If you are currently planning a large-scale roofing project, such as a partial or complete roof replacement, you surely want to make sure that you work with a reputable roofer, whose work is highly appreciated by previous clients. One of the best ways to find out about roofer reputation is to check the list of the Better Business Bureau website and to pick an A+ rated company.
Here are some things that you should know about BBB and their A+ rating:
- What the BBB is – BBB is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting market trust since 1912. They have two major areas of activity: rating the performance and the reliability of businesses based on a large set of criteria and the facilitation of resolution in the case of disputes;
- How BBB rates businesses – the BBB rating system uses categories marked with letters, A+ being the best rating and F being the worst. Colorado Springs roofing companies with an A+ rating (the rating that you should be looking for with your roofer) have obtained at least 97 points out of 100 during the BBB evaluation, which means that you can be confident that the services you receive will be the very best.
The roofs on commercial and residential buildings share lots of features, such as the need to be able to stand up to any weather, but they are also very different.
Here are some features that differentiate them:
- Size – commercial facilities usually cover larger square footage than residential applications, therefore commercial roofs are usually much larger than the roofs used on homes;
- Shape – while residential roofs feature a wide range of designs, from classic gable roofs and mansard roofs to shed roofs and flat roofs, commercial roofs are almost always flat structures;
- The materials used – residential and commercial roofs are different in terms of the materials they are made from. The most common options used on homes are asphalt shingles, composite shingles, clay and cement tiles, metal panels, tiles, shingles and shakes and slate. Credible Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors confirm that commercial roofs use a different range of products that includes various membranes, such as TPO and EPDM, metal panels and built-up structures, such as tar and gravel roofs;
- The requirements – the most important qualities that residential roofs are expected to possess include resistance to the elements, attractive appearance, durability and low maintenance needs, many commercial application need to add to this range resistance to chemical spills and to heavy foot traffic.
Insulation is the most effective way to reduce energy consumption and emissions in buildings. Specialists draw attention to the importance of using insulation materials right from the construction phase, in order to increase the energy efficiency of buildings, ensuring a better quality of life, sustainability and environmental protection.
Many homeowners still lose money annually due to incorrect roof insulation, both in the cold season and in the summer. Older houses do not have insulated attics, so this project must be planned with the help of a professional roofer. In the case of a roof without insulation, the owners will consume more energy to heat the houses during the winter and to cool it down during the summer.
A conscientious Colorado Springs roofing company let us know that there are several types of material used for thermal insulation of roofs: polyurethane foam, cellulose, polystyrene, mineral wool (basalt or glass). The thermal conductivity λ shows the ability of a material to transmit heat. The higher the λ value, the more heat is lost, so the weaker the insulation efficiency.
Over 25% of total energy losses happen through the roof. This percentage should be enough to understand that roof insulation is truly a very important operation in the economy of our homes.
After a while, every roof needs replacement or at least some repairs. The roof’s health has a major impact on the safety of the people living under it and the building itself, so all defects or problems must be dealt with swiftly.
When you notice that the condition of your roof has become questionable, you must carry out a careful inspection, which will help you to decide whether the roof needs to be replaced, or some repairs will do. This inspection should be done by roofing specialists, who know what to look for, due to their technical knowledge and experience.
Most problems can be repaired if the damage is not too extensive, and the roof – not too old. Patching leaks and replacing broken tiles are common operations that must be done as soon as the problem occurs, precisely to prevent bigger damage that would require reroofing. However, when disaster strikes and a large area of the roof gets damaged, experienced Colorado Springs roofing companies confirm that patching repairs may be inefficient and, in this case, your roofer will recommend you a system replacement. If you will keep repairing an inefficient roof (because you WILL have to repair it very often!), you`ll end up paying more than for replacing it, not to mention the discomfort you will experience, poor energy efficiency etc.
Reroofing is also recommended when the roof is old.
Waterproofing the roof is an extremely important step for ensuring protection against water infiltration in the house, office building or commercial space. Therefore, commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO authorities suggest that an EPDM membrane may be the long-term solution you are looking for.
Produced in large sheets, the EPDM membrane is made of a synthetic rubber specially designed to adapt to the most demanding requirements in construction and roof waterproofing.
The first EPDM membrane sheet was installed in 1980, on the roof of a building in the USA, being still functional today. Nowadays, with over 1.5 billion square meters installed globally, EPDM membrane is a reference product in waterproofing that has won the appreciation of customers through the perfect quality of waterproofing and the outstanding properties of the material from which it is made.
EPDM is a fully vulcanized membrane, composed mainly of EPDM polymer and carbon black, which offers unmatched resistance to ozone and ultraviolet radiation. Because it does not contain flame retardants or plasticizers, it has stable characteristics. The EPDM membrane remains flexible up to temperatures of 45 ° C and has an elasticity of over 300%, which gives it resistance to building movements and temperature fluctuations.
EPDM membrane can be used in a wide range of applications, from foundations, terraces, ponds and lakes to industrial waterproofing.
