Roof maintenance must be done in any season. Although it is assumed that before the arrival of the cold season you have prepared the roof for severe weather, during winter you have to make sure the roof remains fully functional, despite potentially massive snowfall, strong wind, frost etc.
Here’s what you need to look out during the winter.
Have Denver roofing companies perform visual checks of the roof cover and make sure there are no water leaks in the attic. Snow, as well as freezing and thawing can aggravate roof vulnerabilities that have not been identified so far and you will certainly not want them to get worse. If you notice signs of moisture, call a Denver roofing specialist immediately.
Check the pluvial system. The water resulting from the melting of snow must be evacuated as far as possible from the facade of the building, so gutters and downspouts must be functional. Sometimes the weight of snow or ice accumulated in the drainage system can cause damage, so it is good to keep an eye on it.
Last but not least, check the attic windows. They are just as exposed to environmental factors as the roof. In this regard, make sure that the area around the windows is clean and that there is no problem with the closure or the sealing frame. Do not forget to check the insulation around the attic windows because this area has the greatest heat loss potential, during the cold season.
A poorly installed roof or poor quality materials can cause countless problems and ultimately make the roof useless. A roof through which water found its way can become a disaster for the entire building if the owner ignores proper routine maintenance.
The roof is the most vulnerable when it comes to water infiltrations. Once the water finds its way in, it will be very difficult to stop, and the issue will not solve by itself, on the contrary: it will get worse by the day.
If the roof leak is not extensive and water does not penetrate the ceiling, you may not notice it right away, but you can still realize that something is wrong. You will likely start to experience moisture problems in the house. There will be an unhealthy environment that may cause allergic reactions and you may notice mold development. In some cases, water leaks may also hurt the electrical system. Save yourself the unwanted extra expense and hassle and call Interstate Roofing as soon as you notice a roof leak. Get it fixed immediately.
If you ignore a roof leak, you will notice an increase in your utility costs, because the insulation will be likely water clogged and it will no longer prevent heat loss. Not least, water causes rot in various materials in the roof`s structure, weakening its integrity. When the roof breaks down, the entire structure of the building is at risk. In this case, you do not want to know how expensive the repair bill is going to be.
It is recommended that you prepare your roof before the cold season, which guarantees that you will have a quiet, comfortable winter. You do not necessarily have to call a Denver roofing specialist; there are a few things you can do yourself in order to determine if your roof is adequate shape to withstand the cold season.
Check the coat
You need to look for loose, broken or missing shingles; if you notice such problems, replace the shingles immediately. If your roof is very old, it is advisable to call a specialist who will decide whether a damaged roof coat should be repaired or the roof must be replaced altogether.
Clean the gutters
Another thing you need to do before winter is to clean the drainage system – gutters and downspouts. Remove dried leaves, twigs and any other debris and use a hose to send water through the drainage system and see if it works properly. If necessary, have Denver roofing companies add drain tube extensions to send melting ice and snow as far from the foundation of your home as possible.
Identify possible leaks
Check the attic, and the ceilings for water stains. If you find suspect areas, check them again after a rain. If they are wet, call a professional to repair the leak as soon as possible.
Insulate the attic
Add extra insulation to the attic, to prevent the formation of ice on the roof.
Persistent unfavorable weather is one of the main causes of roof damage. Fortunately, there are a number of simple operations designed to protect the roof in the fall.
Roofing professionals suggest that inspections should be done before and after the cold season, to make sure that the roof is not damaged and can withstand weather conditions. It is recommended to increase the frequency of inspections once every four months, if you live in a rainy area, surrounded by trees.
Trees are one of the greatest hazards to roofs, especially in autumn – winter. During particularly strong storms, tree branches may break and fall on the roof, causing significant damage. Leaves, cones, small twigs and hard nuts can also cause many problems. If they are not cleaned, they can rot, causing the roof to disintegrate faster than it should.
The rainy season represents the biggest threat to a roof. A well-maintained roof inspected by Fort Collins roofing company reps can withstand severe precipitations, but if it is not maintained regularly, insulated and ventilated, the autumn weather will accelerate the process of decomposition. So take care of these issues before the beginning of the autumn.
If you live in a humid area, you have probably already seen dark or otherwise discolored streaks or patches on your roof – a roofing problem that is very common is areas where the humidity in the air reaches prolonged high levels. The problem can affect almost any type of roofing, clay and cement tile roofs as well as asphalt and wood shingles and it can cause very severe damage in a very short time, so it is very important to understand the causes and to know the remedy.
Most forms of roof mold are caused by mold spores that travel in the air and settle on roofs that are already damp and exposed to very small amounts of sunlight. Limited exposure to light can be caused not only by large trees above the roof, but by the debris that accumulates on the roof over time – the dust, dirt, dry leaves, twig and other detritus carried by the wind absorbs moisture and keeps it in, preventing the roof to dry properly after rainy period and creating an environment for the proliferation of mold.
