When it comes to metal roofing, copper is one of the materials that can be used. A copper roof is bold and shiny and comes to be chosen due to its particularly beautiful aspect.
For centuries, copper roofs have covered the most famous architectural masterpieces in Europe. If you decide to choose this roofing solution, you should know that its value will not decrease, which means that you will never lose your investment. Also, a copper roof is recyclable.
With a copper roof, maintenance and repairs are almost non-existent. You probably know from personal experience or have heard from others that roof maintenance and repairs can be time consuming, frustrating and expensive, at least in the case of certain types of roofs. With copper roofs you will not have such hassles. In addition, in demand Colorado Springs roofing companies confirmed that such a roof will withstand even the most severe weather conditions, year after year; it will not catch fire, rust, corrode, nor require additional coating and repainting.
The only disadvantage of a copper roof is its price. The costs will be quite high, but this is only a relative disadvantage: the money will be recovered due to the durability of the roof and the savings in terms of maintenance and repairs.
Contemporary buildings are more than just bricks and mortar. Today’s designers and builders can choose from a wide range of energy-efficient materials to create buildings that combine interior comfort with low energy consumption costs and low environmental impact. This also applies to roofs.
The roofs receive solar energy every minute, which is why you must also consider purchasing an energy efficient roof. In this regard, you must consider the following aspects: materials, colors, insulation and ventilation.
The most energy efficient roofing materials installed by Colorado Springs roofing companies are natural materials such as ceramic tiles and wood shingles, but we can also add metal shingles and we are going to explain why. But let`s take them one at a time.
Ceramic tiles are made of natural ingredients, being a mix of earth, water and fire. This type of roof provides natural insulation, which means that it maintains indoor temperature constant, in any season, reducing both heating and cooling costs.
Wood shingles and shakes
Wood is another natural material excellent when it comes to thermal insulation properties. A wooden roof can keep the heat in during the cold season and also acts as a barrier against the sun, preventing the house from getting too hot in the summer. It also has great humidity and moisture control properties that contribute to the overall energy efficiency.
Metal roofing is energy efficient especially in warm and sunny climates, due to its natural reflective properties. A metal roof reflects the sun rays, so it does not absorb the heat – which can significantly reduce the cooling costs.
Snow and ice are natural occurrences in winter, things that we look forward to and many of us love, too. However, winter weather brings much less happiness for roofs – both snow and ice can press hard on roofing surfaces and on gutters and freezing temperatures can also be harmful. Identifying snow damage in time and damage prevention measures are essential for preserving the health of your roof, so here are some tips for you:
- Prevention – the only way to prevent winter roof damage is to prepare and to fortify the roof before the first frost. Clean the roof and the gutters from any debris, such as dust, twigs, fallen leaves, feathers and other debris, then inspect the structures for any damage that needs attention. Whatever issue you find, fix it or get it fixed right away by recommended Colorado Springs roofing companies to ensure that your roof is at its very best when snow and ice come;
- Free your roof – both snow and ice dams are very heavy and harmful for roofs, therefore they should be removed from your roof. You can use a roof rake to get snow off the roof, but ice dams are best removed manually, with gentle movements to prevent hurting your roof;
- Insulate your attic – proper insulation underneath the roof can prevent the formation of ice dams and will also improve the energy-efficiency of your entire home by preventing energy exchange.
The shingles on your roof make up only the outermost, visible layer of the topmost structure on your building – as a matter of fact, any roof consists of much more than the roof covering materials. Here are some of the other major roofing components:
- The roofing underlayment – this is a layer of roofing felt immediately under the shingles. The underlayment serves the purpose of repelling moisture and of protection against water infiltration;
- The roof deck – this is the structural support system of the roof. It is usually made from wood or from plywood;
- The roof ridge – this is the topmost line of sloping roofs, the place where two roof slopes meet at the top;
- Roof vents – these openings found right under the ridge and at the base of the roof enable roof ventilation by facilitating the movement of air underneath the roof. In demand Colorado Springs roofing companies acknowledge that venting is essential for preventing condensation and roof overheating;
- Roof valleys – the place where two roof sections meet;
- Roof flashing – flashing is the term used for the stripes of durable material, such as metal or rubberized materials, installed around roof openings or wherever two roof sections, on the roof valleys meet to strengthen those areas and to prevent the penetration of water.
Roof replacement experts are relatively easy to spot. All you have to do is ask your neighbor who installed their shiny new roof, and you’ll already have a lead. However, with roof repair it can be a little trickier, since not all roofers who specialize in a certain type of roof are the best at fixing it, and many of those who can do the best job fixing a roof don’t advertise themselves as much as larger roofing companies.
What you should be looking for is a small, family owned roofing business that handles primarily smaller projects. These roofers, even though they are certified and licensed, and they may have been part of the industry for years, focus primarily on helping people out, rather than trying to make huge profits.
They are the ones who will be friendly from the start, advise you on fixing your roof – if possible –rather than replacing it, and give you an honest, written assessment of how much the project will cost.
