The snow must definitely be removed from commercial roofs! When snow accumulates in large quantities on the roof, it can cause different problems, even to the resistance structure. Icicles formed on gutters and water infiltration is other inconveniences that you may experience if you do not clean the snow on time from your roof.
In the case of commercial buildings with flat roofs, it is recommended to turn to professional roof cleaning services, because the task requires a very large volume of work, and snow and ice can make the surface slippery and dangerous to stand on.
Besides hiring specialized Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors to remove the snow from your commercial roof, you must also make sure that your roof is properly insulated. A flat roof does not have a typical attic, so the heat rising from indoors can warm it up quickly, melting the snow, which is likely to refreeze and become ice.
Flat roofs are more susceptible to water leaks throughout the winter, precisely because of snow accumulations that melt slowly and maintain moisture on the roof for a long time. Additionally, it favors ice build-up in the drainage system, clogging it.
Additionally, when it snows heavily, do not underestimate the pressure put by snow on the structure of the roof!
Commercial and residential roofs fulfill very similar roles – they both provide the building underneath protection from the elements and they both ensure the thermal balances of the rooms on the building, to mention just the two most important functionalities. However, the requirements towards commercial roofs can be quite different from the expectations that residential roofing systems need to meet. Here are some specific roles for commercial roofs:
- Increased strength – unlike residential buildings, many commercial facilities need roofs that can be safely stepped on and walked on, therefore their support structures need to provide more stability and strength;
- Resistance to chemical spills – many commercial roofs need to be able to resist to chemicals, such as oils and acids, therefore they are made from special materials that provide that kind of resistance;
- Larger surfaces – commercial facilities are usually larger than residential buildings, therefore the roofing designs and materials they use need to be able for cater to that requirement, too;
- Efficient drainage – while the ability to shed water is important for both residential and commercial roofs, the roofs used on commercial buildings are usually flat structures that don’t get the extra help from the roof pitch that residential roofs get. This also means that the drainage system attached to commercial roofs needs to be installed by Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors in a way to manage the increased workload.
Practiced Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors will tell you that the right time to buy a new roof depends on the problems you experience with the old roof, your budget and also your preferences, because you can purchase a new roof for different reasons:
- Your existing roof is too old and not reliable anymore
- You want a new roof to have peace of mind when it comes to your safety and the money you spend
- You want a better product above your business, more suitable for the local climate or made from a material that requires less maintenance
- You do not know when the old roof was installed and you want to prevent experiencing a roof failure
- It just looks old and worn, and you are doing preventive maintenance on your home.
There are also some potential signs indicating that the right time to buy a new roof has come:
- Shingles are worn out and damaged (tabs are cupped, edges are curled etc.)
- There are visible signs of aging 3-tab asphalt shingles
- Your neighbors are getting new roofs and, in this context, your old roof will lower the value of your property
Just make sure that you take some time to plan the roof replacement project, as it is complex, involves different operations as well as a significant budget.
If you have a roof leak, the decision to repair it or replace the roof altogether depends on the overall condition of the roof and its age.
A new roof with a minor problem that allowed a bit of rain water to sweep in can and should be repaired; on the other hand, a roof that reached the end of its lifespan already, or is damaged beyond efficient repair, should be replaced, to avoid a potential disaster.
It is important to look for some important signs in order to know when it is time to make a plan for the replacement of your roof. Roof replacement Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors can assess your home or business.
- The appearance of cracks – a wrong installation of the roof can lead to the appearance of cracks that allow water infiltration to affect the structure of the roof, weakening it more and more and degrading it.
- Corrosion – in the case of a metal roof, inferior quality of the materials as well as lack of ventilation and protection will allow corrosion. In this case, the metal will lose progressively its qualities and properties, which will lead inevitably to a rapid deterioration of the roof.
- Using roofing materials unsuitable for a particular geographical area
- Failure to follow installation recommendations – an inexperienced installer can irreparably damage a roof system
- Improperly waterproofing
You can expect a common roof to reach its lifespan after about 20 years. The perspective of a replacement may seem intimidating, because it is a complex project and it also requires a large financial investment, that`s why you must start planning in advance and be prepared when the time comes.
Luckily, there are also ways to save money on a roof replacement and instead of paying $20,000, which represents a midrange roof replacement, you can pay only up to $10,000.
The first thing you should consider is the fact that the price for a roof replacement varies greatly, depending on the materials you choose and the area of your roof. Obviously, there is nothing you can do about shrinking your roof area, but you can opt for cost effective roofing materials. The most expensive materials are also the most durable, but if you are on a budget, you can opt for the best price-quality ratio, which can be found in products such as asphalt shingles.
Another way to save money on your roof replacement is to shop around for affordable Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors. Be wary of very low bids, but take into account reliable local contractors who offer discounts and quality services.
