need to look at the R-value of the product you want to choose and you also need to consider aspects related to thickness and location. The R-value of a material can be increased by increasing the thickness and its efficiency will be reduced by any compaction. You must also be aware that the overall R-value of the insulated space will be lower than the R-value of the insulation material because heat flows more readily through exposed studs and joints. The best way to maximize the R-value of your insulated space is to consider combining insulation materials – for example, you can use an insulation blanket on your attic floor and puck a different solution for your attic walls, such as foam insulation.
To be able to make the most of your investment into home insulation, the R-value needed must be calculated carefully, based on climate features and building properties. You can turn to your designated Colorado Springs roofing company for advice and help with the calculation process as well as for consultation regarding your options.
Considering that almost all the planet’s resources are declining significantly from one day to the next, everyone’s attention is shifting towards renewable alternatives, environmentally friendly solutions that people can use without creating more problems or risks.
A trusted rep for a Colorado Springs roofing company tells us that solar panels are among the main options, and more and more people are starting to invest in them.
There are two main types of residential solar panels:
Photovoltaic solar panels
Photovoltaic solar panels are composed of solar cells and convert solar energy directly into electricity. Certain materials can be used to produce electricity when exposed to sunlight, and this property is known as the photovoltaic effect. Solar panels use this property to convert light energy into electricity. Furthermore, an inverter converts it into alternating current that you can use in your home. Excess electricity can be stored separately, in a storage battery, and you can use it later, for example, at night.
Solar thermal panels
They are also known as collectors or heat collectors. Unlike photovoltaic panels, solar thermal panels capture solar energy and transform it into thermal energy, water being the main heating agent. Solar thermal panels can provide only 60-80% of the hot water requirements in winter, but in summer the percent can reach 100%.
The Better Business Bureau is a non-profit organization that has been evaluating businesses based on various criteria and making their findings public to promote trust since 1912.
The organization uses a rating system from the highest A+ to the lowest F, the letters representing the degree of confidence that one can have in the products and services of the evaluated companies. Colorado Springs roofing company specialists tell us that the ratings provided by the BBB are based on 16 factors – here are some:
- the complaint history of the business;
- the type of the business;
- the time that the business has spent actively in the business;
- the transparency of the business’ practices;
- any failure to honor commitments to the BBB;
- the licensing procedures that the business has undergone;
- any issues related to advertising.
Each rating element is associated with a certain number of points given or taken based on the specific characteristics of the assessed business. The total score that a business can achieve is 100 points, then the letter rating is awarded based on the score optioned in points. The highest rating is awarded to companies that have earned 97-100 points, while the lowest F rating is given to businesses that earn 0-59.99 points.
Gutters are simple and often neglected components of building envelopes, but they are also essential for maintaining the safety and the durability of the entire building. The gutters are responsible for collecting the water coming from the roof and for directing it away from the building and into the ground to prevent water damage to the roof as well as to the walls and to the foundation. To be able to do their job properly, gutters need to be maintained free of clogs – based on feedback from Colorado Springs roofing company pros, here is how to achieve that cleanliness with a few simple moves:
- Get a scoop, a brush, a bucket and a ladder – these are the tools you will need;
- Put on proper work gear – non-slip boots, work gloves, comfortable work clothes and a protective helmet are essential for safe gutter cleaning;
- Doing the job – climb up on the ladder with your tools, scrape out any debris and goo that you find in the gutter pipes and collect all that dirt into your bucket. Check and clean the downspouts, too – they direct the water into the ground, therefore they should also be clog free;
- Flushing the roof – if you have a hose that is long enough to reach the gutters, flush the pipes with water for even more thorough cleanliness.
A roof that catches fire can be extremely dangerous. Normally, the fumes from a fire tend to travel upwards, and if your attic and upstairs windows are not sealed and the ventilation system keeps working, you still have a good chance of escaping a fire without injury and having the firefighters keep it under control. If the roof is intact and designed to resist the flames longer, then even a bad fire can be contained. A roof made out of wood or another flammable material, however, is a lot more problematic.
Finding good fireproof or fire-resistant materials can, of course, be difficult if you don’t know where and how to look. Most of the time, however, the best Colorado Springs roofing company installation experts confirm that the following four choices are considered to be the best:
- Clay roofing is long lasting, appealing and highly resilient. Best of all, clay is a non-combustible material which makes your clay tiles some of the best roofing materials for achieving protection from fire.
- The most durable and most expensive roofing material is slate. Despite being heavy and not at all cheap, slate lasts a very long time, and it comes with beautiful colors and textures. It’s also a great fire-resistant choice for roofing.
- Concrete tiles are even more durable and rough than clay tiles, and they are pretty low maintenance. Even though concrete tiles are a bit on the expensive side, their impressive fire-resistance rating and versatility makes them one of the best roofing choices overall.
- Metal is probably your best choice for fire-resistant roofing. It’s energy efficient, lasts for more than half a century, and it’s one of the least high-maintenance roofing materials on the market.
