You can expect a common roof to reach its lifespan after about 20 years. The perspective of a replacement may seem intimidating, because it is a complex project and it also requires a large financial investment, that`s why you must start planning in advance and be prepared when the time comes.
Luckily, there are also ways to save money on a roof replacement and instead of paying $20,000, which represents a midrange roof replacement, you can pay only up to $10,000.
The first thing you should consider is the fact that the price for a roof replacement varies greatly, depending on the materials you choose and the area of your roof. Obviously, there is nothing you can do about shrinking your roof area, but you can opt for cost effective roofing materials. The most expensive materials are also the most durable, but if you are on a budget, you can opt for the best price-quality ratio, which can be found in products such as asphalt shingles.
Another way to save money on your roof replacement is to shop around for affordable Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors. Be wary of very low bids, but take into account reliable local contractors who offer discounts and quality services.
You should schedule your roof replacement for late winter or early spring, as contractors are not so busy in this time of the year and are willing to make special offers to attract clients.
Finding a good Colorado Springs roofing company is no easy task. If you want to avoid any problems and botched roofing jobs, consider following these guidelines on how to select the best and most reliable roofing contractor for a specific roofing job that you want help with:
- Start by evaluating exactly what type of project you want help with.
- What type of new roof do you want to have installed, or what type of repair do you need help with. Jot down all the details.
- Start your search online, and limit it to small, local roofing companies specializing in the type of task you need help with.
- Write down the names and contact details of all the relevant roofers you find.
- Narrow down your search to include only licensed, insured and bonded roofers that have at least 4-5 years of experience.
- Check all of their track record as well as any complaints associated with their names on the BBB website.
- Look up reviews and online ratings.
- Call the best of them and ask them to provide you with some insight on how they can help you.
- Ask for references and for a detailed, written quote.
- Weigh in all your options, and narrow it down to the one roofing contractor that has the services and costs that are best suited to your needs and budget.
Managing a complex roofing project is no easy task, and it’s no secret that not all contractors are up to it. If you ask some homeowners and business owners, you will hear horror stories of how they hired a contractor that seemed professional, only to have to spend double the cost on a roofing installation job that should have gone smoothly and be done within a few days.
To avoid such issues, it’s a good idea to have a roofing contractor checklist that will help you determine who to hire:
- Define the project or job you need help with in as much detail as you can. For example, if you want a new roof, do some research on the type of roof you have and the type you want to install, and consider all the details and ramifications of the installation job.
- Look up some of the best local Colorado Springs roofing companies who claim to specialize in the type of job you need help with. Make a list with their company names and contact details, and begin asking your neighbors and colleagues if they know about them, doing a background check on the legitimacy of their claims (including looking up reviews) and, of course, calling to see if the information they give you is legitimate and matches your findings.
- Meet up with each roofer you’re thinking about hiring, and talk to them about your project. You will want as many details as possible about how they can help you, before making your final choice.
Roofing contractors come in all shapes and sizes, and while some of them specialize in installing roofs and getting the most difficult jobs done for large businesses, others work more in the residential roofing industry, and are better suited to dealing with the needs of homeowners.
Depending on your needs, it’s important to consider hiring a Colorado Springs roofer with more experience, and for companies owning large commercial buildings, this consideration is extremely crucial. If you don’t want your roof to keep leaking or your roof repair expenses to keep increasing over the next few months, it’s very important to seek out a highly skilled and experienced commercial roofer, instead of hiring a general contractor.
While general contractors are great for small time repairs and managing residential projects, a large commercial project requires the presence of a top notch commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO professional because there is far less margin for error. A commercial roofing expert will be able to guide you through all the various details, and help you figure out what the best course of action is even in dealing with custom roofing projects.
If you don’t want any slip-ups, and you are truly committed to improving the condition of your roof, while even enhancing your building’s energy efficiency, appeal and maintenance-free operations, consider calling your local commercial contractors today to establish a meeting.
Colorado Springs roofing company experts are often talking about the necessity of gutters and why they have to be kept clean and in good condition at all times.
Here are just a few of the most essential reasons you need to consider:
- Gutters are responsible for allowing rainwater to safely get from your roof to the ground without affecting the structure of your home. As a result, everything from water damage to your roof, to siding damage and even foundation damage can be prevented as long as you simply keep your gutters clear of any unwanted debris and anything that could clog them or damage their structure over time.
- Your gutters should also be kept clean in order to discourage the presence of pests. Some insects as well as other pests, can be drawn to dirty or clogged gutters, where they could even set up their nests or create an infestation that can affect your entire home.
- Clean gutters will be free of debris and dirt, allowing water to move freely and preventing damage that would require extensive repairs down the line. As a result, it’s very much in your financial interest to keep your gutters clean at all times, since it will prolong their lifespan, prevent the need for frequent repairs and help you save a lot of cash over the next few years.
