Slate is an attractive, natural roofing material, one of the most durable and most traditional options. Consisting of slabs of stone cut manually, slate systems are not the cheapest, they are surely heavy and their installation requires special expertise, but their incredible qualities still make the option an excellent choice. Here is why:
- Longevity – natural stone has been standing up to the elements for millions of years, the roofs built from the material being the most durable systems, with a longevity of over 100 years;
- Resistance – slate resists to whatever the weather brings about, including rain, snow, wind and sunshine. Colorado Springs roofing companies with extensive experience confirm that the material is non-combustible, making the perfect choice for fire-prone areas and no rodents, termites and other pests can harm it;
- Increased property value – slate roofs are appreciated by potential buyers, too, allowing sellers to increase their asking price;
- Unparalleled beauty – no other roofing material can match the elegance and style of slate. There are no two slabs that are completely the same and natural stone features many different shades and grains.
If slate seems like an attractive solution, you should be aware that the material is very heavy and quite brittle, being sensitive to impact.
Summer might be the favorite season of many of us, but it is also a period that is difficult for roofs, a period of high heat, strong UV radiation and strong storms, too. Roofs being exposed to so much during the summer, they need all the protection they can get to be able to stand up to all the challenges – Colorado Springs roofing companies offer roof protection measures and maintenance tips that you can implement:
- Regular inspections – your roof needs to undergo two detailed, professional inspections a year, one in spring and one in fall, but it is a good idea to perform additional checks after storms and prolonged rainy periods. Stepping up the frequency of the inspections makes sure that any roof fault is caught when it is still small;
- Trim your trees – large trees keep shade and improve the quality of the air on your property, but any limb that overhangs the roof can be broken and dropped onto the roof by winds and storms. To prevent that from happening, regularly inspect your trees and cut off any branches that seem weakened;
- Maintain the drainage system – regularly cleaning, inspecting and, if necessary, repairing the gutters and the downspouts is essential for ensuring proper water shedding from the roof.
When used in the description of construction materials, the R-value is the indicator of the material’s capacity to resist heat transfer from one side of the material to the other – in other words, the value represents the efficiency of the insulation provided by the material. As a general rule, the higher the R-value, the higher the efficiency of the insulation provided by the rated material.
Every material and every substance can be rated based on its resistance to heat transfer, air just as well as cement or fiberglass. The value usually becomes important when the materials are chosen for a construction project – whether it is a residential, commercial or industrial construction, the R-value of the materials chosen will determine how energy-efficient the building is from top to bottom, how much money the building owner will have to spend on heating and cooling the building and how large the building’s environmental footprint will be. The building materials and products for which the R-value is an important feature include wall and roof insulation, siding panels, flooring, doors and windows. Whatever the product type that you need, it is recommended by quality conscious Colorado Springs roofing companies to choose the material with the highest R-value to ensure that you maximize your building’s thermal efficiency.
Asphalt shingles are undoubtedly the most common and most popular materials used on pitched roofs throughout the nation and homeowners prefer the solution to many others for good reasons.
Here are some of the most important benefits of the option:
- Affordability – asphalt shingles come in various quality levels, but even high-end varieties are among the most affordable options;
- A wide range of designs – Credible Colorado Springs roofing companies assure us that asphalt shingles come in an extremely wide array of designs. While some varieties display a typical asphalt shingle look, others are made to replicate high-end materials, such as wood or slate. The color options available with asphalt shingles are also very wide, from traditional colors, such as shades of brown and grey or terracotta to unusual, modern hues, such bright red, blue or black;
- Suitability for various climates – while simple asphalt shingle varieties are recommended mostly for climate areas that are not prone to extreme events, such as hurricanes or strong hail, high-end shingle options can easily withstand harsh weather. There are options suitable even for homes in areas prone to storms and hail – impact resistant shingles are extensively tested among laboratory circumstances to ensure their suitability for regions frequently hit by large hail and the often get high winds.
When spring comes, it is time for cleaning not only inside the house and for your landscape, but for your roof, too. Esteemed Colorado Springs roofing companies affirm that spring roof maintenance is an essential task for ensuring that your roof is strong enough to withstand the heat, the strong UV radiation and the storms that usually accompany the summer months – here are the tasks involved:
- Roof cleaning – even the mildest winter leaves behind some debris on the roof surface and in the gutters. When removing all that dirt, start working at the top of the roof and progress towards the gutters. You can use a broom on a long stick or a garden hose, but stay away from the pressure washer, for the strong jet might damage the roof surface;
- Gutter cleaning – when the roof surface is clean, it is time for the gutters. Use a scraping tool to remove all the debris and dirt that can cause clogs and collect everything in a bucket to prevent the mess;
- Inspections – inspect your roof surface and the gutters to find any damage. Look for small signs as well and pay special attention to the sensitive areas, such as the flashing in the roof valleys;
- Repairs – the issues that you find need to be fixed right away.