You can frequently find Colorado Springs roofing companies online, promoting their services either on social media or on the local map directories. Talk to a few of them, get their quotes, and do a quick background check on each to select the roofer that not only specializes in the type of work you need them for, but can also provide you with an assurance that your roof will be fixed properly.
When it comes to installing a new roof, it’s important to make the distinction between residential and commercial roofing. While one of them has to do with homeowners and the roofing systems they might install on their homes, the other term refers to roofs that are typically used by business owners for stores, office buildings, warehouses and other commercial buildings.
Of course, a commercial roof doesn’t have to be a flat roof. If you hear that commercial roofers typically specialize in flat roofing systems like built-up roofing or EPDM, that’s simply because those are some of the types that you’ll encounter the most. However, it is possible that a modified house be used for business or that a residential home located in a residential neighborhood have a flat roof and look like most commercial buildings.
If you want the support of expert Colorado Springs roofing companies who know about both commercial and residential roofing systems, your best choice is to contact a commercial roofer who also does residential roofing on the side. That is because most commercial roofers have started out with small residential roofing projects, and they can still help you out with most of the issues revolving around those types of systems, especially if they still handle residential projects from time to time.
If your roof looks very dirty and there is debris and vegetation stuck on it, you will have to consider a cleanup. Pressure washing may seem like a good solution, because it provides you the perspective of having a clean roof in no time, but actually you should not get so excited about it, because it is not all it is cracked up to be.
The problem with this solution is that the process can cause roof damage and, if you still have a warranty certificate available, it might invalidate it.
A power washer’s output pressure can be too high to bear by certain roofing materials. An improper nozzle size is also a potential problem. High pressure water can compromise not just covering materials, but also sealants, bonding or adhesive between shingles, underlying fabric of the roofing material as well as futures like chimneys, solar panels, skylights or flashing. In an asphalt roof, pressurized water will likely strip away the shingles’ granulation.
Representatives from Colorado Springs roofing companies will tell you that roofing materials are not designed to withstand pounding high water pressure, and this is why you should avoid it. Better call the professionals and allow them to clean your roof by using safe methods and solutions.
The best way to ensure that your roofer will deliver the promised quality is by carefully evaluating the roofers in your area and by picking the most reliable contractor. Here are some aspects to check:
- Experience and credentials – to be able to operate legally, roofers need to be licensed and insured in the state in which they are registered, so it is very important to check those documents before hiring a roofer. You also need a roofer who has extensive experience with the roofing job that you need a specialist for, so make sure to check the completed work portfolios of Colorado Springs roofing companies;
- Personal impressions – you need a roofer who makes you feel comfortable, a friendly and helpful professional who is willing to explain you the process and is willing to answer your questions;
- Reputation – there are many great online resources to check what others think about a roofer in your area. Rating and review websites, forums where people share their experiences with service providers and word of mouth advice from the people that you know and trust are all great sources of information that you can use to verify recommended Colorado Springs roofing companies and help you pick the one that will do a perfect job with your roof.
Icicles are part of the magic of winter, and pictures of them taken from the right angles can make an impression on Instagram… However, you really should not want them hanging from your eaves.
Icicles are just the inverted top of the iceberg formed in the gutters and downspouts. The ice accumulated in these areas is not only dangerous to those who pass underneath (which is why landlords, tenants and HOAs have the obligation to remove it), but may also cause serious damage to the construction itself. We are talking about the risk of gutter deformation, cracking pipes, damaged roof elements, water infiltrations or leaks. Even the foundation of the house can be affected, in the long run.
Heat losses from inside the building will heat the roof structure, but not the gutters. Therefore, melted snow will freeze when it gets in contact with them. A first step when it comes to preventing this phenomenon is to install an efficient ventilation system for the space under the roof, which will prevent significant variations in temperature.
Regarding the rainwater system, which consists of gutters and downspouts, an important role is played by the accessories it must be provided with, to allow safe water drainage to the sewerage network.
Additionally, a de-icing system for your roof, which works on the basis of heated electric cables, is a very efficient and convenient solution.
Visit with reputable Colorado Springs roofing companies for roof and gutter inspection and repair, and follow up with recommendations annually to keep your roof problem free.
Managing a complex roofing project is no easy task, and it’s no secret that not all contractors are up to it. If you ask some homeowners and business owners, you will hear horror stories of how they hired a contractor that seemed professional, only to have to spend double the cost on a roofing installation job that should have gone smoothly and be done within a few days.
To avoid such issues, it’s a good idea to have a roofing contractor checklist that will help you determine who to hire:
- Define the project or job you need help with in as much detail as you can. For example, if you want a new roof, do some research on the type of roof you have and the type you want to install, and consider all the details and ramifications of the installation job.
- Look up some of the best local Colorado Springs roofing companies who claim to specialize in the type of job you need help with. Make a list with their company names and contact details, and begin asking your neighbors and colleagues if they know about them, doing a background check on the legitimacy of their claims (including looking up reviews) and, of course, calling to see if the information they give you is legitimate and matches your findings.
- Meet up with each roofer you’re thinking about hiring, and talk to them about your project. You will want as many details as possible about how they can help you, before making your final choice.