If you’re tired of that old shingle roof of yours and are considering converting to a tile roof, the first step is to find a reliable local roofer, like Interstate Roofing at https://www.interstateroof.com/, and ask for advice and accurate estimates, just to ensure that you make an informed choice and that there will be no unexpected “surprises” along the way.
Tile roofs are very durable and provide significant advantages, so they are a good choice in general. They are resistant to UV rays and direct sun exposure, they do not rot, nor do they succumb to fire. A tile roof is also heavy enough to withstand strong winds without coming loose and fly away – as shingles do sometimes…
Tile roofing is also one of the most attractive options and it will last up to 50 years, so if you are lucky, you will have to worry about a ,tile roof installation only once in your lifetime.
However, there are a few important aspects that must be taken into account when you convert fro shingles too tiles.
- Tiles are heavier and your home’s structure might need an upgrade to be able to support such a roof
- Tiles are also more expensive upfront.
Over time, the UV rays from the sun will break down the elements in even the highest quality roofing materials. It can cause untreated wood surfaces to come apart, turn black or fade to white. Shingles damaged by wind or storms can start buckling and their protection become ineffective – opening the gate to further damage.
It is good to know that the roof is exposed to UV light even on cloudy days.
The sun’s intensity also beats down on a roof every day. It has a huge impact especially during the summer daylight hours. The temperatures on a roof`s surface can reach more than 150° when the air temperature is around 90°.
Daily exposure to extreme heat makes ultraviolet rays even more damaging and your home will become vulnerable.
What can you do about it?
First of all, specialized Denver roofing companies will tell you to inspect your roof and look for signs indicating sun damage: decaying, warped or cracked materials must not be overlooked, because they open up ways for moisture and more severe problems.
If the roof is not too old, you can consider a renovation; it will help you postpone a replacement project. However, if the damage is extensive and the roof is close to reach the end of it lifespan, you should start planning a replacement and look for solutions that will protect your new roof from sun damage (cool roof technologies, reflective coatings, reflective roofing materials…).
The first step you need to take when you want to buy a roof for your business is to look for a roofing company from which to request an offer. There are many commercial roofers in Fort Collins and you can make a preliminary list by searching on the internet. After that, you will need to evaluate a few commercial roofers in order to make the best final choice.
Always look for local licensed commercial roof repair Fort Collins contractors. If you cannot check the license of a roofing company, you should remove it from your list; no need for other reasons.
Make sure the company has a good local reputation and many commercial roofing projects finished in your region.
Orient yourself towards the best quality/ price ratio. It is very important to benefit from a good price for the purchase of a new commercial roof. However, you should not opt for the lowest price you can find, because a very low price doesn`t necessary mean a great discount, but rather low quality materials and/ or services.
Try to find the roofing company that offers you the best value for your money. You will achieve this by making an analysis of market prices and comparing the technical characteristics of the materials.
Inspecting the roof once you buy a building is of utmost importance, because you must make sure that the building is protected and the roof has no hidden problems or vulnerabilities that may impact your comfort and peace of mind.
So, you must start by finding a reliable Denver contractor and schedule an in-depth inspection.
The commercial roofing Denver CO inspection specialist will do the following operations:
- Closely examining records and talking to other building’s occupants, in order to find information on leaks or other problems they can remember about, which will help them to assess the condition of the roof, as accurately as possible.
- Carefully inspecting the roof’s interior system.
- Inspecting the building envelope.
- Inspecting the rooftop (based on the information from the original plans and specifications), which will include a general look-over, followed by marking the identified damage.
- Inspecting the roof perimeter and the roof field (most leaks occur on the roof perimeter -base and counter flashings, gutters, roof penetrations etc.)
- Identifying signs of poor roof design, construction or installation
- Filling a report, detailing the problems that have been found. The report will also include options for fixing the problems.
As your commercial building gets older and older, it will become weaker, the provided protection will be less effective and you will put yourself and your business to different risks that may turn to be more expensive than you have anticipated.
Replacing a commercial roof is expensive and nobody is eager to go through such a project, but it must not be postponed for too long, on the contrary: you should start making the preparation before the roof reached the end of its lifespan.
Credible Fort Collins commercial roofing businesses confirm that the best reasons to redo your commercial roof include:
- Staying up to local building codes and requirements and thus avoid legal issues
- Improving the roof`s structure and insulation, to get better protection and energy efficiency
- Saving money (although redoing your commercial roof requires a certain upfront investment, you will recover your money soon enough, by saving on repairs, maintenance and energy consumption)
- Redoing your commercial roof is a smart decision because it will also increase the life cycle of your roof and improve the structure of the building. No roof is installed without performing a structure checkup, to ensure that it is in good condition and able to support the roof.
