Summer might be the favorite season of many of us, but it is also a period that is difficult for roofs, a period of high heat, strong UV radiation and strong storms, too. Roofs being exposed to so much during the summer, they need all the protection they can get to be able to stand up to all the challenges – Colorado Springs roofing companies offer roof protection measures and maintenance tips that you can implement:
- Regular inspections – your roof needs to undergo two detailed, professional inspections a year, one in spring and one in fall, but it is a good idea to perform additional checks after storms and prolonged rainy periods. Stepping up the frequency of the inspections makes sure that any roof fault is caught when it is still small;
- Trim your trees – large trees keep shade and improve the quality of the air on your property, but any limb that overhangs the roof can be broken and dropped onto the roof by winds and storms. To prevent that from happening, regularly inspect your trees and cut off any branches that seem weakened;
- Maintain the drainage system – regularly cleaning, inspecting and, if necessary, repairing the gutters and the downspouts is essential for ensuring proper water shedding from the roof.
Roofing is an industry that has lots of great, knowledgeable and reliable service providers, but, like in any industry, in the roofing segment there are some dishonest contractors as well. Here are some of the most common scams used by these dishonest businesses:
- Storm chasers – these roofers drive around neighborhoods after storms, looking for damaged roofs. When they see buildings with the roof devastated by the storm, they simply knock on the doors and try to convince the property owners that they need emergency repairs for their roofs, then they ask for money to buy the necessary materials, leave and never come back;
- Very low offers – if the roofer’s offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. Very low starting bids will usually come with many unforeseen expenses, making the final amount to be paid higher than an average bid would have been for the same project;
- Damage caused by the roofer – these scammers would knock on the door saying that they have seen some easy to solve damage on your roof and they offer their service. If you accept, they will climb on the roof and create damage that was not there before to force you to pay for the repair.
- To avoid roofing scams, ALWAYS contact reputable, licensed, and insured Colorado Springs roofing company professionals that come highly recommended and reviewed.
Commercial roofing systems use very strong and durable materials, but their strength can be preserved only if they receive proper attention in the form of regular inspections and maintenance. Ideally, your roof needs to be inspected by a professional twice a year, once before summer, to check for any damage that might have appeared on the roof during the colder month and again in fall, to see whether the heat and the summer storms have caused any damage.
Here is what the process involves:
- Hiring a roofer – most fully licensed Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors provide inspection and roof maintenance services for very affordable prices, just make sure the roofer you choose is properly insured;
- The inspection – your roofer will check the roof looking at it from the ground to detect any sagging, from the attic to check for holes that might let water through and from the level of the roof to inspect for any further damage in the gutter system and on the roofing materials. Your roofer will provide a written inspection report that summarizes the findings of the inspection and the proposed repairs;
- Roof cleaning – roof inspection should be associated with professional cleaning of the roof and of the drainage system.
Getting your roof replaced is a costly process and unfortunately, it can have many pitfalls due to poor craftsmanship. To make sure that your new roof is not affected by installation mistakes, here are some things that you should inspect before approving the work performed by your roofer:
- The roof sheathing – also called the roof decking, the sheathing consists of thin boards of wood placed on the trusses and serves the purpose of supporting the roof layers on the top. Signs of improper sheathing installation include an uneven roof surface and roof fasteners that protrude;
- The underlayment – ideally, the sheathing and the roofing cover should be separated by a waterproofing layer. Check the existence of the layer – it is essential for preventing leaks;
- The placement of the nails on shingle roofs – the shingles on your roof need to be individually fastened on the roof to prevent any lifting or tearing by wind. Check whether the nails on your roof are driven in sufficiently deep;
- The overlap – whether you have shingles or tiles on your roof, the individual component need to be installed in an overlapping pattern. One of the most common roofing mistakes is to make that overlap too short. While having a shorter overlap reduces the quantity of the materials used on the roof, it increases the risk of leaks and can have severe consequences.
- For quality roofing you can count on, discuss your project with commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO trusted contractors at Interstate Roofing.
When used in the description of construction materials, the R-value is the indicator of the material’s capacity to resist heat transfer from one side of the material to the other – in other words, the value represents the efficiency of the insulation provided by the material. As a general rule, the higher the R-value, the higher the efficiency of the insulation provided by the rated material.
Every material and every substance can be rated based on its resistance to heat transfer, air just as well as cement or fiberglass. The value usually becomes important when the materials are chosen for a construction project – whether it is a residential, commercial or industrial construction, the R-value of the materials chosen will determine how energy-efficient the building is from top to bottom, how much money the building owner will have to spend on heating and cooling the building and how large the building’s environmental footprint will be. The building materials and products for which the R-value is an important feature include wall and roof insulation, siding panels, flooring, doors and windows. Whatever the product type that you need, it is recommended by quality conscious Colorado Springs roofing companies to choose the material with the highest R-value to ensure that you maximize your building’s thermal efficiency.
