Commercial roofs are usually flat structures made from some type of material that is easy to handle and install. This includes roofing membranes available in large rolls, sheets or panels of metal, or tar paper and gravel for built up structures. Given that the materials are so easy to manipulate, the installation of commercial roofs is usually a very straightforward and reasonably fast process.
Here are some things to know about these projects:
- The general rule – it is generally said that the installation of an average sized, 3,000 square feet roof takes about four days, and you should add about one more day for every 1,000 square feet of extra roof space.
- Factors that influence the actual duration – the above calculation can be relied on in the case of simple roofs. Premier Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors also advise that you must be prepared that every roof feature, such as chimneys, skylights, and other openings or structures will add installation time to the overall process.
- Installation or replacement – the installation of a roof on a new build lasts only for as long as the new materials are mounted on the roof. If you are in need of roof replacement, the duration of the project will include the time needed for removing and disposing of the old materials plus the time for the new installation.
The market of roofing materials is extremely varied and diversified these days, but asphalt shingles still seem to maintain their leading position when it comes to popularity in Colorado. Here are some of the features that make the option so great for the region:
- variety in terms of quality levels – asphalt shingles are no longer just the thin pieces that are suitable only for buildings in milder climates. Asphalt shingles offered by leading Colorado Springs roofing companies today come in a variety of quality levels, from plain and simple varieties to really sturdy, impact resistant varieties that can stand up to gale-force winds as well as to the impact caused by even the largest hail;
- Attractive appearance – asphalt shingles come in such a large variety in terms of appearance that there is surely at least one product suitable for any building. Asphalt shingles also come in a wide range of colors, a feature that also gives building owners the freedom to choose the style that meets their architecture’s features;
- Easy installation and care – asphalt shingles are quick and easy to install and extremely easy to take care of. All you will need to do to ensure that your asphalt roof is in the best condition at all times is to clean it and to inspect it, want to address any fold that you detect during the check.
If you are currently in the process of getting your roof replaced and the material that you consider the best for your building is slate, you must know that the material needs special techniques during the installation – techniques that not all roofers master. Here is why it is very important to get your new slate roof installed by a GAF Master Elite Colorado Springs roofing company who has experienced with handling stone roofs:
- a brittle and heavy material – slate roofing materials are practically slabs cut from larger pieces of stone. While slate is definitely one of the most durable and strongest roofing materials available today, the natural stone is also very brittle and breaks and chips easily if accidentally hit or dropped. To be able to get your roof installed without wasting precious material, you need a roofer who is aware of the importance of handling the slabs with gentle care;
- special fastening techniques – slate roofs are installed one slab at a time, the process requiring the use of special fasteners and special, gentle, yet efficient movements. The roofer in charge of installing your new roof must also be familiar with the ideal overlap to prevent leagues under the roof faults;
- Great tastes need some help from dexterity – slate roofs are made up from many smaller pieces of stone. Being cut from a larger rock, no two slabs look the same, which also means that achieving the best appearance requires some experience in terms of how to combine the grains and the hues.
Flat roof maintenance is among the most essential roofing tasks that you should never neglect. Ideally performed twice a year, once in fall and one more time in spring, your roof maintenance sessions should also include roof inspection. Here are some essential things to look for during that inspection:
- checking for the most common issues in sensitive areas – flat roofs tend to become more prone to damage in the areas where two types of materials meet, therefore it is very important to include all these areas into the inspection. The seams, the sides, the areas covered in flashing should all be checked to detect surface damage that could cause legs to appear;
- checking the gutter systems – the drainage of your flat roof is an essential component that ensures the roofs prolonged life. A commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO Roofing Association Member confers that roof inspections should always be extended to the drainage system as well, checking the gutters for clogs, cracks, damaged fasteners and other issues such as corrosion;
- Problems that affect the surface – blistering, punctures, cracks and sagging areas that allow for water to accumulate should all be eliminated as soon as detected, so these problems should always be checked for during roof inspections.
Commercial roofers are specialists in installing commercial roofs, that is, experts in working with the particular materials used on flat roofing structures, such as rubber membranes, metal or built up solutions. The process of handling these materials during roof installation, repair and maintenance tasks all require a variety of tools. Valued Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors tell us that these are the most common tools and devices used by commercial roofers:
- Tools used for fastening roofing materials – roofing hammers and roofing nailers are essential tools of the trade. Hammers are used for a variety of tasks, including the application of a variety of fasteners and a power nailer is also an essential tool of any roofer including commercial roofing specialists;
- Utility knives – these small, but very sharp cutting tools are also essential for a variety of roofing work, whether performed on a sloping structure or on a flat commercial roof. Whatever the roofing work, it will surely involve at least a little cutting;
- Roof cleaning devices – roof rakes and roofing brooms are also essential tools used by commercial roofers. They can be used for cleaning the roof surface after work for when the layer of snow that has accumulated on the roof is considered to be too thick.