Hail storms are severe weather phenomena that may cause a lot of damage. Those small pieces of ice (which are not always so small…) fall with high velocity and may destroy buildings, crops, vehicles etc.
When it comes to protecting your roof from hail damage, you may be disappointed to find out that there is not much you can do. There is no fix or magic trick for preventing hail damage. All you can do is to make sure your roof is in good shape all the time, because this way it is more likely to resist to this type of aggression.
There are impact-resistant roofing materials you can consider for your roof, especially if you live in a region where hail storms are common. A professional roofing contractor can give you the best recommendation. Just make sure to stay away of storm chaser. They may show up after a hailstorm and promise you a new roof that will keep you protected from hail forever, when in reality they are concerned exclusively about taking your money and go.
Contact a well-established Colorado Springs roofing company in your community and ask for options when it comes to protection from hail, to avoid being ill-prepared in front of a hail storm that may leave your home exposed and defenseless.
According to statistical data, the average cost of the installation of a new roof is in the 5,000-11,000 range, with the price of most new roofs being around 8,000. However, according to knowledgeable Colorado Springs roofing company experts, the actual price that you will have to pay for your roof depends on many factors – here are some that will influence the final costs:
- The material used – the most affordable roofing solutions are the systems that use asphalt shingles, followed in line by metal and various synthetic materials and with clay and cement tiles and natural roofing materials, such as green roofing, wood and slate occupying the top of the price range;
- Labor costs – shingle and metal roofs are the easiest and cheapest to install and they can be installed on top of the old roof if it is strong enough, the feature further reducing the related labor expenses. Clay and cement tiles, slate, wood and green roofs require special expertise to install, therefore they incur higher labor rates;
- Maintenance – when calculating the costs of your new roof, you should add maintenance costs, too. Most roofing materials are cheap and easy to maintain, all they need being regular inspections and cleaning, while others, such as green roofs require professional maintenance, which adds to the overall costs.
The average price of a roof replacement is around 8,000 dollars, but the costs of replacing your old roof with a different type of material depends on many factors – here are some:
- The price of the new material – currently, asphalt shingles are the most affordable roofing materials; the second material in the line in terms of pricing is metal, followed by synthetic materials, clay and cement tiles and with wood, slate, green roofing systems and solar roofs being the most expensive options;
- The removal of the old roof – some roofing materials can be installed on top of the old roof, while others need the old roof to be removed completely. The previous category requires less work and the process does not generate any debris, therefore it is cheaper;
- The size of your roof and the extra features that need to be catered for – the price of your new roof is calculated per square foot, so the larger the roof, the higher the final amount. Colorado Springs roofing company authorities remind us that remodeling a roof that features multiple slopes and other features, such as dormers or skylights also make the roof more expensive;
- Labor fees – not all materials are installed for the same rates. Asphalt shingles and metal panels are the cheapest in terms of labor costs, too, while green roofs, solar roofs and the materials that require special expertise, dedicated technologies and tools to install will be the most expensive.
Finding a good Colorado Springs roofing company is no easy task. If you want to avoid any problems and botched roofing jobs, consider following these guidelines on how to select the best and most reliable roofing contractor for a specific roofing job that you want help with:
- Start by evaluating exactly what type of project you want help with.
- What type of new roof do you want to have installed, or what type of repair do you need help with. Jot down all the details.
- Start your search online, and limit it to small, local roofing companies specializing in the type of task you need help with.
- Write down the names and contact details of all the relevant roofers you find.
- Narrow down your search to include only licensed, insured and bonded roofers that have at least 4-5 years of experience.
- Check all of their track record as well as any complaints associated with their names on the BBB website.
- Look up reviews and online ratings.
- Call the best of them and ask them to provide you with some insight on how they can help you.
- Ask for references and for a detailed, written quote.
- Weigh in all your options, and narrow it down to the one roofing contractor that has the services and costs that are best suited to your needs and budget.
Colorado Springs roofing company experts are often talking about the necessity of gutters and why they have to be kept clean and in good condition at all times.
Here are just a few of the most essential reasons you need to consider:
- Gutters are responsible for allowing rainwater to safely get from your roof to the ground without affecting the structure of your home. As a result, everything from water damage to your roof, to siding damage and even foundation damage can be prevented as long as you simply keep your gutters clear of any unwanted debris and anything that could clog them or damage their structure over time.
- Your gutters should also be kept clean in order to discourage the presence of pests. Some insects as well as other pests, can be drawn to dirty or clogged gutters, where they could even set up their nests or create an infestation that can affect your entire home.
- Clean gutters will be free of debris and dirt, allowing water to move freely and preventing damage that would require extensive repairs down the line. As a result, it’s very much in your financial interest to keep your gutters clean at all times, since it will prolong their lifespan, prevent the need for frequent repairs and help you save a lot of cash over the next few years.