Hiring a knowledgeable, experienced and reliable contractor for your roofing project is an essential step before the work on your roof is started, but it is not the only step that must be accomplished – your roofer must also pull a permit for your roof before the project commences.
Here is why:
- Ensuring that your roofer is legally allowed to work on your roof – the permit for your roof is obtained by your roofer from the authorities of your town based on the contractor’s license and insurance. This also means that the permit ensures you that your Colorado Springs roofing company is legit and that you will be protected by insurance in case an accident or some other unwanted event takes place during the roofing process;
- Ensuring that your roof will be up to code – roofing permits are issued to the roofer, then, when the project is complete, an inspector of your municipality will come to check the quality of the roofing work. This means that your roof will be verified by a third-party authority and will ensure that your roof is in compliance with all applicable codes;
- Aspects related to insurance – insurers might offer more favorable conditions and lower premiums on roofs that are in compliance with applicable regulations.
Like any roof, the structures on commercial facilities can be successfully restored provided the intervention is timed right, before the roof is beyond repair. Even though many commercial roof owners choose the run-to-fail approach, completely neglecting maintenance and repair duties until the only solution is roof replacement, there are many signs that indicate roof faults that can still be repaired, prolonging the life of the roof.
Here are some:
- Leaks – commercial roofs are usually flat or low-sloping structures that are prone to water ponding. Any water that stays on the roof for too long weakens the roof surface and will eventually cause leaks to appear. Fortunately, most roof leaks are preventable with regular inspections and maintenance that includes the roof’s drainage system as well and repair is also easy if the intervention is started right after the first leak is noticed;
- Restoring strength – neglected roofs might become weaker and might threaten collapse when covered in thick blankets of snow. Inspections and timely repair action by recommended Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors to address the issues detected will give back the strength of the roof, making it strong enough to face whatever the next winter brings along;
- Restoring energy efficiency – applying protective coatings that improve the roof’s reflectivity is also among the most important restorative activities. These common coatings can reduce the heat absorbed by the roof, thus preventing any damage caused by overheating and reducing the amount of heat transferred toward the building interior.
Asphalt shingles are undoubtedly the most common and most popular materials used on pitched roofs throughout the nation and homeowners prefer the solution to many others for good reasons.
Here are some of the most important benefits of the option:
- Affordability – asphalt shingles come in various quality levels, but even high-end varieties are among the most affordable options;
- A wide range of designs – Credible Colorado Springs roofing companies assure us that asphalt shingles come in an extremely wide array of designs. While some varieties display a typical asphalt shingle look, others are made to replicate high-end materials, such as wood or slate. The color options available with asphalt shingles are also very wide, from traditional colors, such as shades of brown and grey or terracotta to unusual, modern hues, such bright red, blue or black;
- Suitability for various climates – while simple asphalt shingle varieties are recommended mostly for climate areas that are not prone to extreme events, such as hurricanes or strong hail, high-end shingle options can easily withstand harsh weather. There are options suitable even for homes in areas prone to storms and hail – impact resistant shingles are extensively tested among laboratory circumstances to ensure their suitability for regions frequently hit by large hail and the often get high winds.
Roofing contractors are different in terms of their experience, specialization and pricing, but they all need to fulfill certain conditions to be allowed to practice legally.
Here is how to check if the roofer that you want to turn to is legitimate:
- Check the roofer’s license – roofers are required to obtain a state-issued license to be allowed to work legally. To get that license, they need to study for a long time and they also need to pass lots of difficult exams, so a licensed roofer is not only one that can operate a legit business, but also one that is a master of their trade;
- Check the roofer’s insurance – most states require roofers to be insured, more precisely, to carry at least a general liability insurance and a worker’s compensation insurance if they work with a team. Ask the roofer to show you a copy of their insurance policies and check the validity of the document;
- Check references – a legitimate Colorado Springs roofing company will provide a list of references that you can also check. When you get that list from the prospective roofer, do take the time to check some items on the list to be able to get a general idea about the quality of the roofer’s work.
A collaboration with a commercial roofing company is very important for ensuring that the roof on your building stays strong and healthy for as long as possible. Here are some tips to identify potential contractors in your area:
- Ask around – you probably know other business owners who work with a contractor to take care of the roof on their building. Ask these people to provide you references and to tell you about their experiences – after all, word of mouth is till the most reliable way to obtain first-hand information;
- Look online – most roofing companies today have websites on which they present their services. Use your internet browser to find local contractors that specialize in commercial roofs, then take your time to check each website. While evaluating commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO contractors, look for a roofer that is suitably licensed and insured and that offers references as well;
- Contact the roofers who seem suitable – personal meetings are also essential, so contact the roofers that you find suitable, tell them about your roof and request roofing cost estimates from them. Before you make your final decision, collect three or four estimates and compare the documents in terms of pricing, material quality and the warranties offered by the roofers.