The R-value indicated in the specifications attached to insulation materials indicates the material’s resistance to conductive heat flow, that is, the material’s ability to prevent thermal exchange between two spaces. The higher the R-value indicated on a product, the more effective the product is in terms of insulation capacity.
When making decisions about the insulation materials to be installed in your home, you need to look at the R-value of the product you want to choose and you also need to consider aspects related to thickness and location. The R-value of a material can be increased by increasing the thickness and its efficiency will be reduced by any compaction. You must also be aware that the overall R-value of the insulated space will be lower than the R-value of the insulation material because heat flows more readily through exposed studs and joints. The best way to maximize the R-value of your insulated space is to consider combining insulation materials – for example, you can use an insulation blanket on your attic floor and puck a different solution for your attic walls, such as foam insulation.
To be able to make the most of your investment into home insulation, the R-value needed must be calculated carefully, based on climate features and building properties. You can turn to your designated Colorado Springs roofing company for advice and help with the calculation process as well as for consultation regarding your options.
Thermoplastic olefin, also known as TPO, is a type of popular, single-ply roofing material used on flat or low-sloping roofs on commercial or industrial buildings.
Here are some features that you should know about before you choose the material for your new roof:
- Structure, size and installation – TPO comes in white sheets comprised from three layers, a TPO base layer, a fabric core and another TPO layer on the top. TPO sheets come in two sizes: the sheets intended for commercial use are 0.080 inch thick and 3 feet or 12 feet wide and the sheets intended for residential applications that are 0.045 or 0.060 inch thick and 6.5 feet wide. The sheets are either fastened with adhesives to the roof cover board or are fastened mechanically;
- Color options – TPO sheets are available in white, grey or black;
- Benefits – TPO membranes are very affordable and they require very little maintenance. The sheets are very flexible, therefore resistant to tearing and punctures; they are resistant even to the strongest UV radiations as well as to the exposure to chemicals and they enhance the building’s overall energy-efficiency, thus contributing to reducing energy needs. In terms of durability, TPO roofs can last for up to 30 years.
For additional information about flat roofing materials, give leading Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors a call for expert consultation. You can trust them to provide you with the best information you need to make informed decisions regarding your commercial property.
When it comes to metal roofing, copper is one of the materials that can be used. A copper roof is bold and shiny and comes to be chosen due to its particularly beautiful aspect.
For centuries, copper roofs have covered the most famous architectural masterpieces in Europe. If you decide to choose this roofing solution, you should know that its value will not decrease, which means that you will never lose your investment. Also, a copper roof is recyclable.
With a copper roof, maintenance and repairs are almost non-existent. You probably know from personal experience or have heard from others that roof maintenance and repairs can be time consuming, frustrating and expensive, at least in the case of certain types of roofs. With copper roofs you will not have such hassles. In addition, in demand Colorado Springs roofing companies confirmed that such a roof will withstand even the most severe weather conditions, year after year; it will not catch fire, rust, corrode, nor require additional coating and repainting.
The only disadvantage of a copper roof is its price. The costs will be quite high, but this is only a relative disadvantage: the money will be recovered due to the durability of the roof and the savings in terms of maintenance and repairs.
Considering that almost all the planet’s resources are declining significantly from one day to the next, everyone’s attention is shifting towards renewable alternatives, environmentally friendly solutions that people can use without creating more problems or risks.
A trusted rep for a Colorado Springs roofing company tells us that solar panels are among the main options, and more and more people are starting to invest in them.
There are two main types of residential solar panels:
Photovoltaic solar panels
Photovoltaic solar panels are composed of solar cells and convert solar energy directly into electricity. Certain materials can be used to produce electricity when exposed to sunlight, and this property is known as the photovoltaic effect. Solar panels use this property to convert light energy into electricity. Furthermore, an inverter converts it into alternating current that you can use in your home. Excess electricity can be stored separately, in a storage battery, and you can use it later, for example, at night.
Solar thermal panels
They are also known as collectors or heat collectors. Unlike photovoltaic panels, solar thermal panels capture solar energy and transform it into thermal energy, water being the main heating agent. Solar thermal panels can provide only 60-80% of the hot water requirements in winter, but in summer the percent can reach 100%.
Contemporary buildings are more than just bricks and mortar. Today’s designers and builders can choose from a wide range of energy-efficient materials to create buildings that combine interior comfort with low energy consumption costs and low environmental impact. This also applies to roofs.
The roofs receive solar energy every minute, which is why you must also consider purchasing an energy efficient roof. In this regard, you must consider the following aspects: materials, colors, insulation and ventilation.
The most energy efficient roofing materials installed by Colorado Springs roofing companies are natural materials such as ceramic tiles and wood shingles, but we can also add metal shingles and we are going to explain why. But let`s take them one at a time.
Ceramic tiles are made of natural ingredients, being a mix of earth, water and fire. This type of roof provides natural insulation, which means that it maintains indoor temperature constant, in any season, reducing both heating and cooling costs.
Wood shingles and shakes
Wood is another natural material excellent when it comes to thermal insulation properties. A wooden roof can keep the heat in during the cold season and also acts as a barrier against the sun, preventing the house from getting too hot in the summer. It also has great humidity and moisture control properties that contribute to the overall energy efficiency.