If you have found a home that seems suitable for your needs and requirements, you have the right to have many types of inspections performed by professionals to ensure that the systems and components of the property are in the condition that the seller says they are.
There are many reasons why home inspections are highly recommended before committing to the purchase – here are some:
- Peace of mind – buying a home is a huge investment and a huge responsibility. A home inspection performed by an expert can ensure that your new home is safe and solid or it can reveal hidden faults that you should know about to be able to make an informed final decision;
- Giving you a better negotiation position – the home inspection might reveal issues that you might consider easy to solve, but that can give you arguments to lower the buying price. For example, if the inspection reveals a minor roofing issue and you know of good Colorado Springs roofing companies that can fix it, you can negotiate a better price knowing that the problem can be solved easily;
- Forecasting future expenses – the home inspection might reveal issues that are not yet serious, but need to be addressed soon. Knowing what you will need to repair on your new home soon will help you prepare for the related expenses and to be prepared for the unexpected.
The R-value indicated in the specifications attached to insulation materials indicates the material’s resistance to conductive heat flow, that is, the material’s ability to prevent thermal exchange between two spaces. The higher the R-value indicated on a product, the more effective the product is in terms of insulation capacity.
When making decisions about the insulation materials to be installed in your home, you need to look at the R-value of the product you want to choose and you also need to consider aspects related to thickness and location. The R-value of a material can be increased by increasing the thickness and its efficiency will be reduced by any compaction. You must also be aware that the overall R-value of the insulated space will be lower than the R-value of the insulation material because heat flows more readily through exposed studs and joints. The best way to maximize the R-value of your insulated space is to consider combining insulation materials – for example, you can use an insulation blanket on your attic floor and puck a different solution for your attic walls, such as foam insulation.
To be able to make the most of your investment into home insulation, the R-value needed must be calculated carefully, based on climate features and building properties. You can turn to your designated Colorado Springs roofing company for advice and help with the calculation process as well as for consultation regarding your options.
Thermoplastic olefin, also known as TPO, is a type of popular, single-ply roofing material used on flat or low-sloping roofs on commercial or industrial buildings.
Here are some features that you should know about before you choose the material for your new roof:
- Structure, size and installation – TPO comes in white sheets comprised from three layers, a TPO base layer, a fabric core and another TPO layer on the top. TPO sheets come in two sizes: the sheets intended for commercial use are 0.080 inch thick and 3 feet or 12 feet wide and the sheets intended for residential applications that are 0.045 or 0.060 inch thick and 6.5 feet wide. The sheets are either fastened with adhesives to the roof cover board or are fastened mechanically;
- Color options – TPO sheets are available in white, grey or black;
- Benefits – TPO membranes are very affordable and they require very little maintenance. The sheets are very flexible, therefore resistant to tearing and punctures; they are resistant even to the strongest UV radiations as well as to the exposure to chemicals and they enhance the building’s overall energy-efficiency, thus contributing to reducing energy needs. In terms of durability, TPO roofs can last for up to 30 years.
For additional information about flat roofing materials, give leading Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors a call for expert consultation. You can trust them to provide you with the best information you need to make informed decisions regarding your commercial property.
When it comes to metal roofing, copper is one of the materials that can be used. A copper roof is bold and shiny and comes to be chosen due to its particularly beautiful aspect.
For centuries, copper roofs have covered the most famous architectural masterpieces in Europe. If you decide to choose this roofing solution, you should know that its value will not decrease, which means that you will never lose your investment. Also, a copper roof is recyclable.
With a copper roof, maintenance and repairs are almost non-existent. You probably know from personal experience or have heard from others that roof maintenance and repairs can be time consuming, frustrating and expensive, at least in the case of certain types of roofs. With copper roofs you will not have such hassles. In addition, in demand Colorado Springs roofing companies confirmed that such a roof will withstand even the most severe weather conditions, year after year; it will not catch fire, rust, corrode, nor require additional coating and repainting.
The only disadvantage of a copper roof is its price. The costs will be quite high, but this is only a relative disadvantage: the money will be recovered due to the durability of the roof and the savings in terms of maintenance and repairs.
Considering that almost all the planet’s resources are declining significantly from one day to the next, everyone’s attention is shifting towards renewable alternatives, environmentally friendly solutions that people can use without creating more problems or risks.
A trusted rep for a Colorado Springs roofing company tells us that solar panels are among the main options, and more and more people are starting to invest in them.
There are two main types of residential solar panels:
Photovoltaic solar panels
Photovoltaic solar panels are composed of solar cells and convert solar energy directly into electricity. Certain materials can be used to produce electricity when exposed to sunlight, and this property is known as the photovoltaic effect. Solar panels use this property to convert light energy into electricity. Furthermore, an inverter converts it into alternating current that you can use in your home. Excess electricity can be stored separately, in a storage battery, and you can use it later, for example, at night.
Solar thermal panels
They are also known as collectors or heat collectors. Unlike photovoltaic panels, solar thermal panels capture solar energy and transform it into thermal energy, water being the main heating agent. Solar thermal panels can provide only 60-80% of the hot water requirements in winter, but in summer the percent can reach 100%.