When it comes to roofing, tar and gravel roofs don’t always receive the kind of recognition they deserve. In many cases roofing experts and building owners talk about choices such as bitumen and EPDM roofing, as well as metal panel and solar panel roofing choices for promoting either durability or energy efficiency. However, lower cost choices such as asphalt and gravel are typically quite underrated.
Tar and gravel roofing is one of these underrated types of roofing, and many reputable Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors feel that company owners in search of a robust and affordable roofing system should know more about them. Tar and gravel roofs usually consist of 3-5 layers of laminated asphalt combined with hot tar, roofing felt, and gravel used to cover the darker sheets. The gravel has the role of weighing down the roofing materials, ensuring that they are durable enough, and protecting them against UV radiation.
In warmer areas, where sunlight is abundant, tar and gravel roofing is considered to be an excellent choice for insulating and protecting the roof and building against excessive UV rays and ensuring that building owners can also save a considerable amount of money on electricity and gas. If you choose tar and gravel roofing, your roof will last longer, and your long term expenses will also be significantly reduced.
DIY roofing is great when you want to make sure that you don’t spend too much money on your roof repairs. However, in many cases, DIY methods don’t take into account the complexities of a roof repair job, especially when you’re looking to fix up an area of your roof that has been affected by mold.
The trick is that mold can appear because of a variety of reasons. Sometimes, the roof is simply old and tattered, and the mold has arisen as a result of structural damage and removed coating. In this instance, it may be possible to use DIY solutions to simply scrape off the mold and repair the roof without calling in the professionals. However, in other cases, the damage and the mold itself can also extend to internal areas of your roofing structure, literally eating it away from the inside. In this case call mold removal Colorado Springs roofing companies asap.
To make sure that your roof’s interior structure hasn’t been affected, and to ensure that you are taking every necessary steps to deal with it if it has been, call on your local roofing experts for a detailed roof inspection. You can then discuss what the next step should be and how much you should consider investing in professional roof repair, based on their findings.
In Colorado, roofing contractors are included in the general contractors’ class. For this reason, they are not required to provide a state license but a business license. The main purpose of this license is to show that the company has been active for at least 2 years and it is issued by two Colorado municipalities.
It is the evidence of passing a nationally recognized examination that allows the roofing contractor to work on residential and commercial property. But, even though the state of Colorado doesn’t require a special roofing contractor’s license, it doesn’t mean that a good roofing contractor shouldn’t have some qualifications.
Licensed commercial roofing Colorado Springs CO contractors work should be based on a legally binding contract, which should include the total payment that he claims for his services. A typical Colorado contract also requires to mention the materials to be provided and the type of work that is about to be made, the working the length of time and the cost for any eventual damages or the liability coverage insurer.
Remember that a licensed roofing contractor should never ask for payment in advance for work or materials. Anyway, the contract that you sign should contain a policy regarding the construction cancellation and the refund procedure.
On the market, there is a wide variety of materials for commercial roofs. When you choose one, you have to consider the structure of the building and other factors, like climatic conditions, and or if its surface will be exposed to high foot traffic. This is why it is important to choose qualitative roofing products.
- TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin), PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), and EPDM Roofing (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) are incredibly robust and flexible materials. These are resistant to cracking and peeling caused by humidity or heat and are designed to be installed in a single layer. These materials are most commonly used in low slope roofs.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems are made from a combination between asphalt and a chemical polymer. This material is applied in multiple layers and it is very resistant to high or low temperatures, and to wind, hail or fire.
- Roof Coating Systems are made from acrylic and silicone. This fluid-applied membrane is a coating metal roofs, protecting it against leaks. This way, it prolongs the life of a commercial roof.
- Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Panels and green roofs absorb natural sunlight and help to reduce energy costs. Both of them can help with long-term cost savings.
Trusted Colorado Springs commercial roofing contractors will discuss the best roofing materials for your building and budget.
When replacing the roof or building a new one, it is important to know what type of material should you choose. The most important factors for you to consider when choosing one are durability, energy efficiency and longevity.
If you want to make sure that your roofing material is durable enough, you could consult with a seasoned Colorado Springs roofing company expert to help you. Meanwhile, you can also consult this list.
- Metal roofing material made from aluminum, steel, copper or zinc are significantly more durable and have a long lifespan, up to 50 years. This material also impacts resistance and need less maintenance than others. Because a metal roof acts as a natural insulator, it is energy efficient and it is also is 100% recyclable.
- The plastic polymer is incredibly durable roofing material. It can last more than 50 years and require little maintenance and is very energy efficient.
- Asphalt shingles may be the most popular roofing material, but make sure to choose the one with a good indicator of impact resistance and overall durability. Asphalt shingles can last up to 30 years.
- Slate is one of the oldest roofing materials but is also one of the most expensive ones. It can last more than 100 years and it is fireproof. The main inconvenience though is that slate tiles can crack under heavyweight.