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected all segments of the industry in many ways, including the construction segment and the roofing business in particular. One of the harmful effects of the global health crisis is the shortage of building materials of all types, including roofing materials and the resulting increase in pricing that has been slowing down the pace at which construction projects can be accomplished.
The problem of the disrupted supply chain and of hiking prices is not unique to Denver, to Colorado or to the USA – the lockdowns have led to material and labor shortages as well as to increasing tariffs all over the world. To help the companies and individuals engaged in building projects plan for the next phase in their project, many professional organizations now publish official information about the availability of the most common building materials, but the secret to being able to finalize those projects while also minimizing the related stress lies in flexibility, patience and the ability to reschedule processes. Professional organizations hope that the crisis will resolve soon, but until then, they also recommend building companies and clients to try and prolong the deadlines for their project milestones for as long as possible.
Talk to principled Colorado Springs roofing companies to find out how supply chain problems have impacted roofing completion.
One of the largest, if not the single largest surface through which energy can slip out from inside your home is surely the roof, that is why replacing your old, worn and leaking roof with a new structure made from some sort of energy efficient modern material is so beneficial for your energy bills. However, the process also has some pitfalls that you should know about and avoid:
- Not choosing the right material – there are many great energy-efficient roofing materials available on the market today. Two options that stand out in terms of lifespan attractive appearance and thermal performance are clay and cement tiles. If the two materials are to your liking, be aware that both are very heavy, therefore suitable only for solid buildings;
- Not installing insulation – an energy efficient roof is usually not just a roof consisting of just a surface material such as asphalt shingle or metal, but a roof that consists of multiple layers including adequate insulation. Failing to install that insulation is a costly mistake that is very difficult to remedy later;
- Not removing the old layer of roof – many homeowners choose to install their second layer of metal roofing on top of the old one in hope of obtaining better thermal performance. The decision is wrong from many points of view, first of all because a roof consisting of two layers is usually more unsafe then the old shabby roof used to be on its own.
Learn from the best! Contact a full service Colorado Springs roofing company for the latest advancements in energy efficient roofing.
Commercial roofs are usually very strong and extremely durable structures that are built professionally, using special materials that can stand up to almost any weather and to lots of stress, too.
However, even these extremely strong building components suffer if they are neglected, so here is how experienced commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO maintenance service contractors can prevent damage on commercial properties:
- regular inspections – one of the most important tasks involved with commercial roof maintenance is the meticulous, inch by inch checking of the roof surface as well as of the adjacent parts and accessories, such as the gutters, the roof vents and the chimneys for faults. The problems that your roofer will look for include surface damage, such as holes, punctures and sagging, damaged vents and gutters and improper sealing around roof openings;
- roof cleaning – another essential step in professional roof maintenance is the removal of any debris from the roof surface as well as from the gutters to ensure proper water drainage and drying;
- roof repairs – if the maintenance visit reveals the need for any roof repair, your roofing technician will discuss with you the best course of action and will also perform the repair after you give green light.
If you have made up your mind to get a new roof and the new structure will be similar in type to the old one, you might still want to implement some upgrades to make your new roof more efficient than the old one used to be. Here are some of the best most efficient upgrades that are certainly worth your money:
- Adding chimneys with chimney caps – the chimney is an often neglected roof feature, but an incomplete or incorrectly working chimney can waste your money by wasting precious energy make sure that your new roof is installed with modern chimneys fitted with adequate chimney caps;
- Adding roof vents – roofing ventilation is another often neglected aspect of how roofs work. According to residential Colorado Springs roofing companies, to be able to maintain your roof in good condition for a long time and to ensure that it is as energy efficient as can be, you need to ensure that the air can circulate properly underneath the roof. To achieve that you need at least one vent at the base of the roof and another one at the top right under the ridge or, if you have a flat structure, you will need adequate vents installed in important points.
Metal roofs are today among the most appreciated and most popular roof types, systems that are equally common on commercial and on residential buildings as well. However, even these extraordinary, strong structures can get damaged – after all, they are exposed to all the vicissitudes of the weather 24/7 and year around. here are some signs to indicate that your strong metal roof needs some repair:
- Signs of rust and corrosion – most alloys used for making metal roofing materials are resistant to corrosion and rust. However, the rain in most places today contains so much acid and other chemicals that even the strongest metal sheet or panel is sooner or later affected. If you see spots of rust appear on the metal panels of your roof call an adept Colorado Springs roofing company right away to address the problem while it is still small
- Loose seams – metal roofs today come in standing seam varieties as well as in seamless versions. If you see that the seams on your standing seam roof have become lose or damaged it is another sign that your roof needs repair quickly;
- Leaks – the problem is common and it can affect any roof what are made from metal or not usually the source of the leak is quite obvious but Even so you will need a professional to perform the necessary repairs.