Metal roofing is energy efficient especially in warm and sunny climates, due to its natural reflective properties. A metal roof reflects the sun rays, so it does not absorb the heat – which can significantly reduce the cooling costs.
Most commercial roofs are flat and designed by respecting the type of structure, thermal insulation – waterproofing technology and the operating conditions depending on each roof. These factors determine the life span of the roof.
Currently, the best material for a commercial roof is considered the EPDM membrane.
EPDM rubber products for construction were developed in the late 1950s. The climate in the Middle East required a roofing material able to withstand it. The material had to be very flexible and remain stable even in temperatures variations between -45 and + 120 °C. EPDM rubber proved to be a very suitable product for this market.
Ethylene Propylene Dien Monomer is a synthetic rubber, very resistant to UV, ozone and other atmospheric influences. In addition, it is known for its great, permanent flexibility. The material has proved its efficiency for more than 50 years, and is used by commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO flat roofing specialists as a waterproofing material for flat roofs and other architectural or non-architectural applications.
The characteristics of natural rubber could not be adapted or manipulated. However, with a synthetic rubber product, scientists can select, adapt and modify the basic products to determine the molecular structure, thus allowing them to design the construction of polymers. The result allows EPDM synthetic rubber to adapt precisely to its specific uses and requirements.
The snow must definitely be removed from commercial roofs! When snow accumulates in large quantities on the roof, it can cause different problems, even to the resistance structure. Icicles formed on gutters and water infiltration is other inconveniences that you may experience if you do not clean the snow on time from your roof.
In the case of commercial buildings with flat roofs, it is recommended to turn to professional roof cleaning services, because the task requires a very large volume of work, and snow and ice can make the surface slippery and dangerous to stand on.
Besides hiring specialized Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors to remove the snow from your commercial roof, you must also make sure that your roof is properly insulated. A flat roof does not have a typical attic, so the heat rising from indoors can warm it up quickly, melting the snow, which is likely to refreeze and become ice.
Flat roofs are more susceptible to water leaks throughout the winter, precisely because of snow accumulations that melt slowly and maintain moisture on the roof for a long time. Additionally, it favors ice build-up in the drainage system, clogging it.
Additionally, when it snows heavily, do not underestimate the pressure put by snow on the structure of the roof!
Snow and ice are natural occurrences in winter, things that we look forward to and many of us love, too. However, winter weather brings much less happiness for roofs – both snow and ice can press hard on roofing surfaces and on gutters and freezing temperatures can also be harmful. Identifying snow damage in time and damage prevention measures are essential for preserving the health of your roof, so here are some tips for you:
- Prevention – the only way to prevent winter roof damage is to prepare and to fortify the roof before the first frost. Clean the roof and the gutters from any debris, such as dust, twigs, fallen leaves, feathers and other debris, then inspect the structures for any damage that needs attention. Whatever issue you find, fix it or get it fixed right away by recommended Colorado Springs roofing companies to ensure that your roof is at its very best when snow and ice come;
- Free your roof – both snow and ice dams are very heavy and harmful for roofs, therefore they should be removed from your roof. You can use a roof rake to get snow off the roof, but ice dams are best removed manually, with gentle movements to prevent hurting your roof;
- Insulate your attic – proper insulation underneath the roof can prevent the formation of ice dams and will also improve the energy-efficiency of your entire home by preventing energy exchange.
The Better Business Bureau is a non-profit organization that has been evaluating businesses based on various criteria and making their findings public to promote trust since 1912.
The organization uses a rating system from the highest A+ to the lowest F, the letters representing the degree of confidence that one can have in the products and services of the evaluated companies. Colorado Springs roofing company specialists tell us that the ratings provided by the BBB are based on 16 factors – here are some:
- the complaint history of the business;
- the type of the business;
- the time that the business has spent actively in the business;
- the transparency of the business’ practices;
- any failure to honor commitments to the BBB;
- the licensing procedures that the business has undergone;
- any issues related to advertising.
Each rating element is associated with a certain number of points given or taken based on the specific characteristics of the assessed business. The total score that a business can achieve is 100 points, then the letter rating is awarded based on the score optioned in points. The highest rating is awarded to companies that have earned 97-100 points, while the lowest F rating is given to businesses that earn 0-59.99 points.
Incorrectly installed holiday decorations are among the most common culprits for roof damage – the pins and clips that are not suitable for being used on roofs can puncture the roofing surface and decorations that are not suitable for being used on roofs pose a fire hazard.
However, the holidays cannot be complete without lights, so here is how to hand your lights safely and correctly on your commercial roof:
- Use light strings intended for being used outdoors – these products are safe to be kept outdoors even when it is snowing and you don’t need to worry about leaving them turned on for longer periods;
- Use clips and tape intended for being used on roofs – commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO technicians emphasize that you should replace traditional nails and metal clips with plastic clips or tape designed to be used on roofs. These special fasteners do not damage the surface that they are attached to, so they are safe to use;
- Attach your lights to the edge of the roof – do not install lights on the roof surface, clipping or taping them to roof edge or to the edge of the gutter ensures much more safety for the lights as well as to the structure that the lights strings are fastened to.