If your roof has sustained storm damage, you need a roofing expert by your side. Your contractor can help you not only mitigate the damage and repair or replace your roof – roofers also have experience with the insurance claim process. Here is how your Denver roofer can help you with your claim:
- Damage documentation – one of the most important things to have in successful claim document is evidence of the damage. Your roofer can help you record images and shoot footage of the damage sustained by your roof as well as of the measures implemented to handle the damage;
- Help with the file – your Denver roofer can help you fill in your insurer’s damage claim form and submit your claim correctly;
- Cost estimates – roofing experts also know how to prepare repair cost estimates in a way that complies with the insurer’s requirements;
- Negotiations with the insurer’s adjuster – after receiving your claim file, your insurer will send their own damage assessment expert called an adjuster, then they will inform you about the amount they are willing to pay. If you are not happy with that offer, your roofer can help you obtain a higher amount by supporting you during the negotiations with the insurer.
Roof cleaning is one of the most important roof maintenance tasks, essential for preserving the health of your roof as well as for prolonging its life. Here are some tips from the professionals at Interstate Roofing.
- Get a sturdy ladder and proper safety gear – check the ladder, place it on even, hard soil and anchor it to the roof edge. Put on comfortable, not too loose work clothes, non-slip work boots, a safety helmet and work gloves;
- Get a broom or a brush on a long stick and swipe any debris off the roof – you will probably find lots of dust, dries leaves, twigs, animal dropping, nuts and other forms of debris. Make sure to remove them all with gentle, but firm movements;
- Get a brush and scraper and clean the gutters – having clean, healthy gutters is essential for any type of roof. Grab your tools and climb up on the ladder to inspect and to clean every inch of the gutter pipes and the downspouts, removing any clog and debris that you find. While you are at it, inspect the pipes for any damage, such as cracks, holes, rust or sagging and also inspect the fasteners, then address the damage you noticed in the pipes and replace or repair any damaged fasteners.
Roofs, whether installed on residential or commercial property, whether flat or sloping, need maintenance. Here are some roof maintenance tasks that can be safely and easily performed by DIY enthusiasts:
- Roof cleaning – any debris that accumulates on the surface of your roof absorbs water and weakens the roof underneath, therefore it is very important to remove any dust, leaves, twigs and other dirt. You can do it easily with a broom or a brush on a long stick;
- Gutter and downspout cleaning – the clogs that form in these pipes prevent the drainage of the roof and prolonged exposure to ponding water weakens and damage any roofing material. The task is simple: all you need is a sturdy ladder, a scraping tool to dislodge the clogs and a bucket to collect the debris removed;
- Trim the trees that have branches above your roof – the branches that overhang your roof can be broken by wind and dropped onto the roof, so inspect your large trees regularly and trim them to a shape that is safe for your roof;
- Check the attic for holes in the roof and for traces of water – small roof leaks don’t cause damp patches on your ceilings, but they should not be neglected. Visit your attic every now and then and look upwards – if you see the sky through the roof, it means that it is time to call a seasoned Fort Collins roofer to repair as needed. Excessive dampness, droplets of water or traces of water on the attic floor also indicate a roofing issue that needs to be addressed by a professional roofer in a timely manner.
Cement roof tiles are made from water, sand and cement to which pigments are added – the resulting products are highly resistant roofing materials that come in many styles and can provide protection that lasts for at least a century.
Here are more details about the benefits of concrete tiles:
- Durability among any climate circumstances – concrete tiles are impervious to water and fire, they are not attractive for pests and they can stand up to almost any weather, including rain, high winds, snow and strong UV radiation;
- A wide range of colors, shapes and textures – cement tiles come in a seemingly endless variety of styles. While in the past, matte, terracotta tiles were the most common, today you can easily find tiles in unusual colors, such as white, cream and black and high-shine or satin textures are also available;
- Low maintenance and easy repairs – Local Denver roofing companies confirm that cement tiles need to be cleaned and inspected at least once a year, but they don’t need any special maintenance. Repairing cement roofs is also easy – whatever weather comes along, it will probably damage only a couple of your tiles, so all you will have to do is to grab a few of your spare tiles and slip them into the place of the damaged ones.
High winds are among the most devastating forces of nature, responsible for destroying and severely damaging thousands of roofs each year. If you live in a high-wind region and you are looking for a roofing material that can stand up to strong winds, here are some great options for you:
- Fiberglass shingles – when installed properly, these modern materials can withstand very strong winds and storms. If you pick this solution, inform your roofer that you would like to ensure superior wind-resistance – the detail is important for your roofer, the contractor might decide to choose special fasteners or more nails for more secure fastening;
- Metal roofing – when installed properly, using the right fastening solutions, Fort Collins roofing company spokespersons say metal roofs are one of the most resistant materials and the best choice for windy regions;
- Clay and cement tiles – these heavy and durable materials offer superior thermal insulation, therefore they are great for hot climate areas as well as for regions that get extremely cold winters, while their weight and the fastening solutions used for the installation also makes sure that your tiles will stand up even to the highest winds. Tile systems also have the advantage of being composed of smaller components, so even if the wind is so strong that it causes damage in your roof, the damage is likely to be limited to just a few tiles.