Roof mold is both unattractive and dangerous, but the good news is that it is easy to get rid of. Thorough roof cleaning and the repeated application of a mold-removal substance can usually help Colorado Springs roofing company techs restore the roof to its original state and with a little bit of attention and maintenance, you can keep your roof permanently mold-free.
However uncomfortable and costly they are, roofing emergencies happen all the time, even to well-maintained, properly cared-for roofs. Emergencies are even more annoying in apartment buildings, so here are a few measures that property managers can use to prepare for unexpected roofing issues:
- Make sure the roof is regularly inspected and maintained – Colorado Springs commercial roofing maintenance is the best way to strengthen the roof and to make it as resistant as possible to extreme weather;
- Get large trees around the property trimmed to prevent any damage caused to the roof by falling branches;
- Always be ready to mitigate the damage – if a storm hits in the middle of the night and it devastates the roof on the property that you are in charge of, the only thing you can do is to locate the leak and to place drop cloths and buckets underneath the leak to prevent further damage;
- Work with roofing specialists that provide emergency services – find Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors who handle emergencies and make sure you include the conditions of using those services into a contract, too. Get the roofer’s number on speed dial and call him whenever a large storm is announced to make sure he is available in case you need his emergency repair services.
Summer comes not only with great weather – it is also a season when roof-devastating storms become more frequent and roof repair scammers try to take advantage of the situation. According to an honest Fort Collins roofer, here are a few signs that the roofer who has just offered you his cheap and rapid services is a scammer or that he is not quite the expert he says he is:
- Unsolicited offers – if you are approached by a roofer who says that he and his team have just finished a roofing job in the neighborhood and they have some leftover materials, so they can do a good and very, very cheap job on your roof, you can start being suspicious. The scammer will probably ask you for a small sum of money to go to the nearby store to buy some more materials for your roof – if you give him the money, you will probably never see the guy and the money again;
- Never pay for a roofing job upfront – legitimate, reputable roofers never ask for any down payment before the job is completed;
- Never allow anyone to work on your roof without having signed a contract first – verbal agreements are just not good enough, you need a written agreement signed by a legit service provider that has an identifiable, registered business address.
Hiring a roofer is no easy task for property managers, so if you are currently research local roofers, here are a few tips to help you:
- Look for experienced contractors – you need a contractor who has long and verifiable experience with the type of roofing job that you need to get done;
- Look for contractors that operate a local office – you should not consider roofers who don’t have a physical office where you can visit them – the lack of headquarters might indicate a problem;
- Get multiple quotes – whatever type of roofing job you need a contractor for, obtain at least three or for quotes before you make the final decision. Evaluate the quotes in terms of labor costs, material costs, the quality of the materials proposed, warranty on the materials and the labor and completion deadlines;
- Find out about licensing and insurance – preferred commercial roof repair Fort Collins contractors need to be properly licensed, bonded and insured, so make sure you request proof of that before even considering a roofer;
- References and reputation – request potential roofing contractors to provide references and take the time to check them, too – previous clients can provide lots of useful information about the quality of the work and the reliability of the roofer that you are planning to hire.
If you are the owner of an apartment complex or you are the property manager in charge of commercial roofing Denver CO property maintenance, here are a few tips to make your job easier when it comes to roof maintenance:
- Schedule regular inspections – prevention is the best way to avoid roof damage and costly repair, so hire a professional roofing team to inspect the roof on the property twice a year and to fix any issues they find. Regularly inspected roofs usually develop only minor problems that are quick and easy to fix;
- Get overhanging tree branches cut off – buildings surrounded by large trees are friendlier and more attractive, but large, overhanging branches that can be torn off by a storm and get dropped on the roof pose serious dangers. Get the trees around the building trimmed to avoid such risks;
- Seal off pipe boots – improperly sealing pipe boots are the most common cause of roof leaks, so make sure the rubber rings around the pipes are intact and free from rust;
- Get the edges sealed – both flat and sloping roofs need metal sealing around the edges to prevent water from seeping through. Ask your roofing team to pay special attention to these edges while they are performing regular maintenance.
If you live in a house that is not getting leaks and has a roof that seems stable and intact, but you are still wondering whether your roof is water-proof, here are a few methods to test it:
- Inspect the roof or get it inspected by an expert Fort Collins roofer – make sure that every inch of the roof is checked for cracks or damaged components. Pay special attention to the sensitive, leak-prone areas, such as the roof valleys and the flashing;
- Water the roof – grab your garden hose on a sunny day and apply a steady stream of water on the roof for a few minutes, paying attention to spray it, rather than apply it in a strong jet to avoid causing any damage, then go to the attic and check the attic space and the underside of the plywood for any water that the roof allowed to seep through – if there is no water in the attic, your roof is intact;
- Hire a roof moisture survey Fort Collins roofing company expert – these services are usually available only in large cities and they are quite expensive, too, but it is the most advanced method used for pinpointing problem areas. The testing is non-invasive and it uses either infrared or nuclear scanning devices.