If you are currently planning a large-scale roofing project, such as a partial or complete roof replacement, you surely want to make sure that you work with a reputable roofer, whose work is highly appreciated by previous clients. One of the best ways to find out about roofer reputation is to check the list of the Better Business Bureau website and to pick an A+ rated company.
Here are some things that you should know about BBB and their A+ rating:
- What the BBB is – BBB is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting market trust since 1912. They have two major areas of activity: rating the performance and the reliability of businesses based on a large set of criteria and the facilitation of resolution in the case of disputes;
- How BBB rates businesses – the BBB rating system uses categories marked with letters, A+ being the best rating and F being the worst. Colorado Springs roofing companies with an A+ rating (the rating that you should be looking for with your roofer) have obtained at least 97 points out of 100 during the BBB evaluation, which means that you can be confident that the services you receive will be the very best.
After a while, every roof needs replacement or at least some repairs. The roof’s health has a major impact on the safety of the people living under it and the building itself, so all defects or problems must be dealt with swiftly.
When you notice that the condition of your roof has become questionable, you must carry out a careful inspection, which will help you to decide whether the roof needs to be replaced, or some repairs will do. This inspection should be done by roofing specialists, who know what to look for, due to their technical knowledge and experience.
Most problems can be repaired if the damage is not too extensive, and the roof – not too old. Patching leaks and replacing broken tiles are common operations that must be done as soon as the problem occurs, precisely to prevent bigger damage that would require reroofing. However, when disaster strikes and a large area of the roof gets damaged, experienced Colorado Springs roofing companies confirm that patching repairs may be inefficient and, in this case, your roofer will recommend you a system replacement. If you will keep repairing an inefficient roof (because you WILL have to repair it very often!), you`ll end up paying more than for replacing it, not to mention the discomfort you will experience, poor energy efficiency etc.
Reroofing is also recommended when the roof is old.
If you have found a home that seems suitable for your needs and requirements, you have the right to have many types of inspections performed by professionals to ensure that the systems and components of the property are in the condition that the seller says they are.
There are many reasons why home inspections are highly recommended before committing to the purchase – here are some:
- Peace of mind – buying a home is a huge investment and a huge responsibility. A home inspection performed by an expert can ensure that your new home is safe and solid or it can reveal hidden faults that you should know about to be able to make an informed final decision;
- Giving you a better negotiation position – the home inspection might reveal issues that you might consider easy to solve, but that can give you arguments to lower the buying price. For example, if the inspection reveals a minor roofing issue and you know of good Colorado Springs roofing companies that can fix it, you can negotiate a better price knowing that the problem can be solved easily;
- Forecasting future expenses – the home inspection might reveal issues that are not yet serious, but need to be addressed soon. Knowing what you will need to repair on your new home soon will help you prepare for the related expenses and to be prepared for the unexpected.
When it comes to metal roofing, copper is one of the materials that can be used. A copper roof is bold and shiny and comes to be chosen due to its particularly beautiful aspect.
For centuries, copper roofs have covered the most famous architectural masterpieces in Europe. If you decide to choose this roofing solution, you should know that its value will not decrease, which means that you will never lose your investment. Also, a copper roof is recyclable.
With a copper roof, maintenance and repairs are almost non-existent. You probably know from personal experience or have heard from others that roof maintenance and repairs can be time consuming, frustrating and expensive, at least in the case of certain types of roofs. With copper roofs you will not have such hassles. In addition, in demand Colorado Springs roofing companies confirmed that such a roof will withstand even the most severe weather conditions, year after year; it will not catch fire, rust, corrode, nor require additional coating and repainting.
The only disadvantage of a copper roof is its price. The costs will be quite high, but this is only a relative disadvantage: the money will be recovered due to the durability of the roof and the savings in terms of maintenance and repairs.
Contemporary buildings are more than just bricks and mortar. Today’s designers and builders can choose from a wide range of energy-efficient materials to create buildings that combine interior comfort with low energy consumption costs and low environmental impact. This also applies to roofs.
The roofs receive solar energy every minute, which is why you must also consider purchasing an energy efficient roof. In this regard, you must consider the following aspects: materials, colors, insulation and ventilation.
The most energy efficient roofing materials installed by Colorado Springs roofing companies are natural materials such as ceramic tiles and wood shingles, but we can also add metal shingles and we are going to explain why. But let`s take them one at a time.
Ceramic tiles are made of natural ingredients, being a mix of earth, water and fire. This type of roof provides natural insulation, which means that it maintains indoor temperature constant, in any season, reducing both heating and cooling costs.
Wood shingles and shakes
Wood is another natural material excellent when it comes to thermal insulation properties. A wooden roof can keep the heat in during the cold season and also acts as a barrier against the sun, preventing the house from getting too hot in the summer. It also has great humidity and moisture control properties that contribute to the overall energy efficiency.
Metal roofing is energy efficient especially in warm and sunny climates, due to its natural reflective properties. A metal roof reflects the sun rays, so it does not absorb the heat – which can significantly reduce the cooling costs.