You should schedule your roof replacement for late winter or early spring, as contractors are not so busy in this time of the year and are willing to make special offers to attract clients.
When it comes to roofing, tar and gravel roofs don’t always receive the kind of recognition they deserve. In many cases roofing experts and building owners talk about choices such as bitumen and EPDM roofing, as well as metal panel and solar panel roofing choices for promoting either durability or energy efficiency. However, lower cost choices such as asphalt and gravel are typically quite underrated.
Tar and gravel roofing is one of these underrated types of roofing, and many reputable Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors feel that company owners in search of a robust and affordable roofing system should know more about them. Tar and gravel roofs usually consist of 3-5 layers of laminated asphalt combined with hot tar, roofing felt, and gravel used to cover the darker sheets. The gravel has the role of weighing down the roofing materials, ensuring that they are durable enough, and protecting them against UV radiation.
In warmer areas, where sunlight is abundant, tar and gravel roofing is considered to be an excellent choice for insulating and protecting the roof and building against excessive UV rays and ensuring that building owners can also save a considerable amount of money on electricity and gas. If you choose tar and gravel roofing, your roof will last longer, and your long term expenses will also be significantly reduced.
On the market, there is a wide variety of materials for commercial roofs. When you choose one, you have to consider the structure of the building and other factors, like climatic conditions, and or if its surface will be exposed to high foot traffic. This is why it is important to choose qualitative roofing products.
- TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin), PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), and EPDM Roofing (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) are incredibly robust and flexible materials. These are resistant to cracking and peeling caused by humidity or heat and are designed to be installed in a single layer. These materials are most commonly used in low slope roofs.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems are made from a combination between asphalt and a chemical polymer. This material is applied in multiple layers and it is very resistant to high or low temperatures, and to wind, hail or fire.
- Roof Coating Systems are made from acrylic and silicone. This fluid-applied membrane is a coating metal roofs, protecting it against leaks. This way, it prolongs the life of a commercial roof.
- Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Panels and green roofs absorb natural sunlight and help to reduce energy costs. Both of them can help with long-term cost savings.
Trusted Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors will discuss the best roofing materials for your building and budget.
For those who do not know, GAF is the largest manufacturer of roofing products in the U.S. and has been in business – almost incredibly! – for more than 125 years. Obviously, this company is committed to quality in their products and in contractors they certify to install their products.
To receive the GAF certification, a company has to go through training and a certification process, to prove that it meets the stringent GAF standards. Only a few companies are able to meet the qualifications, once they prove they have proper licensing, full insurance for customer`s protection and a stellar reputation. Besides, GAF certification must be renewed each 12 months, because GAF wants to be sure that the company they allow to install their products maintains the required standards.
If you have your roof installed by GAF Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors and using exclusively GAF products, you can get the Golden Pledge warranty, which is really the best warranty you can get for your roof. Additionally, you get peace of mind for having the best possible roof above your head, as well as for being protected from liability.
If you are looking for a GAF factory certified contractor, just check the GAF website. Hire with confidence — the GAF contractor you choose is among the very best you can get.
As a commercial business owner, you probably know that after a severe storm that caused roof damage, you get many visits from roofing contractors that show up at the right time, trying to convince you to sign a contract with them, because they have the best solutions for your problem. As tempting as their offers may seem, you should not fall for them.
Reputable Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors do not travel from door to door, because they are established businesses, with a good local reputation. So, those people who show up after a severe weather phenomenon is likely to be scams and they simply look to take advantage of people in distress, and the services they provide are typically sub-mediocre. Besides, you will not see these people stand behind their work; they will take the money and disappear.
Make sure you always ask for license and a business card with a legitimate address and phone number. Also ask for a written estimate and make sure to take time to study it carefully. Roofing scams are known for handing contracts with blanks that people sign only because they are too stressed out to check them carefully and want their roof fixed as soon as possible.
Flat roofs are considered to be unique, diverse and allow for many creative options. Diversity has two aspects: one regarding almost all design possibilities and the other with specific requirements for thermal insulation and waterproofing.
The flat roof structure is multi-layered and includes the following elements:
- flat base
- vapor barrier
- insulation layer
- waterproofing protection (cover)
The base of a roof is usually made from reinforced concrete slabs or beam structures made of metal profiles. The composition of the roof as well as its manufacture technology depends on the type of base it has been constructed.
The vapor barrier is usually made of plastic foil, designed to prevent air vapors to rise from the living space and affect the thermal protection layer of the roof.
The covering materials represent the construction elements installed at the top, having the role to protect the entire construction against weather and water infiltrations, while contributing to the energy efficiency of the building. Traditional coverings are made of bituminous or sheet laminate materials. Modern materials include special synthetic membranes, which are more efficient, durable and easy to apply. In some cases, a flat roof can also be covered with metallic sheets. Allow top rated Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors to give you more information about the flat roof process.